Gjoa by Darrell - Constructo - 1:64 scale - first time build

Day two deck on, something not exactly right!

After reading the instructions until the fog had cleared and a light haze remained I began my build.

With false keel built as per instructions, I applied the top deck which does not set flush on outside edges. Could have sanded deck support until it was flush but would not have been much left. Is this going to be a problem later in the build or use filler and move on?

post-18939-0-09836500-1428245798_thumb.jpg

post-18939-0-60812300-1428245841_thumb.jpg

Hi Darrell,

Most decks have a curve built into them, and will be higher in the center than on the outside edges.  You should pull the deck down to meet the bulkheads to get this curve into the deck.  Depending on how stiff your false deck is, you may need to soak it in order for it to take this bend.

You should use a strong wood glue, and clamp the deck down to allow it to dry solidly to the bulkheads.  You can do this by using a combination of the tacks that I see you are using, as well as liberal use of rubber bands.

If you scan through the early pages of other build logs on the site, you should see how other people have attached their false decks.  Some kits use very thin false decks and are quite easy to get to conform to the bend (like my AVS), while yours appears to be quite thick, and may be something of a challenge and require the soaking.

Good luck!

Deck planked time for the sand paper, wasn't as bad as I feared.

Thinking about the paint, how do you get an antique look for the deck? I would like to have it look like it just came out of the NorthWest passage!

post-18939-0-17415300-1428358005_thumb.jpg

Edited by Darrell

Hi Darrell,

Looks like you and I went in different directions given your location note! I am a transplanted Londoner!  :D

Deck planking looks good and will be even better after sanding.  On the color, I'd do some test pieces and see what I liked after giving them a couple of coats of wipe on poly. Deck in your picture has a nice sheen so perhaps a satin finish would work. 

Good luck and enjoy your build.

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Hi Darrell,

very cool to see that we are building the same ship. It has been a great first experience for me so far, and as a beginner I think you will be pleased with the level of complexity. Lots of challenges, but nothing infuriating.

Disclaimer: I've strayed from Constructo's plans a fair bit, and I'm also a beginner, so my build log is far from gospel. 

Some early advice: I would really take your time preparing for the planking. I'm opting to paint my model so my mistakes will be hidden, but if you want to show off your woodworking there are a few things to consider. First, Constructo's booklet will have you nailing your planks to hold them in place while they are glued down, but I found the nails too hard to remove afterward. I found elastic bands and a clever combinations of clamps did the trick, but I'm really not sure what best practice would have been (or is). Secondly, really plan out your planking. Nigel (above) shared a great video with me earlier, and here it is: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8131-hm-cutter-cheerful-1806-148-scale-by-chuck/page-22

Good luck with your build and I look forward to following along,

There are quite a few modellers who have gone for a weathered look. You could search for 'weathering' in the forums. One I have been following recently is Riverboat's work on the Krick kit of the Alert. You can find it at http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/6400-alert-by-riverboat-krick-125th-scale/?p=186050. Most of the weathering is in the later pages. Railway modellers seem to be very big enthusiasts for weathering, and their supply shops are full of special paints and techniques to do that.

Tony

Planking is far tougher than you guys make it look. Gonna be a lot of sanding. Found a u tube video, that really helped me see what I didn't do . Sand each plank flush with bulk heads. I have no doubt this will be a good model, getting some strange looks from wife though!

post-18939-0-50661100-1428875255_thumb.jpg

Edited by Darrell

Thanks for those pictures Tad, I'm still sanding, getting ready to mount rudder and associated parts. I have decided to build the boat before she sailed on the north west passage, and not put in prop and any other engine related gear.

Edited by Darrell

• 4 weeks later...

Found this picture of real ship, would like to match the old rugged look of it.

Hello, I'm building the very same kit. :) Note that what you see there is the result of a century of weather and wind (if it even is the original deck), not only three years in the passage. The deck was pine I believe, so it would have been quite light in its youth.

Edited by Matle

Thanks for those pictures Tad, I'm still sanding, getting ready to mount rudder and associated parts. I have decided to build the boat before she sailed on the north west passage, and not put in prop and any other engine related gear.

Here's the only picture I have found from before Amundsen bought her. It was taken during the expedition of the geologist Axel Hamberg who intended to study the icesheets/glaciers of the Arctic sea and Svalbard. That expedition was quite of a failure however as the skipper had no intention of keeping his deal with Hamberg, refusing even to close on the ice (Hamberg's money he kept though I suppose). 

Anyhow, some differences, except the propeller: five boats rather than three and different bobstay arrangement:

Hamberg_1892_2_stor.jpgMore pictures from that journey: http://www.axelhamberg.se/Default.aspx?pageid=212

Edited by Matle

That's a great find Mantel, wish I could read that link you posted!

Love the picture, I didn't think the two toilets on the deck were original to the ship as your photo also confirms.

I'm going to try to copy one of the life boats also (TRY)

• 3 years later...

I may not be on the correct page, but I'm wondering if anyone knows about plans and/or building instructions for a GJOA kit from Model Shipways (at that time,1980's maybe, located in Bogota, New Jersey). Came across a half-finished kit and am attempting to complete it if possible. 

If you have any ideas I would really appreciate any help, 

robetpalmberg@bell.net 

• 6 months later...

I have, I think, the un started model languishing in my work shop. It, in theory, will be my second build. 

if you still need info, let me know and I will shoot some pictures of what I have. I remember a couple of sheets of pictures and some more f the plans 

• The title was changed to Gjoa by Darrell - Constructo - 1:64 scale - first time build