USF Constellation 1797 by Jparsley - Artesania Latina - 1:85 scale

Moving right along.  It is coming along nicely.  I agree with the infinite learning curve.  The old adage, "I wish I knew then what I know now." really applies to this hobby... especially if your on your first ship like me.  Keep up the good work.

Incidentally, I am using the exact embroidery thread from Joann Fabrics for my rigging.  It seems to work well and comes in a variety of thicknesses and colors.

Edited by toms10

Ok finished my little boat oars made out of round tooth picks and basswood veneer left over from planking Used a couple of pins and made a cute little rope coil Made a wooden rudder and handle since the metal one was ugly Figured it should match the ship Hope it looks good to you guys sorry the pictures aren't great my iPhone 5c does not have the best camera

post-18711-0-56735100-1442038698_thumb.jpg

post-18711-0-23799600-1442038729_thumb.jpg

post-18711-0-67704000-1442038757_thumb.jpg

That looks far more of a priority than a ship model, Jeff.  And it's very well done.  Are you scratch building it? 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

No it's a kit Crappy wood Splinters and is vaniered plywood as I can tell its four different kinds of wood pressed together I think my next one may just be a scratch build so I can actually use quality wood Thanks for the compliment I'm trying to do a good job for her

Just a little bit on my side note It's coming along love my daughter love building stuff for her but this is proving to be a difficult build quality wise woods to flexible and rough Can't sand smooth enough without getting into other layers it's literally like six layers of veneer glued together Help it makes the painting spotty and rough I want my boat back lol

post-18711-0-96067200-1442661092_thumb.jpg

It's looking good. She'll love it.

Built one myself for my two daughters - still have it - Granddaughters played with it till they outgrew it.  I mounted mine on a piece of 1/2 inch plywood and put wheels (casters) under it so they could move it around. Bought sheet (paper) with fake grass on it from model RR shop and glued it down for a lawn.

I don't know how elaborate you want to get but I picked up some scale wallpaper and floor "tile" in a local doll house supply store. Comes in 8.5 x 11 sheets, real easy to use. The "flooring" is a solid sheet - like linoleum - but just glues down and cuts easily.

Have fun !

The joy will not be the quality of the wood or the neatness of the paint.  It'll be the joy in her eyes that "Dad made this for me".   And so it will go and hopefully she'll pass it down to her daughter with "Granddad made this for me and now wants you to have it." and there will be two sets of eyes aglow.

And don't short sell yourself.. it looks great.

Edited by mtaylor

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I second what Mark said above. Mine is no work of art but even at 9 years of age my granddaughter still asks me to bring it out of storage for her to play with and this was her mother's and aunt's doll house. I might add that this doll house is about 35 years old give or take.  Yours looks great. Stay the course. She will love it.

Everything everyone else said above Jeff!

Looks awesome..she'll love it and her Dad made it for her! Can't buy that! 

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Jay,

Just coming aboard, Well Done! You have overcome a lot of challenges.

And a happy birthday to your daughter. Hand built toys are becoming a thing if the past, it doesnt matter if you think its a work of art or not, she is going to treasure it, and most likely your grand kids will too.

Sam

Current Build Constructo Enterprise

Yes...will say a prayer all goes well today and for a fast recovery for the days after....

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

I clicked "like" for support.  I don't like the surgery thing....    Here's wishing a good outcome and full recovery.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

That's great news, Jeff... the good guys have one another one!!!!  post-76-0-63198400-1442878674.gif

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: