HMS Warspite by Old Collingwood - FINISHED - Academy - 1/350 scale - PLASTIC

Hi OC.  Your Warspite model is looking real nice; great job on her.

The set-up for a temp dust cover I was referring to is like the one I am using for Victoria (see following) - cost zilch as I had the dowel, I am using the building board and I had a large clear plastic Bag I cut the end off and taped one side.  Just an idea :)

1303458222_DustCover2.thumb.jpg.82da0b6b6671e14cab726a5febf38d83.jpg

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

7 minutes ago, BANYAN said:

Hi OC.  Your Warspite model is looking real nice; great job on her.

The set-up for a temp dust cover I was referring to is like the one I am using for Victoria (see following) - cost zilch as I had the dowel, I am using the building board and I had a large clear plastic Bag I cut the end off and taped one side.  Just an idea :)

1303458222_DustCover2.thumb.jpg.82da0b6b6671e14cab726a5febf38d83.jpg

cheers

Pat

That looks like a great idea pat  - thank you.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

More progress today after spotting outside,   anyway I had a good start (not)  my idea for a semi rounded shield with some railing attached turned into a mess, so after several attempts to get the railing to stick to the resin part  (even locktight ca)  so I wripped it off  sanded the shield to remove the mess from the dried ca, then I glued it inplace on the signal deck infront of the flag lockers.

Next idea was to glue the wires direct to the inside of the shield (tub)  - very tricky keeping the wires inplace with an area of about 3mm deep and ca glue smeared on the inside,  well after about an hour I got two stuck  with the wires about  6 inches long,   next job was to glue inplace the forward mast using ca - this set fine, so I was then able to attach the two wires to the lower mast arm  - went well  till  the top section of mast including the radar arial  brioke off (damn plastic)  at this point It was  nearly thrown in the garden,  but I took five than came back to the table and re glued the top mast using my normal poly cement (revell with the fine needle tubes),   hay presto after getting the right alignement and leaving it to set - it was rescued.

Thats about where it stands at the moment  till more fun time tomoorrow.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Hang in there OC. You did the right thing taking 5, then coming back to it later. Sometimes, it just seems things won't go correctly and a little time away from it almost always seems to do wonders for me.

Rigging something as delicate as a 1:350 mast is always a challenge. When your budget will allow, try to lay your hands upon some ez line, that stretchy thread that works wonders for rigging delicate items. There are some vendors on Ebay who sell it in small quantities for a low price. Something like a dollar  for 6 feet. That much will easily do a couple of 1:350 models.

Edited by CDW

1 hour ago, CDW said:

Hang in there OC. You did the right thing taking 5, then coming back to it later. Sometimes, it just seems things won't go correctly and a little time away from it almost always seems to do wonders for me.

Rigging something as delicate as a 1:350 mast is always a challenge. When your budget will allow, try to lay your hands upon some ez line, that stretchy thread that works wonders for rigging delicate items. There are some vendors on Ebay who sell it in small quantities for a low price. Something like a dollar  for 6 feet. That much will easily do a couple of 1:350 models.

Thanks mate  - much appreciated:cheers:

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Incase anyone is curious about my other hobby - photographing planes   here are a couple of my shots from last year.

OC.

DSC_1675-Edit.jpg

DSC_2988.jpg

Current builds  

Completed works.

Sometimes there is "Having fun" and other times when having fun only comes at the end of what you are doing and are able to look back at what you accomplished. It sound like today was more of the later than the former for you. Can't wait to see the pictures.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

10 minutes ago, lmagna said:

Sometimes there is "Having fun" and other times when having fun only comes at the end of what you are doing and are able to look back at what you accomplished. It sound like today was more of the later than the former for you. Can't wait to see the pictures.

Thanks lou,  it is repaired and back on the mast,   I even drilled out most of the superstructure port holes, and added a couple of ladders, she needs a bit of paint in this area, then I need to salvage a small yardarm  that I will make from tiny dowel, that I will sand and roll till it slim enouth.

Oh  nearly foregot  - I have also put two sections of deck railings on the hanger deck,  they went on really well  held inplace by gaitor pva (thick).

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

So it sounds like you had both kinds of fun today after all.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

1 minute ago, lmagna said:

So it sounds like you had both kinds of fun today after all.

I always relax with aircraft spotting/photography  - stairing into the sky looking for planes kind of takes my mind off stuff.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Great plane spotting photos, OC. That "rainbow contrail" looks phenomenal. 

What altitude do you estimate the planes in the photos?

From my front porch, you get a beautiful view of planes making takeoffs and landing approaches to Tampa International Airport. Not so close the sound is annoying. In fact, when my doors are shut, I cannot hear them at all from inside my home. I would guess the planes are not much more than 1,000 - 1,500 feet above sea level on approaches and landings. Mostly, it's landing approaches from the north to south, but they will come in from a number of different approaches. But it almost always seems takeoffs are to the north or to the west. Some south, but not a lot. Considering potential destinations, I suppose that's to be expected.

I used to get a great view of F-4 Phantoms when those were stationed at MacDill Airforce Base, then F-16's later on. Now, refueling tankers are about all you'll see flying from there. 

Lovely A/C photos OC.   I too like watching the aircraft take off and land.  Very soothing to me.    I"m about 1 mile from the local airport and we get a lot of AF reserve fighters as well as tankers, etc. practicing touch and goes at our airport.   We're at about 1200 feet above sea level and surrounded by mountains so they're using it for training that environment.   During the summer we get lots of vintage aircraft passing through for the various air shows on the west coast.  Here, it's approach from the south and take off to the north.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you so much for the replies guys,    most of the airways photography I shoot  is aircraft flying over head,  between  30.000 - 35.000ft - I am at cross point with airways routes flying east to west and reverse  and north to south and reverse,   I try to shoot all I see  then I log them after cross checking them in live radar sites that give me the airaft details - tail code etc, I have been doing this all my life and must have logged about 70.000 different aircraft over my lifetime.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Back before there were problems with terror and all that it involves, security at airports was very minimal as I am sure most of us know. There were some remote roads where commercial aircraft made their final approaches and takeoffs, just feet away from the main perimeter fence surrounding the airport.

As teens, we thought it was a lot of fun to put on our sound deadening headsets, lay in the back of our pickup trucks directly under the flight paths, feet away from the fences. The aircraft passing over would literally be less than 100 feet above us. It was quite a "rush" as we used to say. 😁😂🤐

One couldn't even get close to places like that anymore without serious consequences, but back then, it was common.

I didn't know there plane-spotters, OC.  I'd heard of train-spotters though. 

I used to do the same thing as CDW.  Most airports even had parking areas off the end of the runway.  Those were the days... 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

1 hour ago, mtaylor said:

I used to do the same thing as CDW.  Most airports even had parking areas off the end of the runway.  Those were the days... 

We had one little executive airport on the harbor where we all took our girlfriends in high school to watch the submarine races. It was nice, peaceful, and never a problem (that I knew of). Police would come by and check to make sure everybody was okay. 

When I was based in Germany, a cross country trip to the UK was a treat. Landing at one of the RAF bases, we always wondered why all the folks were hanging around the approach end of a runway. Landed at Alconbury one Friday and went into Huntington to catch a train down to London. Met a few of these photographers and talked with them about their hobby. These fellows could rattle off where and when they had seen our particular aircraft and what other bases these jets had been assigned to previously. Good folks. 👍

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

11 hours ago, CDW said:

Back before there were problems with terror and all that it involves, security at airports was very minimal as I am sure most of us know. There were some remote roads where commercial aircraft made their final approaches and takeoffs, just feet away from the main perimeter fence surrounding the airport.

As teens, we thought it was a lot of fun to put on our sound deadening headsets, lay in the back of our pickup trucks directly under the flight paths, feet away from the fences. The aircraft passing over would literally be less than 100 feet above us. It was quite a "rush" as we used to say. 😁😂🤐

One couldn't even get close to places like that anymore without serious consequences, but back then, it was common.

I used to go to London Heathrow airport a lot  when I was younger,  there used to be a purpose built viewing terrace there, with seating a shop/cafe  and fantastic views as it was situated wright at the center of the airport,   alas it was closed down and spectators where banned from being in the central area of the airport,   most who want to see the aircraft/photos have to use areas outside the airport.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

42 minutes ago, RGL said:

wow, in context to military ops, that's really scary.

Wait until you find out there are military officers who know all kinds of obscure facts like, how many farm tractors are in Kaplica Czaszek, Poland? (or pick any city in eastern europe) and any facts pertaining to office space, hardened facilities, fuel storage, equipment, manufacturing capability, so forth and so on.

It's all part of logistics and pre planning in case of war and the potential necessary military occupation of any given city of strategic importance. It's both mind blowing and scary at the same time that there is that degree of intelligence data in the hands of very capable people. 

11 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Aircraft enthusiasts/spotters is a huge hobby here in the UK   also in Holland,   there are even group trips to different airports/airshows, and plenty of websites and books about the subject.

I am what they call an anorak.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

10 hours ago, cog said:

Nice photographs OC ... what lens(es) do you use for them

Hi carl,   300mm  lenses I tend to favour  either a prime like what I used to own, or a zoom  70-300  like I own now,   the zoom gives me more versatility  than the prime.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

4 hours ago, Canute said:

When I was based in Germany, a cross country trip to the UK was a treat. Landing at one of the RAF bases, we always wondered why all the folks were hanging around the approach end of a runway. Landed at Alconbury one Friday and went into Huntington to catch a train down to London. Met a few of these photographers and talked with them about their hobby. These fellows could rattle off where and when they had seen our particular aircraft and what other bases these jets had been assigned to previously. Good folks. 👍

Sums me up nicely  ken.😉

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Greg,

Were just not as uptight as Oz, or US when it comes to spotting planes. If someone wants to get a plane down, he/she doesn't need to do it that near the airport. There are plenty of gadgets to get them down at any distance ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

We've had yokels flashing lasers at airliner cockpits. Very dangerous for everyone with that.

Craig, now I'll have to send out some Men In Black to remove all those beans you've spilled. ;):D

OC, I always enjoy yakking with fellow aircraft enthusiasts.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

3 hours ago, cog said:

Greg,

Were just not as uptight as Oz, or US when it comes to spotting planes. If someone wants to get a plane down, he/she doesn't need to do it that near the airport. There are plenty of gadgets to get them down at any distance ...

This was my argument about airports stopping spotting because of "terrorists"   dont you think a man holding an shoulder missile launcher would stand out and most normal people their would take him down.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Hi all,

Firstly a Huge thank you for all the likes and comments.

So  I decided to pop the dry fitted parts on the ole girl and I took her outside to do a few more pics.

OC.

183.jpg

184.jpg

185.jpg

186.jpg

187.jpg

Current builds  

Completed works.

3 minutes ago, Jack12477 said:

Nice job, OC

Thanks jack.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.