La Créole 1827 by archjofo - Scale 1/48 - French corvette

Hello,

at the 3rd attempt I made a real brass disc with a diameter of 1.7 mm and a thickness of 0.5 mm and inserted it into the block.
Compared to the imitated disks, the difference is only marginal and does not justify the additional effort. 
I will probably make the "fake block".

DSC07720.thumb.jpg.d18a4623b4df754593ef572d9f5514c4.jpg

Johann, I agree, probably not work all the work, but still amazing that you are able to fabricate such small working details with such scale appearance. Well done. 

Able bodied seaman, subject to the requirements of the service.

"I may very well sink, but I'm damned if I'll Strike!" JPJ

My Pacific Northwest Discovery Series:

On the slipways in the lumberyard

Union, 1792 - 1:48 scale - POF Scratch build

18th Century Longboat - circa 1790 as used in the PNW fur trade - FINISHED

Future Builds (Wish List)

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

HM Armed Tender Chatham, 1788

HMS Discovery, 1789 Captain Vancouver

Santiago, 1775 - Spanish Frigate of Explorer Bruno de Hezeta

Lady Washington, 1787 - Original Sloop Rig

When the line is in you can't tel if There is real shave. Save your effort for other.... Visible.... Items! Your model is.......... OH my god so welllllllll made! Congrats mate 

... 1.7 mm x .5mm  sheaves???.....that is simply astonishing. How in the world is one even able to apply the groove to the perimeter of the sheave?

Built & De-Commissioned: HMS Endeavour (Corel), HMS Unicorn (Corel),

Abandoned: HMS Bounty (AL)

Completed : Wappen Von Hamburg (Corel), Le Renommee (Euromodel)... on hold

Current WIP: Berlin by Corel

On Shelf:  HMS Bounty (Billings),

Such precision work. Simply amazing. 

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                  Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                                HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

USS Constitution - Cross Section: Mamoli

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                                     King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

Battle Station Section: Panart (Gallery)

In Dry-dock                                                                                                       Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                                  USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Flying Fish: Model Shipways                                                                               

@mbp521

@mugje

@rtropp

Hello,

thank you very much for your positive comments.
And thank you all for the many LIKES.
That motivates me a lot.

"Great work.  I'm going to give it a try.  Can you tell me where you got the patterns for the blocks?"

Hello, Richard,

for this special type of block, which is only attached to the shrouds, there are corresponding drawings in the Atlas du Génie Maritime on plate no. 212. 
Do you know the Atlas du Génie Maritime ?
This is a collection of technical construction drawings of the French Navy from the 19th century. 
Here the corresponding plate no. 212:

GM04PL0212.thumb.jpg.4dac02efc1c11e13ebfaf309883dd49e.jpg

@Ponto

".. 1.7 mm x .5mm  sheaves???.....that is simply astonishing. How in the world is one even able to apply the groove to the perimeter of the sheave?"

Excuse me, 
unfortunately I did not see your question and therefore did not answer it.
But in the meantime I have posted a series of pictures for the production of these blocks. Maybe you have already seen them.
The groove is simply made with a needle file.

Hi Johann. Thank you  for the how to post on making those tiny blocks  and your work still leaves me on the speechless side. I took a look at the reference you gave on the  Atlas du Génie Maritime and think am going to hang on to that one. Do you know off hand if they have published the Atlas in book form since then? Could be a good one to get. Only item I have that comes close to this is the Encyclopedie Methodique Marine, 3 vols set and 1 vol of plates. Thank you. Gary

The 'Atlas' was never published as a book as such. In fact, it was a collection of loose lithographs that was being added to from time to time. No one institution seems to have a complete collection. The French Service Historique de la Defence (SHD) in Vincennes/Paris has one pretty complete collection. The Musée de la Marine in Paris too. However the Musée des Arts et Metiers in Paris has a collection that has some sheets that are not in the other collections. The Universit of Genoa in Italy also has a quite comprehensive collection: https://duilioship.unige.it/

There is also a collection of thumbnails of it on http://www.shipmodell.com/index_files/0PLAN_ATLAS1.html

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Hello,

in the meantime I have made the 1 and 2-disc blocks, the special kind. 
So now a total of 30 pieces of this special block type are finished.
As a reminder: it is a kind of guiding block which was fixed in the shrouds. In French these blocks are called "Moques de conduits".
A kind of fairleads, but with discs. 

DSC07741.thumb.jpg.39ed328afa7a2771297c9725bdefb9a0.jpg

DSC07742.thumb.jpg.bff71593adf424608753cfa7cc8d6581.jpg

Nicely made Johann.  The attention to detail is marvelous, especially your splice around the Fairleads or "Moques de conduits".

By the way, the disks you refer to are called “sheaves” in English. 

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

No criticism, just trying to help teach like you are teaching all of us what can be accomplished in beautiful scale details. Keep it up 😃

Columbia Redidiva, 1787

Hello,

the first of these blocks was attached to the main shrouds. 
As an aid I used a wooden strip which was covered with a double-sided adhesive tape.
Nevertheless it is a very difficult job to tie up these tiny pieces with Japanese silk yarn.

DSC07728_wett.jpg.5b1df85719507786fa436457d35ee20f.jpg

DSC07729_wett.jpg.57fb066cf71df3385e70fcb4ef9ec8bd.jpg

@Dziadeczek

Thanks for your appreciation.
I have already thought about that. No matter how cleanly you handle the glue, there is always a residue and you might see that.
My philosophy in model making is, only as much glue as absolutely necessary. 

I prefer fast-drying solvent-based lacquer (zapon lacquer, as used to protect brass and silver from tarnishing) for this purposes. It is basically invisible and can be loosened with a drop of acetone, if needed. It can also applied in small quantities with a fine brush.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Today I once again felt the need to create a scene in the style of a historical postcard on the battery deck of the French corvette. The "Second Maitre" is from the book "La Marine" from 1843 after an illustration by Morel-Fatio.

SW__LaCreole_1830.thumb.jpg.804c267e0a97c6627d4f1710aa425368.jpg