La Créole 1827 by archjofo - Scale 1/48 - French corvette

Hello,

here are further preparations for Installation of carronades and cannons.

Meanwhile accumulated on the deck of my French corvette a lot of "junk". These pieces of equipment I have not yet fixed.

post-763-0-33078500-1422707357_thumb.jpg

On the blank ship deck the holes for the attachment of the breeching ropes can be more easily drilled.

post-763-0-34631800-1422707372_thumb.jpg

I also built a working aid together. This enables me when drilling support forward in order to guide the drill more safely.

post-763-0-24514700-1422707387_thumb.jpg

Edited by archjofo

Hello,
many thanks for your motivating comments

This drilling pattern is repeated twenty times. It was therefore obvious to use a template here.
post-763-0-03738400-1423311362_thumb.jpg

This I soldered together from brass. With a small handle the application easier. So that now, with a small graver holes all be precisely prearranged, without having to measure each time the model.

post-763-0-46043600-1423311381_thumb.jpg

See you around ...

This is absolutely amazing! You have quite a talent for detail. I keep looking back over it......WOW!!!!!!!!!

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

• 2 weeks later...

hi johann

i have been following your build log for a long time now. wow! incredible attention to detail , absolute mastery of workmanship! words cannot express the beauty of what you are creating.

this question has probably been asked before.......the timber for the basic hull construction , planking etc is it linde? i was thinking of ordering some from a chap in germany herr horschig at massiv-holz-werkdstatt......but have not come across this timber in england.

i assume its linden wood....a hardwood with a nice fine grain?

your help would be appreciated.

i look forward to your next post!

cheers....mick

Hi Mick,
thanks for the nice words.

The planking of the hull and other parts of the model are not made of linden wood but from pear wood.

Here is an internet address http://arkowood-shop.com/ of a dealer from Germany for model wood.

I hope to have helped you with it.

The battery of the La Créole fills up slowly but steadily. Today the carronade no. 17 was set. Now is still missing 3 pieces and 4 pieces 18 pounder, then the battery is fully.
The following photo shows the famous image of Horace Vernet the Battle of San Juan de Ulua with the poop deck of La Créole as background. I just wanted to transfer the atmosphere of the image on the model.

post-763-0-26289400-1427054894_thumb.jpg

post-763-0-78575900-1427054921_thumb.jpg

Stunning work, Johann, and I like that background image as it brings your ship to life.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Beautiful work, as always, JoHann. Looking at the quarter galleries (if that's what they're called on a corvette) I guess the designers were more interested in function than form. Sort of looks like a barn. Must have been a very dark space.

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752