La Reale De France by kpnuts - FINISHED - Heller - PLASTIC - 1/75

yes,  I would {adding to what Dr. Dafi mentioned}.   you could also use diluted white glue........paint it on before you cut it,  then shape with fingers very carefully.   your going for the look......not the feel  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

very ....very nice KP!  the bottom hem is a little odd,  but there's not much you can do with plastic sails  ;)   you could try to loosen up on the offending line to lessen the effect.   you've done a great job on this model,  none the less  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

do both sails  'billow'  in the same direction?   the main sail billows to the starboard side,  but it appears that the fore sail billows to the port side.   I hope I'm wrong.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Yes I had some confusion over that the pic on the box art shows them both billowing the same way, but the written instructions and the diagrams both show the way I have it also the vac formed sail has to be that way the only way I can make it billow the same side is to hang it upside down.

TTHV9du.jpg

any way thought I would have a break from the rigging so decided to do the steps, they are supposed to have hand rails but they were so fine one was snapped on the sprue and one broke cutting it off the sprue so will have to make a couple out of copper wire

mrD4Nnk.jpg

W4dvIPv.jpg

X9FQ51q.jpg

1e79pGq.jpg

5uijvOg.jpg

GqVy71s.jpg

gc8OJaL.jpg

almost hated to bring it up........instructions can be a bear to decipher.   you could try cloth sails......with the work you've done on this vessel......it would be well worth doing  ;)     the steps look great......beautifully done!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi I've done a bit of research and revell do a kit of this with the sails that way and I've seen other build of this kit with the same configuration so I havent decided yet I am either going to leave it as is or remove the sails altogether and have the oars down.

talking of oars, this is on the back burner again 

Aml7fHZ.jpg

d1lazHZ.jpg
as you can see from the parts list sprue 17 and 18 say 2 sprues sprue 9 and 9a are listed together with a sprue count of 2 I stupidly didnt count the number of oars on the sprues (there are 16 oars on each sprue) so the 2 on the parts list means 2 of each 9a and 9 (why didnt they list those to sprues separately or say 4 on the parts count, so now I have to go through the rigmarole of contacting heller again and waiting for the parts, this really is putting me off ever buying a heller kit again, I mean are all there kits like this, I dont think much of the're quality control if they dont even bother doing a sprue check on the contents of a kit.

sorry to hear that KP.    I haven't seen a revell kit with a sail configuration like that...........but the 80-5897 kit of the La Reale,  REALLY does show it!   whether you keep it as is, or change it around......it will still be a very nice build.   I wish you luck in getting the parts  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

KP,

As that in the Model Kit Questions area:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/forum/26-plastic-model-kits-plastic-scratchquestions-and-reviews/   You might get more answers.   I've only built 2 Hellers, one eons ago and then tried a Vic about 14 years ago.  I wasn't missing parts but some of the parts were badly malformed.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi all was looking at this today and noticed the mast was bent.

L8xSsTV.jpg

so I thought how can I fix that and a cunning plan developed.

first break the top of the mast off then drill out a hole in the top of the mast and insert brass rod then reglue the top on

7MJX6qk.jpg

NEFLjjP.jpg

X0V7o3J.jpg

rBPBRzu.jpg

since this pic I decided I dont like the fore mast sail so have removed it was thinking of removing the main sail as well but my missus says no, what do you think would they have had one sail down and not the other or would they both be up or down.

I would say ...both {either way.   if not a lot of wind was desired,  the sails would have been reefed.   I say leave them up as well  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

Well I'm not sure what's going to happen with the La Reale I've contacted heller several times but no reply, the 32 oars I do have couldn't go all on one side said some are different so I can't put them all on one side and display it that way. Not sure I can be bothered with displaying it in dry dock being refitted (lot of work involved and I will always know she's not complete) too big to keep hanging round, maybe time to bite the bullet and stick her in the spares drawer. All I know is she's taking up valuable room, not sure the missus will let me scrap her but, I am rapidly losing interest in her.

Hi all I've just emailed heller explaining to the person who dealt with the parts problem last time that I am a member of several forums that this build is posted on, and that it doesn't look good on Heller's part when I can't say when the build will restart.

But I've had a great idea, I love the sleek lines of the hull, what if I put some rockets on the side and turned her into a space galleon.

sad to hear my friend....perhaps one can be found cheaply on E-bay,  or a local craft site.   you can also consider trying your hand at making them from scratch.   they can be made of wood or even plastic {there are resources where materials can be found}.   please don't trash it....you have done some really good work........hate to see it all for naught  :(

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hmm... I've seen plastic oars somewhere in my snooping around looking for stuff.. ModelExpo or Bluejacket maybe?

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Well I decided to have a go at making the missing parts and after 2 hrs and on my third attempt, this is what I have

xTQE156.jpg

T6Oqls0.jpg

I'm quite pleased with it, its a bit crude but when its installed I dont think it will notice too much. 

I know one thing I will never buy another heller kit. its not the kits (the kwak apart) they are great kits I've loved the La Reale, its their complete ignorance I've sent 2 emails just asking would they let me know even if  they are going to send the parts, not one single reply to 8 emails, now I call that down right rude. I intend to send one more email informing them that they are not the only kit manufacturer out there and if they treat all their customers the way they have treated me I wont be the only customer they loose.(since they obviously ignore emails it probably wont do any good but it will make me feel better) You don't buy model kit and expect to have to make the parts yourself. Rant over so only 15 more of these babys to make 

BRAVO!!!!    looks good KP!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

KP,

I'm curious...  did you send it in French?   I think Heller is still there.  Copy the email into Google Translate and try it that way... I always add to the top of any email I send to France "translated by google translate" in both English and French and then paste the English version below the French.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

My language happens to be french.  For some unknown reason, my Apple computer tends to try and translate from Spanish sites into what Google wants me to recognize as a french translation.  NO WAY: I always have to revert to the Spanish text to understand what is written.  So googleing your message   into French might be the best way to ...encrypt it!!  I am definitely sure, as they operate on a world basis, that they actually know English quite well.  I even thought, but I may be wrong on this, that their operations had been taken over by Airfix!

I also built this exquisite model a number of years ago, and if I were to do it all over, I would try to duplicate the 7 handles on the rows: this is, I think, a fairly obvious shortcoming on an otherwise superb model.  Another point that deserve attention is the masts: I of course replaced the plastic sails with cotton ones, and the masts were not stiff enough to carry their weight without bending.  So, I think they are better replaced with wooden ones (as their shape is quite simple, this would not be too difficult to achieve.  Or they could be strengthened with a wooden core.

Happy modelling, and good job with your extra rows!

JP

Edited by Jean-Pierre

well......at least you had a contingency plan.........:)    oh well......all's fair in love and modeling  :D  :D    say........how are those coffee stirrers coming along?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...
Hi all a small update, everyone was telling me the sails should not be billowing in different directions, contrary to the instructions and the fact that the sails are vac formed and can only but put on that way, I decided to make sure its right I would do the fore mast sail furled.

WnQJSDB.jpg

8W5ioMn.jpg

JuxzBYw.jpg

GHcu5qa.jpg

Hi, I have done many Heller kits and only sent for parts once. They sent replacement but this was 20 years ago. What use to annoy me was the duplication of parts to fabricate another kit for little expense. Left you wondering which if any were representative of a real ship.

With regard to sails, you will often see he main sail set but the fore furled. Erhaps you could do this.

Current Build(s):

• H.M.S Diana 1794 - Caldercraft 1:64 Scale

Completed Builds: