timing belts and pulleys

I came across this mod for a Preac saw. Toothed pulleys and a timing belt replaced the stock ones. Anyone know where you would get these and what you would properly call them. The existing belt is a 1/4 x 14 inch Truflex and the motor shaft is 0.55 inch in diameter. I'd love to try this out.

Kurt

post-5356-0-62980300-1428179246.jpg

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

Don't know for sure but the pullys and belt are probably standard parts.  Do a google search for toothed belts/pully and see what you find.

BTW there is a guy on eBay that sells a similar kit for Dremel table saws.

My advice and comments are always worth what you paid for them.

Greetings Kurt,

This type of belt may not be suitable for your rig. I would check with the manufacture before making the change. Note that this belt will not slip if the blade fetches up on something which could result in damage to the blade, the piece you're cutting, you, etc. 

wq3296

The manufacturer, Preac, is out of business. I have already up graded the motor to 1/3 hp. I thought it would be an interesting modification while I save up for a Jim saw, which is a ways away. Can't figure out the correct pulley and belt combination.

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

www.gates.com offers a design booklet for their cogged or toothed pulleys and belts that should answer your questions and help with your selection but wq3296 is correct... it will not slip so the safety aspect of the slippage is lost.

Alan O'Neill
"only dead fish go with the flow"   :dancetl6:

Ongoing Build (31 Dec 2013) - HMS BELLEROPHON (1786), POF scratch build, scale 1:64, 74 gun 3rd rate Man of War, Arrogant Class

Member of the Model Shipwrights of Niagara, Niagara Region, Ontario, Canada (2016), and the Nautical Research Guild (since 2014)

Associate member of the Nautical Research and Model Ship Society (2021)

Offshore member of The Society of Model Shipwrights (2021)

These teethed belts and matching pulleys have a standardised tooth spacing and width. On ebay there seem to be various sources for them and some model shops have a small selection.

Incidentally, the belt and the pulley on the above picture do not match, they should have the same width.

While these belts certainly can transmit a higher torque than round or even V-belts, they do not act as a safety clutch as the other belts would. It is, therefore, easy to overload the motor, if something gets stuck in the machine.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

• 4 years later...

Hello guys. Can anyone tell me where I can get belts that are the same type that came with the Preac saw? Maybe some time in the very very near future I probably get the upgrade on the Preac saw but at the moment I figure it is time to find a new belt for her. Thanks folks . Gary