La Reale De France by kpnuts - FINISHED - Heller - PLASTIC - 1/75

Hi - just joined this site today, so first ever post.

Last night I decided to start my Heller 1/75 Reale after looking at some amazing stuff on-line, but being inspired totally by this build. Thankfully I read through it all and decided to check the sprues and yes, I too have only 1 each of 9, 9A, 17 & 18 !!!. I only bought the kit this year from shop in England and everything was sealed, so I'm guessing the missing sprues must have been a batch issue. Having said that, I have bought several Heller sailing ships new in the last year, including Soleil Royal so I hope the problem is confined to this kit.

I will e-mail Heller forthwith and . . . be patient.

I have had to contact Airfix a few times in recent years about 'quality' issues and they also took an age to reply, although they always came up with the goods, sometimes a sheet of decals arriving through the letter-box without any preamble. The re-release of the Mauretania had incomplete instructions in both kits I bought, but Airfix did send me a full-colour pdf (several weeks later).

The quality issues can work both ways, as a few years ago when Airfix re-issued their 1/48 Buccaneer they managed to cram 2 complete kits (both the RAF and RN versions) into one box!

Anyway, cheers for the inspiration and heads-up.

Neil

glad to see you got them KP  :)   now the oar issue is resolved.    I like what you did with the sail issue.....I wouldn't have believed they were set up like that,  If I hadn't seen it for myself.   I don't know about any one else,  but I found that to be illogical.   two opposing wind masses......and without affecting the other sail,  no less...........the poor vessel would be spinning in a circle.  :D    I wonder if anyone else ever came across this?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Firstly welcome aboard wishbone stash, what a friendly helpful bunch they are on here, one thing I would say about the missing sprues is from the last (very, very, very apologetic reply I got from them (must have been the mention that this build was on several forums and the fact that my being unable to continue it because they wouldn't send the parts had been mentioned) they told me in future to phone with problems as phone call get treated with priority. personally I like emails as I have proof of all communication whereas with a phone call what proof have you got you made it or what was said in that phone call.

Just to say that is what they told me in the last email.And I am humbled that my build has inspired you to build it I'm sure you will do a much better job of it.PS are you going to guild it as well.

Anyway a little update on the Reale, I thought I would try to improve the way the rowers handles are depicted.
pemcH6m.jpg

tP1IJld.jpg

elDgpP9.jpg

3fvvl1s.jpg

R1r7d3n.jpg
so, only 29 more to go
Edited by kpnuts

Great improvement to the rows. Did you make the handles yourself or is it an aftermarket product?  

I just would suggest that you make the holes a little deeper so that the handles protrude a little less, a little like the solid kit items.  Just an idea...

Hi all yes I made the row handles myself,thanks for the advice will have to see if I can get the ones I've done off without to much damage, is an update on this build someone told me the clew? was missing, well apparently this is it (the loose flap of sail from the furled sail)in the first picture.

nDetPwZ.jpg

hrbEAKG.jpg

Qdjp7Ox.jpg

I've added all the cannons now as well.

slccHxt.jpg

KFvBuuO.jpg

WX8fKlu.jpg

she's looking super KP............nice improvement on the oars  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Hi all didn't like the oar handle, too irregular, so browsing the net I found these, they are OO gauge steps (1/87) so near enough.

Q9ah9hY.jpg

But as you can see they are too wide

QOpyfXT.jpg

so with my guage 

R5JYpjT.jpg

I whittled them down a bit

XcMewsB.jpg

cut to length

LCFjaPG.jpg

split

6Roe6Fe.jpg

and with a little bit of fettling they will all look the same now

50ahQrf.jpg

Hi all, well I think I'm on the last leg of this build, this is half way there with the oars

PKnOIYL.jpg

just these left to do

1UIRiHQ.jpg

every single oar has this huge seam on it, so, only32 to sort

cTkE1jh.jpg

iniYRla.jpg

I really feel this is nearing the end now, once I add the oars it will be huge, no idea what I will do with it when done, I had my warspite dio in the local library, but now thats back due to the library re-utilising the areas and no longer having room for it (a polite way of saying no one was interested in it) so now I've got that back too. argh I have no room.

Bummer... :(    Hopefully, this will do the trick.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

catching up on your build KP..........the oars look great.   sounds like a bad dilemma........but an easy fix.   just sad that you need to do it :(    you'll get it done,  I'm sure........she's looking fabulous!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

with the windows open.......I hope  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hi all I've been racking my brains trying to think of a way to do the tassels round the canopy, I cant find any which match the cord I've done the flags on the mast with, so,came up with this.

take a piece of double sided tape and stick it to a piece of paper

2jVBwaN.jpg

tack that each end to a lollipop stick

NCIkWZJ.jpg

wind the gold thread round the lollipop stick

RhLNrc0.jpg

Cut along the edge

Klxgb8T.jpg

then glue in place

cXkrYht.jpg

EA0pgcf.jpg

dosZUOk.jpg

mGONumX.jpg

What a beautiful model indeed.  As I said earlier,I also built this model, a long time ago, I'm afraid.

With regards to the canopy, I painstakingly glue little lengths of gold thread, bit by bit along the edge of the plastic kit item, but in my case I used lengths that were only about 2/3 from yours, which, I think gave a cleaner result.  What I also did is to cover up all edges with lengths of gold thread, which finishes the canopy quite nicely.

As far as the oars are concerned, I think there were seven rowers per oar, the more amidships one using the tip of the oar, the other six using one space each in the handle.  This would mean only 7 plots in total (5 intermediate plots)!

I know there are a few oars from the Réale preserved in the Musée de la Marine in Paris as well as part of the sculptures, but alas, could not find pictures of them.

Happy modeling to you.

JP

nice touch of detail KP.......adds to the overall looks :)  I forgot to mention a couple of posts ago.......nice looking Monkee-mobile in the background.   that kit is somewhat rare here in the states.  I remember it well.......loved the show  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I loved the monkees too especially the car, its rare here too but I got it off ebay, if memory serves correct 27 quid so bit of a bargain too.

Dun da da da,da its finished

I will post better pics tomorrow but here she is.

I few suggestions for anyone building this, don't glue the trumpets on the angels on the stern till the kit is finished( cant count the number of times I've knocked them off). do not glue the side railings on till the end they were constantly getting in the way making it difficult on numerous occasions, and most annoyingly including the rigging stage, I know you tie some of the rigging off onto it but you could always tie off to the framework some where temporarily.

other than that it is a great kit and all goes together well.

wRLk78m.jpg

kvbeIVE.jpg

crX8ISY.jpg

hJyliZX.jpg

QsQCEKq.jpg

5oQ6MbU.jpg

kb1DMpc.jpg

E9zId5r.jpg

odXvak1.jpg

I would like to thank everyone for keeping me motivated on this kit, as without you I would have given up at the first hurdle.

saw the bottle off to the side........is that you mini bar?   :D  :D    I thought I saw your build up in light as I came in.........CONGRATZ<  my friend!   you did a super job on this build!   you went through enough crap with it......even threatened to scrap it  {nasty words}!  ;)    but you pulled the rabbit out of the hat,  as they say:)   ..........great job....very pleased to have watched  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all just a quick update,my bosses husband said he would buy the Royal Sovereign but that this was too big was talking to him the other day and mentioned the Greenwich maritime museum said they wanted it but did not have the room, but would I resubmit it next year as they are constantly changing their displays. He told me today he will buy it (no mention of price), what would I ask for I can't keep it for a year, don't have the room (incidentally i told my boss I had got the Airfix Wasa off ebay and she wants me to build that for her. Actually as I was typing this he came up they've both gone for £400.00 I am well chuffed, I'm sure I could have got more but hey, two models out of the way and money for more, still have to finish the Sovriegn, and of course, start a finish the Wasa, I love modeling 

gotta love a hobby that pays for itself......braVO!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all well getting this one back in a sorry state, went down to feed the birds and empty the bins this morning. Rolf tried to take it to his house in frinton yesterday, didn't even get it out of the hall broke lots of oars off the anchor post lots of railings, a lot of the rigging is slack so he's busted something there as well, he thinks I will just go down with a tube of superglue and stick it all back on, not that simple a lot of the guilding was pulled off when the oars and railings came off so that will have to be redone(a real pain as lots of bits were stuck on after the guilding ) I will take some pics when I get it home.

Ok so I've reguilded the damaged guilding and the actual damage is not as bad as I feared the worst bit being he broke one of the side arms off and I cant find it anywhere os will have to try and scratch one(those canons are tiny, maybe a stretched sprue or a matchstick in the lathe, it's also now missing one of the flags (which I also cant find) nothing I can do about that so will just touch up the paint where it was snapped off .

here is the damage.

4WHVjVF.jpg

n0c9NGh.jpg

V4lxUJX.jpg

zqKGbPM.jpg

mGcscaf.jpg

3apDb2t.jpg

nice repair job..........looking in and reading all that was a shock to my system  :(     glad you were able to bring her to her former glory  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 3 months later...

Nice work on your Reale!!

Hi - just joined this site today, so first ever post.

Last night I decided to start my Heller 1/75 Reale after looking at some amazing stuff on-line, but being inspired totally by this build. Thankfully I read through it all and decided to check the sprues and yes, I too have only 1 each of 9, 9A, 17 & 18 !!!. I only bought the kit this year from shop in England and everything was sealed, so I'm guessing the missing sprues must have been a batch issue. Having said that, I have bought several Heller sailing ships new in the last year, including Soleil Royal so I hope the problem is confined to this kit.

I will e-mail Heller forthwith and . . . be patient.

I have had to contact Airfix a few times in recent years about 'quality' issues and they also took an age to reply, although they always came up with the goods, sometimes a sheet of decals arriving through the letter-box without any preamble. The re-release of the Mauretania had incomplete instructions in both kits I bought, but Airfix did send me a full-colour pdf (several weeks later).

The quality issues can work both ways, as a few years ago when Airfix re-issued their 1/48 Buccaneer they managed to cram 2 complete kits (both the RAF and RN versions) into one box!

Anyway, cheers for the inspiration and heads-up.

Neil

I must have bought from the same batch. I too have one of each of 9,9A, 17 and 18 instead of two. Maybe the worker who was doing the packaging was putting only one bag  with that set of sprues instead of two bags.

Anyway I e-mailed Heller, lets hope they will respond.

How did your case go?