Scroll Saw Blades

We have seen the replies for which scroll saw, but was courious about this

1. Where to buy good blades

2. What is a good blade

3. What type of blade for the types of wood (soft, hard, thick, thin)

The blades I can buy locally seem to go dull after just 1 or 2 cut frames in the cherry I use.

Any replies and information greatly appreciated.

Triton Cross Section 1:32

SEE YA LATER

im-outta-here-bye-bye-smiley-emoticon.gi

I've used blades from Lowe's.... meh.. don't last.  I've found Olson's to be very good:  http://www.olsonsaw.net/  Currently, I'm testing some blades I bought from place in Canada... Don't have the website in front of me, but their blades appear to be better than Olson.  I'll post the link, hopefully tonite.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I think this is the company Mark is referring to. These blades were recommended by Greg Herbert and they are good blades.

http://www.sawbird.com/scroll_saw_blades.htm

I ordered the double tooth reverse #3.

Jeff

In progress:
Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Company -1/2" scale

USS Constitution - Model Shipways - Scale 1:76

HMS Granado - CAF Model - 1:48

HMS Sphinx - Vanguard

Jeff...That's the ones!!!!!  Wonderful blades... I'm still testing but so far they are superior to anything I've seen.

Edit:

Yikes.. I just re-read what I wrote... that much excitement on my part about scroll saw blades.   I hope you'll excuse me, I need to see Dr. Per.

Edited by mtaylor
Need to turn myself in to the Shipaholics thread... need help.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks for the link. Once I use up some of my Olson blades I'll give them a try. B)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

I use crown tooth blades,that cut both ways,and get a good finish unless I push it through too fast.

With the little 2/0 blades you can get nice square 90 degree corners.I'm using olson blades that

I get from rocklers and they are great for durability as well.Another place to look is Scroller.

Hope it Helps,

Doug Jones

Very helpful topic.  I recently bought a 16" Excaliber and love it.  I've been using Olsen blades on it with no problems, but was not sure what size blade and/or tooth configuration to use for the different materials I'm working with.  The link posted by Jeff is what I was looking for.

Thanks to all.

Frank

Pete38

When I bought my wife a used jig saw as she showed an interest at the time I got her a used RBI Hawk which came with a lot of blades. Check out their catalog, which also carries Olsen blades.

http://www.bushtonmanufacturing.com/index.html

I of course get to use her jig saw when she is not using it of course. The blades that came with the saw are great. Main things slow easy working and keep the blade clean. Enjoy working with that cherry as it looks great.

Later 42rocker

Current Build -- Finishing a 1:1 House that I've been building for a while

Current Build -- Triton Cross Section

I have an old scroll saw that uses 3" blades, like they all used to.  Who still sells 3" blades?

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Has anyody used spiral blades?  It seems that they would cut the tight angles better.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

• 2 weeks later...

I have used spiral blades as well with good results. The only problem I had is finding

them in very small diameter.They take a little bit of getting used to,cutting in all directions,

but they are exellent blades.Hope this helps.

Doug Jones

Thanks for the link, it has a bookmark for future purchases :)

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Thanks Doug.

Chuck Seiler
San Diego Ship Modelers Guild
Nautical Research Guild

Current Build:: Colonial Schooner SULTANA (scratch from Model Expo Plans), Hanseatic Cog Wutender Hund, John Smith Shallop
Completed:  Missouri Riverboat FAR WEST (1876) Scratch, 1776 Gunboat PHILADELPHIA (Scratch 1/4 scale-Model Shipways plans)

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Just started reading this thread, and I see a lot of options on jib saw blades.  Of course, before I get some blades, I need a saw.  What are your recommendations?  The Dremel Moto Saw?

Thanks.

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

• 5 months later...

When only the uncompromised best will do at cheaper prices than I see on previous links

contenti.com/sawing/sawblades/sierra-sawblades

contenti.com/sawing/sawblades/herkules-sawblades

cheap but worthy of mention: contenti.com/sawing/sawblades/champ-sawblades

I only buy from these people 

JP

Edited by JP01
Update: 12SEP2019. Contenti has a new "cheap" saw blade called Golden Alps and they work almost as good as the best ones and only cost about $10 for 144 blades. I tried them and highly recommend them!

Thanks for the info about Sawbird blades.  I'll consult them for advice. 

I was just using my cheapo Ryobi scrollsaw to cut 1/8" aluminum plate.  I did ok considering what I had at hand, an 18tpi blade and mineral oil for lubrication, but it got wiggly and then the line needed significant straightening with a curved-tooth file.

Since 2011 I've had a Skil SSaw from Sears costing me $90.00. My favorite Power tool. I have used it to cut everything from 3/4" oak to 1/16 basswood. I use it for fret work, clocks and my intarsia has some serious colorful hardwood, 1/2" puzzles and so on. My layered bowls are cut on an angle. It is all a matter of how creative you are.

I have cut brass tubes, aluminum siding, 1/2" Lexan Plexiglas, and other material. (It all depends on the type of blade you are using).

As you can read from the above, I have turned my SSaw into a band saw and a table saw.

I use Olson blades of various types and TPI's. Delta blades are so-so. I have also created some jigs so I can cut in a straight line.

Important note: when I paste a line tracing on the wood I completely cover the plank with clear packing tape. It lubricates the saw. So there is less breakage and burning. I do this to every piece of wood I cut.

Thanks for mentioning additional options to buy blades.

Marc

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).