USF Constellation 1797 by Jparsley - Artesania Latina - 1:85 scale

Jeff,

I'm late to see your build. I'm sweating out the gun ports on my AL build, but will use your build as inspiration. Your detailing is more than I plan on my build, and adds a lot. Can you show another long shot of your build? It is such a beauty, and I would like to see it with the new detailing.

Bob

"Even while the storm raged at it's worst, my ship was wholesome and noble." - Captain Joshua Slocum

Current Builds:

L'Hermione 1780 - 1:89 - Artesania Latina   http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10261-hermione-la-fayette-1780-by-bobstrake-artesania-latina-scale-189/#entry305929<p>

Louise - 1:26 - Constructo  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/11855-louise-by-bobstrake-constructo-scale-126/?p=360370

Completed Builds:

Carmen 1850 - 1:80 - Constructo - First Build   http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10398-carmen-1850-by-bobstrake-constructo-scale-180/#entry31137

Jeff,

Just a suggestion, but before you go too much further, drill the holes for the masts.  If something goes amiss during this, you don't want a lot of deck furniture that can be damaged or need to be removed.   I thought the instructions had the holes being drilled earlier than this.... I could be wrong as I built mine totally out of sequence.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Oh yeah, she's a beauty! Thanks for the view.

Bob

"Even while the storm raged at it's worst, my ship was wholesome and noble." - Captain Joshua Slocum

Current Builds:

L'Hermione 1780 - 1:89 - Artesania Latina   http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10261-hermione-la-fayette-1780-by-bobstrake-artesania-latina-scale-189/#entry305929<p>

Louise - 1:26 - Constructo  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/11855-louise-by-bobstrake-constructo-scale-126/?p=360370

Completed Builds:

Carmen 1850 - 1:80 - Constructo - First Build   http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10398-carmen-1850-by-bobstrake-constructo-scale-180/#entry31137

G'day Jeff

Just starting to watch your log and I think you have done a marvellous job. Keep up the great work!

Haveagreatone

Greg

"Nothing is impossible, it's only what limitations that you put on yourself make it seems impossible! "

Current log : The Royal Yacht Royal Caroline 1749 1:32 by Greg Ashwood:...

• 2 weeks later...

Ok sorry everyone for the delay Had to leave town for a while

Took your advice mark and drilled the holes for the masts and the bowsprit With the dowels in place it almost looks like a ship Slow progress of late but I promise more updates soon

post-18711-0-94303800-1436821499_thumb.jpg

post-18711-0-86018800-1436821542_thumb.jpg

post-18711-0-47672000-1436821573_thumb.jpg

post-18711-0-07644600-1436821610_thumb.jpg

The masting is looking the part and looking good, Jeff.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Looking good.  Once a mast gets installed the model takes on a whole dimension.  Kind of renews the excitement of the build... at least for me.

Looking good, Jeff.  I'd call them wales (not whales... those are a different critter ;)  :P ).  If you can, put a touch of flat black paint in the hawse pipes...  I think you'll be even happier with them. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys a very quick update started working on Not sure what they are called but first attempt was rather bulky and cramped together so I started to think Hum What do I have that could possibly look better Wa la tooth picks so I drilled sanded and came up with this think it looks much better and more proportional what do you think

post-18711-0-82593700-1438307433_thumb.jpg

post-18711-0-28873400-1438307470_thumb.jpg

post-18711-0-04677900-1438307598_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jparsley

Jeff,

Nice idea.  It is simple and it looks good.  The kit instructions want you to put a square hole in the flat piece and insert the square pegs.  Making tiny square holes is a bit of a challenge.  I overcame this by cutting the square pieces and gluing them on both sides of the flat piece so they looked like they were actually put through a square hole.  In reality, there was no hole.  Your idea was much simpler and cleaner and it looks great.  She is coming along nicely.  :cheers:

Tom

Thank you so much tom I tried the square peg through the strip I tried cutting them like you did but couldn't line them up like I liked them they looked bulky to me so I figured I would go with something thinner I appreciate your comment to look at mine and yours it's nice to know you liked mine

Ok guys after inspecting all these wonderful ships on this site I decided to darken my planking a bit Using a sharp pencil I traced over my planks then I used an ordinary eraser to remove the darkness some I've posted a before and after on how the planking looks any ideas?

post-18711-0-20273300-1439438042_thumb.jpg

post-18711-0-15726000-1439438090_thumb.jpg

I like it the after look.. just crisper. 

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

The pencil edgings definitely brings out the decking features.  Great decision.

Jeff,

Treenailing is always a builder option.. :)   Moreso at the smaller scales.  Do what you'll be happiest with.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: