NRG just got a plug on facebook from Marlinspike Magazine https://www.facebook.com/marlinspikemagazine/photos/pb.1374820299447758.-2207520000.1427468708./1548959752033811/?type

Marlingspike is a "by tall ship sailors, for tall ship sailors" journal that delivers great modern tall ship content. Its  a nice surprise to see that they gave a nod to the NRG, they never mention ship model building so this is a great plug to get.

But it brings to mind the Model Ship World facebook page is kind of a dud. This Model Ship World facebook page is linked right here on the homepage in a sidebar right above the spinning globe thingy:

https://www.facebook.com/ModelShipWorld

Sadly the only posts to be found on this facebook page are descriptions of server issues preventing the functionality of the page. There are a total of seven photos in the album and the "about" section is completely blank.

The NRG's facebook page is also a virtual ghost town https://www.facebook.com/pages/Nautical-Research-Guild/127406460658253?fref=ts 69 likes, 11 visits!  last udate November 2014 and again: a total of seven photos.

It strikes me that a facebook page is as important as a business card in todays world, people expect every organization to have one and it is a tool for marketing that everyone relates to. Its a shame these two facebook pages fail to reflect the richness of our hobby and the great content to be found on THIS website.

Having said that I FULLY understand the volunteer nature of the staff and there must certainly be a great deal of work being done all day every day by many unseen hands in both organizations.

Still I just couldn't help pointing out this issue.

post-3035-0-37449500-1427469792_thumb.png

Its not really an issue.....not with the staff anyway.   Members should post there...otherwise its just a one-way street.   The staff doesnt have much to say.....but our members probably do   ;)  we built it....but nobody uses it.   What can all of you as a members do to make it more robust and interesting?

Personally I can't see any point in having a Facebook page. Anyone interested in ship modelling doesn't take long to stumble across MSW, see how great it is and join. I have a Facebook account ( only use it to access messenger and communicate with a brother in New Guinea as phone calls run at $25 per minute) MSW has many, many similarities to Facebook and appears, to me, to have more security. I think the lack of use of the MSW Facebook account might reflect the same attitude from the vast majority of MSW members.

Edited by hornet
  • 2 weeks later...

So, I did post one or two things to the MSW Facebok page, as have some other folks. But these submissions are shunted to an off to the side "submissions to page" area that is not visible when first you visit. You have to know they are there and hunt for them on the left side. It appears that photos do not appear there at all? And it is sort of irrelevant since only the latest four or five posts are visible. Older posts vanish and can not be seen.  The ones I put up a week or so ago are gone. This should certainly be changed to a system most other facebook pages use where user provided content becomes visible in the main feed. (I'm calling the central column of posts that all facebook pages have the "main feed".) The main feed now, as I said above when I started this thread, is nearly entirely made up of descriptions of server functionality issues that have come and gone, pages of them. The scroll goes back to 2013, but the only posts not dealing with server issues are one about the merger with the NRG and  about four ship model photos, which appear each time the pages administrator changed the profile photo. Thats it, no ship model content at all, no user submitted photos or content. 

Other facebook pages use this same model in which user content plays no roll- popular movies, singers or political figures-  but they all have SOMEONE adding content that reflects the theme of the page. The MSW Facebook page is offering no ship model content and user submitted content is hardly visible.

As I said in my post above, I understand there is likely a lack of manpower to police a facebook page and keep it running smoothly and sanely. But at the very least the administrator of the page should be encouraged to take the time to remove ALL those posts about server issues. 

I can't see the need for a 'business card'. This forum is already its business card but it's certainly not a business that is seeking to make profits over the running expenses. People who are ship modellers can find this site even with the simplest of searches. And, as others have said, Facebook is a very exploitative business of its own for which we provide its business card as recompense for the attraction of a convenient way of keeping up with family photos etc. The justification for a Facebook page for MSW is what it's being used for by members at the moment -- which is the alternative means of communicating about this site.

Tony

It would make perfect sense to delete the MSW facebook page entirely if maintaining it properly is not possible but NOT because facebook is an evil force of some kind.

Facebook is a tool for spreading information to a wider audience, its an advertising medium.  presumably that is why steps were taken to make the MSW facbook page in the first place. But the page has been in limbo and lacks functionality, it needs someone to either delete it entirely or remove all the "the server is down" posts. It should also be reconfigured to allow user submissions to appear in the news feed. 

If the goal of MSW is to spread information about ship model building to a wide audience then it makes perfect sense to maintain a facebook page since it is the easiest and most inexpensive way to advertise MSW.

Frank

Facebook was intended to be used when our site went down or something like that.  It was so we could actually communicate to everyone in the case we couldnt do it here in the forum.  Thats it.  We wont delete it for that reason.  Nobody likes using facebook.   Facebook and Twitter may be popular with some folks...but not really that many.  Especially among our ranks.   The last thing I need and the staff needs is to manage and moderate two sites.  Its fine just the way it is.   We  DONT want model content on FB.  We want it posted here.

Use face book if the site has issues and thats about it.  I check it maybe once a week or once every two weeks.  If the site goes down...I am there all the time.

CLEARLY facebook is frowned upon here on MSW, and this explains the virtual cobwebs on MSW's facebook page. And certainly it would add to the workload of the MSW staff to make that facebook page reflect the rich content here on MSW. But you have to acknowledge that facebook is far from "not that popular" or that "nobody uses it".

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2014/10/29/almost-as-many-people-use-facebook-as-live-in-the-entire-country-of-china/

Frankie,

It's not that it's "frowned upon".. it's just that many of us just don't use it for one reason or another.   In my case, it's been some of the statements Zuckerberg has made along with the "privacy" thing.   Users aren't the customers of Facebook, they are the product being sold to advertisers. 

Anyway, I digress... why hit FB and MSW when going to MSW is the better option?

I do not see point. Post your photos on MSW FB page? Why? To be covered and turned to deep by next photos? It is better, if you wish to put a link of your bild log on MSW on your owen FB page. Public some coment as a FB post? Why? You can post PM on MSW directly to any of moderators you want

But can be usefull for informations as problems with server. Also can be replaced by mailing lists

Edited by Nenad

If you really think Facebook is safe and harmless, then read this CBS News article. http://www.cbsnews.com/news/five-hidden-dangers-of-facebook/

I've read too many News stories about people sharing their vacation photos of their vacation in Cancun or Bahamas or wherever in REAL TIME only to come back home from their vacation to find the burglars have ransacked their home because the burglars saw on Facebook that they were out of town of two weeks. 

Far too many people post photos of the interior of their homes (showing all manner of VALUABLES in the background) and forget to turn off the geotags before they upload the photos; so now the bad guys have the exact coordinates of the home AND they know exactly what to look for to steal.

Sorry ! There is way too much personal information being "shared" on Facebook to be considered either safe or prudent.

Turning off the geo-tag on my camera was the first thing I did with it. You never know! Everybody and their brother wants to have their head up our butts so they can figure out how to bleed more money out of us, not to mention things worse. Too many bad stories about FB out there to trust them. Rule # 1--Never trust anybody too much.

Whether it is FB or whatever other public site like it, we are at MSW. If MSW decides to have a FB page for emergency reasons fine. If not, I hope they'll never mention me on it. People tend to give away their privacy, and in my opinion, their integrity. You don't need to here on MSW. As far as I know, only what I put in a topic through a post is visible, and that is only what I care to share. If something more private needs to be shared you can use a PM or ask someones personal emailaddress.

Let MSW be what it is, and should be: A community of model ship builders, with a healthy interest in modeling, and their community members. Don't make it an other source of income for the Zuckerberg's of this world, for they only use you!!!

Just to add - Goole is also Big Brother who watchs you !!!! A lot of photos published on MSW appear in Google !!!!!

If you pay your attention to the bottom of main MSW page to see who is on-line, you can often see there Google, Bing, Yahoo and another searching (read: spy) robots

"Viva la" Orvel's "1984", and I do not like it

It seems this are things we have to live with, like them or not, same as air polution etc etc

"Brave new world" !!!! Give me one, take me two or three

Anyway, take care of your own privacy in any way you are able to care about

Edited by Nenad

I did not make my original point strong enough since all of you commenting thus far appear to believe I am advocating MSW users join facbook. THIS IS NOT WHAT I AM SAYING.

My point is that the the way the model ship world facebook page looks now it does not appear to represent what MSW offers. With a few simple tweaks it COULD function as a FREE advertisement to non-msw members who otherwise will not hear about MSW. Let me stress again that I am not advocating anyone HERE join facebook. Before I read Chucks explanation that the MSW facebook page was only intended as an alternative means of communication of-by-and-for MSW members in the event that this site  should again go down I had no idea that it was not envisioned as an advertising beacon trying to draw in new members. 

So please don't view my advocacy of a better facebok page as some imaginary burden I am trying to inflict on anyone. I'm advocating the use of facebook as a recruitment tool, which in my ignorance is what I imagined it was intended to be.

The fact is that there are over a BILLION facebook users and more every day. Lets say one half of one percent of all facebook users are interested in model ships. Thats FIVE MILLION PEOPLE. 

I am NOT an expert on demographics and I have no idea if anyone has ever run numbers on percentages of people interested in model ships. But I will take a guess that not all people interested in ship models have ever heard of MSW, and facebook can be a way for some of those conjectural five million people to find MSW.

Frankie,

I know what you are saying, and I understand your reasoning. However, if MSW/NRG does not wish to use FB the way you seem to want them to use it, than that's final. Do not press this matter any further, for, as you have found out, the majority of this community does not find it necessary either - not to say they oppose strongly to it - and those responsible for this site do not support it either. MSW is easily found, look at all the nationalities surrounding you ... Let there be an end to this fruitless discussion (if I may be so bold ...)