Proxxon Saw Table

Hi shipwrights

Over here in blighty we do not appear to have the selection of good quality modelling size machines that those in the USA have. If we can find them they are very expensive!!

I'm starting to build up a "kit" to tackle my next project........... a scratch build, most likely Cutty Sark.

My question is.............. does anyone use a Proxxon FKS/E saw table?  If so can you recommend it?  Or maybe it is too big and would not cut fine enough?

Many thanks

Derek

Derek the man from Kent, UK

HMS Victory by Derek - Jotika

In the pipeline............. Scratch build Cutty Sark

I use their FET table saw which I find excellent. I can cut strips to an accuracy of 0.1mm or even 0.05mm without much of a problem (although I do use a set of feeler gauges to be absolutely certain), and I cut strips of 1mm width or less. On this model the blade can be angled which allows me to make jigs for octagons etc.

If you look at the Russian, French and German ship forums as well as miniature furniture making forums you'll find most people use Proxxon without complaint.

You can find the FET saw at SAT Berlin for €269.68 which works out at £199.95 today. Shipping comes at €14.90 or £11.06. As it's from Germany you pay no import duty or VAT so it's much cheaper than buying over here in the UK -- though you do have to put up with the continental plug!

I think the FKS/E is the older version of the FET.

Tony

Just to amplify Tony's advice to buy in Germany. Do It! The prices in the UK are a rip off. Either SAT Berlin or TBS-Aachen. will see you right. I have bought all but one of my Proxxon tools this way though I do not have either of their saw tables though as I believe the Byrnes saw from the USA to be a better bit of kit, more expensive but better. 

Good luck with your "tooling up"

Mike.

Previous Build: LA gun deck cross section.
Previous Build: Lancia Armata. Panart 1:16
Previous Build: HMS Pickle. Jotika Build.

HMS Triton cross section 1:32.

Shelved awaiting improved skills:

Chuck"s Cheerful.

Current build.

Tender Avos.

HM cutter Alert.

:

I bought mine from Conrad, Uk based but all products are shipped from there German sister company, I found them cheaper than any other supplier I could find including ebay and to make things even better I bought the MF70Mill, DB250 Lathe and Ks230 Circular saw and got a £10.00 discount on each unit. Buying from UK also helps me if there is to be any faults and a guarantee is brought to bear. Conrad were very good suppliers and the parcels received were well packed and tracked with UPS. As for the Proxxon range, brilliant tools for this hobby, the lathe is perfect for mast and many other items 

Many thanks Tony, Mike and Paul. It looks like Proxxon is the way to go then.  :)

I can't afford the Byrnes saw from the USA. I just can't justify it on my pension!

I will check out the prices of the German suppliers of Proxxon and the UK supplier recommended by Paul. 

Thanks again

Derek

Forgive me for stealing the thread. Can someone do a side by side comparison (in performance, not price ;)) between the Byrnes and the Proxxon table saws?

Edited by Ulises Victoria

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Just to amplify Tony's advice to buy in Germany. Do It! The prices in the UK are a rip off. Either SAT Berlin or TBS-Aachen. will see you right. 

Mike.

Even Amazon.de is cheaper. I've bought a few tools tools from Amazon.de and the only problem is whether they'll ship to Turkey or not. If they do I can make a considerable saving even with a bit of tax lumped on by the Turks. 

If I'd known I was going to live this long, I'd have taken better care of myself.

Thanks Mike ref Amazon

Checked all the suppliers and SAT Berlin are by far the cheapest. Even the delivery cost is very reasonable.

Looks like I may be ordering a Proxxon FET; DSH Scroll saw; DB250 lathe   :)    I so wish I hadn't sold my Myson lathe!!!!!

Just have to work on the wife now. I'll tell her she can now buy as many cookery books as she likes :D   She sneaks them into the house anyway!!!  :o

Derek

Many thanks for your input John, it is much appreciated. I will definitely go the Proxxon route. 

Derek

I wish you all the best with your new tools, enjoy,

best regards John.

Hi John ( Neptune)

The price you quote for the MF 70 milling machine is excellent - compared to prices on offer in OZ. I have bought a number of Proxxon tools locally ( even if they cost a bit more) mainly because I am concerned about warranty backup when purchasing from overseas. How does purchasing this tool direct from Germany effect your warranty?

Cheers

Steve

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina

In Europe buying from Germany is straightforward as there are no taxes to worry about. SAT have the usual returns system, and Proxxon have their guarantee beyond that if you need to return something to them. The most you can get into is the cost of posting something back to them.

Tony

When you think about it, buying from Germany is no different from buying from the UK if you are buying off the net. Unless the dealer is within a reasonable distance you are unlikely to go to their premises.

Also, if you pay via credit card then the card company are equally responsible as the dealer that you buy from if anything goes wrong.

Proxxon appear to be a reputable company so I wouldn't think twice about buying from them.

Derek

When you think about it, buying from Germany is no different from buying from the UK if you are buying off the net. Unless the dealer is within a reasonable distance you are unlikely to go to their premises.

Also, if you pay via credit card then the card company are equally responsible as the dealer that you buy from if anything goes wrong.

Proxxon appear to be a reputable company so I wouldn't think twice about buying from them.

Derek

Thanks Derek, but I was actually interested in John's ( Neptune) take on the warranty issue. I'm sure that purchasing from Germany would not be an issue if you were in the UK but could be if you are a zillion kilometres away in Australia.

Hornet

Current Build: - OcCre Shackleton’s Endurance. 

Completed Ship Builds:

Caldercraft - HM Bark Endeavour. (in Gallery)

Caldercraft  - HMAV Bounty (in Gallery)

Caldercraft - HM Brig Supply (In Gallery)

Aeropiccola - Golden Hind

- Constitution

Clipper Seawitch (maker unknown - too long ago to remember!)

Corel - Victory

Modeller's Shipyard - A Schooner of Port Jackson - In Gallery

- Brig `Perseverance' - In Gallery

- Cutter `Mermaid'- In Gallery

- Sirius Longboat (bashed) - In Gallery

- Sloop Norfolk - In Gallery

Completed Cannon:   - French 18th Century Naval Cannon

- Napoleonic 12 pound field piece

- English 18th Century Carronade

Non Ship Builds - Sopwith Camel - Artesania Latina

- Fokker DR1 - Artesania Latina