HMS AGAMEMNON by Karinmutter - FINISHED - Caldercraft - 1:64

I would like to follow you as you go along, if that is ok.   Might not be able to offer much advice but want to learn good deck and masting techniques

Looks great so far

Edited by sygreen

Thanks CPS and sygreen for the positive comments. 

To sygreen: The kit was in a very good condition so I did not see the need to deviate from the plans. The only thing I made different were the deck planks: I created a simulated caulking with a black marker (you have to prepare the planks with pore filer that it does not go in too deep) and created two holes on each side with a little jig ( I will send a picture later) later I added a little bit of paint on the hole, that it is better visible.

I also rigged the cannons and changed the steering wheel . Apart from that i basically followed the original instructions.

Greetings from Germany

Martin 

Would love to see the jig . Do you have any pictures as you went through the process. The decking is very well done, neat , clean and precise

I appreciate that you like my work. It was a lot of effort, but sometimes that is neccessary to achieve what you have in mind.

I sent a picture of the jig. The placing of the little needles (I cut sewing needles) is a bit trial and error, but once you have it you can use it for all the planks (unless you break one...)

Hello Martin,

I discover your log today. Congratulations!

Your Aggie is very very good and looks great! And your comments are well documented.

I store all your pictures for further use.

Pierre

Hello Pierre ,

Thank you very much for your positive comment. Now I regret that I did not start the log more than 2 years ago.. I had the camera equipment, but had never used it (It was a gift for my former wife). She had made all the pictures on my last ship. But fortunately the basic use of the camera is not that hard. I still have problems with the lighting and the sharpness, but I hope I will master that sooner or later...

Hope you are doing o.k. I am not an expert myself, but I will try to help you, in case you should need it, because I have been through some of the difficulties already that might come in the future ...

Greetings from Germany

Martin

Here is the way I blackened my cannons and other brass parts:

1. I soak the brass 10 minutes in Aceton and 5 minutes in "Acidip" (from Carr`s) to get a surface where the blackening agent can attach to.

2. Then the parts have to be  rinsed with  "Neutralising rinse"post-2264-0-55226900-1428953132_thumb.jpgpost-2264-0-57594900-1428953136_thumb.jpgpost-2264-0-70175900-1428953139_thumb.jpgpost-2264-0-38629900-1428953144_thumb.jpgpost-2264-0-87774600-1428953149_thumb.jpg (Carr`s)

3.I put the brass parts in "metal black for brass" (Carr`s)

4.After 2 minutes (very small parts) up to 15 minutes (cannons) you can take them out.

4. Important: Rinse all parts in water, preferably destilled water to stop the blackening process.

5.Let everything dry.

6. Remove the crusts with a fine cloth until it is a bit shiny.

7. To make sure it stays, seal everything with clear lacquer: "Electrofix" is good (carr`s)

It is important to use latex gloves all the time and open the windows , because the fumes are not healthy!

In my pictures you see the parts BEFORE removing the crusts and BEFORE application of clear lacquer.

There are many ways to do the blackening but this worked best for me.

Martin

Edited by Karinmutter

• 2 weeks later...

Hello fellow builders!

The hammock netting will be next! I showed you how to blacken the brass cranes earlier.

Now I have glued them to the railing permanently. I drilled a 1 mm hole through the railing planks according to plan and

used epoxy- 2- compound glue.That gave me 5 minutes to adjust their position.

The next step will be to attach the hammock netting. My friend mobbsie helped me out and sent me a few pictures of the

way he had made it. (Looks great by the way!) I purchased the fabric in a  store in my city. Now I am waiting for the 0.6 mm

brass wire (online order) that will go through the holes. It has to be blackened, too, of course. The netting (fabric) will be

attached (glued and sewn) to that wire. I hope it will go as easy as mobbsie described it :) .

I uploaded a few pictures that show the cranes and my latest progress.

post-2264-0-82471100-1430342156_thumb.jpgpost-2264-0-32928200-1430342158_thumb.jpgpost-2264-0-67429900-1430342159_thumb.jpg

Hello Martin,

your "Agamemnon" Looks great so far, thats one of the nice large frigates...

Are you intending to rig sails later on ?

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hello Nils,

Thank you for the positive comment. No I am not putting sails on this one. The Caldercraft kit does not give you that option. I am sure it would still be possible, but  I wanted it to be a bit easier this time... 

My previous model was  the San Felipe. A kit ( but I used a lot of parts I manufactured myself) that also had sails.

I am also working on the "Batavia" a scratch built model. It is on dock right now, but I plan to continue after I have finished the "Aggie"...

I will add two pictures to give you (and other interested builders)  an idea what I am talking about. To be honest I am not sure if I  will ever finish the Batavia, these figurines will be a real challenge...

Happy modelling,

Martin

Hi Martin,

thanks for showing the pics of the two ships. San Felipe under sails Looks very nice and the planking of the Batavia Hull Looks very neat and accurate. It seems to be treenailed to the Frames (cant make it out on the Photos....)

Are you hesitating because of wooden carving work (figurines) ?, the hull has wonderfull lines, it would be a pitty if not finalized...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Hi Martin,

thanks for showing the pics of the two ships. San Felipe under sails Looks very nice and the planking of the Batavia Hull Looks very neat and accurate. It seems to be treenailed to the Frames (cant make it out on the Photos....)

Are you hesitating because of wooden carving work (figurines) ?, the hull has wonderfull lines, it would be a pitty if not finalized...

Nils

Hello Nils,

Again thank you for the positive feedback. Like you, I also like the lines of the Batavia and the hull shape. After having finished the Agamemnon (might take one more year...) I will putting all my efforts in the "Batavia" I was in Lelystad (Holland) three times already. I took many pictures of the Replica and actually bought the plans there. 

The figurines will be hard, but I do not intend to carve them . There exists a special clay that looks exactly like wood after you paint it. I have not used it yet, but it is recommended by Wolfram zu Mondfeld for example, a famous modeller and author.

There will be a lot of other problems, I am sure, but I will do my best , hope that is good enough..

I attached the planks with cut toothpicks to the frames/bulkheads. I predrilled a hole of 2 mms through planks and bulkhead, then dipped the toothpick in woodglue and drove the toothpick in with a small hammer. This worked perfect for me. Treenailing is something I might consider for the second layer of planking. I have thin bamboo dowels that have to be cut in little pieces for that.

But right now all my attention is on the Agamemnon. Some modellers work on different models simultaneously, but I think that would drive me crazy...

Happy modelling und Grüße nach Schleswig-Holstein von Bayreuth (Oberfranken)

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Martin,

If I can be of any help to you, I already made the Batavia in scratch, and am almost finished in making the buildingkit of it. Please have a look at my avatar and feel free to ask. :)

post-11645-0-97647000-1431277117_thumb.jpg

Hans   

Owner of Kolderstok Models - 17th century Dutch ships.

Please visit www.kolderstok.com for an overview of the model kits available   

Martin,

If I can be of any help to you, I already made the Batavia in scratch, and am almost finished in making the buildingkit of it. Please have a look at my avatar and feel free to ask. :)

attachicon.gifBatavia model.jpg

Hello Hans,

thank you very much for offering me help, I might need it as soon as I will continue with the Batavia, By the way ypur model looks really fantastic! 

I was busy, so excuse me that I could not answer you earlier!

Martin

Macht nichts, immer da!

I did have the same "problem" as you, and thought I could carve the ornaments etc. This occured to be a bit more difficult than expected. Then one of my sons (being a Warhammer-freak) came up with greenstuff.  This is a two component mixing clay which fully sets after about 24 hours. I did make a lot of the figures with this modeling clay, and it worked  out quite well!

Of course, when you're the real die-hard modeller you certainly should try carving first. When you build to the original plans it's 1 to 50 (instead of the 1:72 I did) and this is (maybe) "easier" 

And not to forget, your Batavia looks great!

Edited by *Hans*

Hans   

Owner of Kolderstok Models - 17th century Dutch ships.

Please visit www.kolderstok.com for an overview of the model kits available   

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Martin, I noted your earlier entries on Mobbsie's build log. I am awaiting delivery of the kit still. I think it is held up until I pay some tax! Still , this will be my first and I reckon on ten years in the making, production. I shall follow the remainder of your build with interest.

Oh - forgot this picture to keep you going:

attachicon.gifIMAG1070.jpg

Thank you for your inspiration picture! I think it is a good idea to work with clay instead of real carving. As long as it looks good, who cares? I do not have carving experience at all to be honest. The ship is in 1:50 scale.

Happy modelling,

Martin

Hi Martin, I noted your earlier entries on Mobbsie's build log. I am awaiting delivery of the kit still. I think it is held up until I pay some tax! Still , this will be my first and I reckon on ten years in the making, production. I shall follow the remainder of your build with interest.

I would be happy  if I could give you any useful information! You are welcome to ask questions anytime. As a first ship it will not be easy, but you can make it with patience and persistance. I found out that it pays to put a lot of thinking in all of your moves LONG BEFORE you actually do something. It will pay in the long run.

Have fun with your ship!

Martin