Old Collingwood

HMS Warspite by Old Collingwood - FINISHED - Academy - 1/350 scale - PLASTIC

Hello again All,    while sorting through my little box's  yesterday  for my other builds, I cam across  some scall metal (Black)  anchor chain that must have come with my other Pontos bits,  but went missing  - didn't  know I had it, anyway  "question -question"   is it worth me  removing the plastic kit chain  that was painted white, and replacing with this scale Black metal chain?

OC.

Depends on what colour they are in real life (I airbrush mine, Primer, base colour then a rust wash). Otherwise it looks like cheap jewellery 

Hi OC, long time....

Are the scales of the chain the same and period correct (if you are looking for authenticity that is)?  I don't know when it started, but a lot of anchor chain cables were painted white, but as suggested, yes the 'dib dabs' (as we 'seamen' branch were called by the stokers, greenies [electricians] and store keepers/box packers [supply branch] -  we would dib and dab a bit of paint here and there.  We would try to keep the cables nice and prettied up but that went by the wayside during operational times, especially if working the anchor a lot.

cheers

Pat

Hi Pat,    I have found these Two pics on the net  - one shows Hood with white chains  and  the other from Warpy's bridge  you can just make out the same white colour chains,   the problem with this kit ones they are way over scale.

The only White paint i have the the Admiralty paints Acrylic  in white.

OC.

Warspite_Bridge.jpg

decks_29.jpg

White is the way to go then :) .   You should be able to thin the Admiralty white with water if I recall,  several thin coats would be preferable so as not to clog up the chain links?

cheers

Pat

Hi, I was hunting around and found your build, which looks like a grand job, I hope you don't mind me saying how disappointed I am with the fuzzy photography. I've trawled through 3 or 4 pages and given up. Such a shame.

4 hours ago, shipman said:

Hi, I was hunting around and found your build, which looks like a grand job, I hope you don't mind me saying how disappointed I am with the fuzzy photography. I've trawled through 3 or 4 pages and given up. Such a shame.

At first my  phone/camera was playing up  hence why some of the pics were fuzzy, but thanks for bringing it to my attention.

OC.

The standard of photography on this site is normally exceptional. I suppose numpty's like me have come to take it for granted.

A dedicated camera doesn't have to be expensive; I've been using a Fujifilm Z2 compact for years which I bought second hand and it was ten years old when I got it. Every time I download to my laptop I'm astonished how good it is. Stay safe.

5 minutes ago, shipman said:

The standard of photography on this site is normally exceptional. I suppose numpty's like me have come to take it for granted.

A dedicated camera doesn't have to be expensive; I've been using a Fujifilm Z2 compact for years which I bought second hand and it was ten years old when I got it. Every time I download to my laptop I'm astonished how good it is. Stay safe.

What I will do  Is to do some updated pics now I have my  phone camera working better  (same one I use for my  aircraft builds  in here)   I have some work to do on the Ole Girl  (new chain)   so will do some fresh pics then.

OC.

The pic above  was nearly in the dark, the imminunation off a  small sensor light created the shadow  (thats why I took that shot)   because of the  darkness  it needed ISO 2000  hence why it is grainy.

Just love the moodyness of an late night  dark shot  with taht shadow.

OC.