Surabaya by Piet - 1/80 - Mid 17th-Century VOC ship

Nice work Piet, Its hard to believe that these are the first carvings you have done

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Thanks again to all who came to visit and hit the like button, you are always welcome in my humble shipyard.

@ George:  Yes, there are still many mysteries in the world for which we may never find the answers.

@ Remco:  Thanks but wait till version 3 or 4 or 5 come along.  It's really not easy at this scale.

@ Popeye:  Thank you for the kudos but it's like my old friend Michael Angelo said, remove everything that doesn't belong and you'll have a perfect carving.  Now, I still have a problem seeing what belongs and what not ;)

@ Pete:  Thank you too my friend and yes, it's really my first attempt at this very rewarding endeavor.

Well, like I mentioned last time, I was contemplating in making a new SuraBaya carving.  This morning I sketched a new scene on a previously cut piece of boxwood.  It's just a tad larger by about 2 mm overall.  I also re positioned the croc's head with a slight twist.  I added the croc's tail and re positioned the shark's head slightly to see more of the lower jaw.  The shark's dorsal fin will also be moved slightly forward and made the tail more shark like.  Now all I have to do is make it all work so it looks believable.

I also made a second knecht (knight) for more practice, which is actually version 2.0.  I used poplar wood which is really not good for this kind of work at this scale.  But it's good enough for practice.  There are hard and soft sections in it that tend to make the blade skip.

After version 2. 0 was completed I thought that I was getting the hang of it so I cut a few blocks of boxwood and went to work on version 3.0.  It's slightly better but still too broad at the cheeks.  Tomorrow morning I'll remove some material and see how that looks.  If Gwen thinks it's okay then I'll have to carfe a second one for the forecastle and make hats for them.

There wont be much time for the shipyard in the next two days due to doctor appointments.  Nothing serious, just scheduled checkups.  I'll also be discussing about an upcoming MRI (again) for which I'm not too keen on.  Too many radiology exposures to my delicate bod doesn't really sit well with me.

Okay, here are a few pics on the continuing saga of my carving attempts.

post-1399-0-89926900-1455591595_thumb.jpg

This then is version 2.0 of the Surabaya carving.  I have annotated the changes I planned to make and wish me luck. 

post-1399-0-66259700-1455591633_thumb.jpg

Knecht version 2.0 in poplar wood, better but still no cigar.

post-1399-0-17023500-1455591649_thumb.jpg

Knecht version 2.0 on the knight timber. 

post-1399-0-05492300-1455591711_thumb.jpg

Knecht version 3.0 in boxwood, getting a little better.  Remove some from the cheek area to make the face more egg shape. 

post-1399-0-76983500-1455591742_thumb.jpg

Knecht 3.0 on the knight timber.

Cheers, 

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Hi Piet, the carvings are getting better and better. Jut a few remarks on the shark, should the dorsal fin not be a bit more to the rear(stern :)) and did you leave the left front fin away on purpose. You could show the latter sticking out under the crocs foot.

Picture

Remco

Edited by Remco

Treat each part as if it is a model on its own, you will finish more models in a day than others do in a lifetime. 

Current build HMS Kingfisher

MSW 1.0 log click here

Thanks for the comments Remco.  The dorsal fin I was talking about is actually the secondary back fin.  In version 1.0 it's right above the croc's lower jaw and not really visible on the photo but quite evident when holding it in the hand.  In retrospect I'll leave it where I had it in version 1.0 because I carved it a few mm's above the jaw.

I'm glad you brought that dorsal fin issue up.  Now that I look at it again that's what that skinny looking fin is supposed to be.  It needs to be redrawn to make it look like a dorsal fin and carve it as such. This may also change the croc's tail and maybe not even necessary, we'll see.  I'll definitely will add it when I start with the carving. 

It's kinda hard to draw a two dimensional shark in a twist but let me look at it again and see what needs to be done to make it look right in an open /bass relief carving where we have a semi three dimensional figure.

I have also worked version 3.0 of the knecht head a little more and he now looks more better ;) (bad spelling on porpose ) .  Still a little more wood away from the back to make the skull and neck more pronounced.  I love to use boxwood rather then a soft wood.  With a sharp #11 or scalpel I can take very tiny cuts off and even scraping, which removes only sawdust. 

Thanks to everyone for visiting and putting up with my carving endeavors and your like votes.

I do have some good news from my urology doc this afternoon, no trace of cancer.  Bladder looks very good, like new he said and I'm now on a 6 month check schedule.  I'm a happy camper  :D :D

More updates on the carving later.

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Congrats Piet.  That's even better news than that about the carving.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

So happy to hear Piet!!!!  :dancetl6:   :pirate41:

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Thank you all for your very kind words, it's a great feeling to have so many friends :D

Didn't do much today in the shipyard, had a dentist appointment to fill a very small cavity and workd some in the back yard. 

When I looked at the bur he was going to use on my tooth I told him that's exactly the size I need for carving these small knight heads and other carvings.  Guess what he did?  After he was done he gave me that bur!  What a guy :):dancetl6:

Yeah, I showed him the carvings I did and he really liked them.

I did do some rearranging of the Surabuaya carving drawing and changed the large dorsal fin to make it look like a dorsal fin. I also changed the position of the large right body fin.  A few more miner changes in the lines and I think I'll start cutting it out and start carving some wood away.  I think it'll look a lot better.  As  progress the dorsal fin may still be changed slightly.  It's better when you see the figures appear out of the flat piece of wood.

The knight head was also worked on and is looking better.  A little more off the chin and then I'm calling it okay.  Then the hat.  I think of making it a Java native hat, one of those cone like things.

Now comes the question of the finish - staining it cherry?  Paint?  Kinda difficult to paint this tiny head and make it look okay.

Sorry to bore you good folks with more talk and pics of my carving tries but I can really use your input, don't be shy.

post-1399-0-89518300-1455765252_thumb.jpg

This is version 2.1 and shows the changes to the drawing and layout of the subjects.  Yes, the dorsal fin will not have that pronounced curve where it comes of the shark's body.  I think the head is now also in a more realistic position.  The tail is also more shark like .

post-1399-0-39178100-1455765291_thumb.jpg

This is version 3.1 of the knecht head.  I removed quite a bit of wood from the sides to make the head more egg shape.  I also removed some wood from the nape of the neck and will also remove some material from the chin - again. 

post-1399-0-09336100-1455765305_thumb.jpg

Here is version 3.1 on the pulley post - growling at you.  I have already started with the second knecht head,  I'll try using my new very fine bur and see how that works.  The #11 blade does great but is prone to taking too much material away.  The funny thing is that these burs on boxwood don't do that.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Piet,

Huzza for the good tidings, I'll grab a tot to your health!

Concerning the carving ... How was the original treated ... stained: Stain it; painted: Paint it. When I look at what you have accomplished at small scale, even by your unbreakable perseverance, I wouldn't worry overtly. You'll get it right ... I know it

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Glad you reminded me Piet....

I had not visited this build in so long, it's amazing how much you've done since I last dropped in. She's just beautiful mate.

Your hinged gun port lids are just beyond crazy good.

Ain't carving fun?!! Nice work.

Cheers

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Congrats on your clean bill of health, I know that's gotta be a load off your mind...... Nice!! work on the carvings....

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

First of all my thanks to all for visiting and your likes.

@ George:  Thank you for the kind word.  Yes, they are fiddly parts but it's rather relaxing and making sure I don't slip with the #11 blade ;):o   So far I have lucked out.

@ Carl:  Thanks for the good words, appreciate it.  Hey, this IS the original so I'll have to wing it, no examples then on paintings and models :(   This ship is of my own design (before I knew better ;) )  I may just stain then, the Javanese people are a light brown anyway and the hats are from woven palm fond leave centers.  

@ Dave:  Thank you Dave for dropping by and checking up on me.  Good to see you in the shipyard.  Gun port hinges are indeed crazy, 1/2 mm brass tubing.  Yup, carving is fun and relaxing but slow going.

@ Frank:   Thank you also for the good words.  Yes, a good med report is always welcome and a stress relief.  Thanks for the good word on my humble carving efforts.

@ Dirk:  Thank you for dropping in and your kind words.  Now you tell me that I don't have to carve every detail in those tiny knechten hoofdjes ;)   I thought they had to look something like people :rolleyes:   No problem though, I do like to work small.

@ Lawrence:  Yes indeed it was good news and a load off my poor mind.  The carvings are evolving and hopefully someday they'll look like halfway decent.  Thanks for the undeserved compliment, I'm still learning and trying.  You can do it too my friend, just follow the advice my friend Michael Angelo, carve everything away that doesn't look like Humphrey and you are there, simple ;)

Yesterday I made the hats for the two heads.  Carved them from a solid square piece of wood, now that was really fiddly work.  Had to be very diligent and careful because of the grain.  It's so easy to use too much force but here too I lucked out. 

I hollowed the hats out a little to make them appear lower on the heads like they should.  I then cemented them on with a dab of CA.  They still need some extra trimming and now I need to add some hair to the heads.  Or maybe just some flat black paint.

These seemingly small jobs just take so much time but what else is there to do - - - oh yeah, spring yard work and there's a lot.  Have neglected it some so I have to get going before Gwen hires a yardman for mucho dinarie ;)

Okay, here is a picture of the two knechten still loosely placed on the pulley beam gizmos.

post-1399-0-82856000-1456025517_thumb.jpg

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Wonderful knightheads, Piet.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Tought they used smaller hats in Indonesia, Piet ... More cylindrical  These look like the hats used in the rice paddies, etc.all over Asia. Fortunately you know best as beeing born and bred!!! Still, 'chapeau' for the carving ... they do give a nice touch to it

Cheers

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Piet,

I'd like to order 100 pcs of the following figure:

post-11645-0-02237900-1456078259_thumb.jpg

Hight approx. 8 mm.

When can you deliver? I have to fill some boxes of the Batavia modelkit..... :)

GREAT work you're doing!

Hans   

Owner of Kolderstok Models - 17th century Dutch ships.

Please visit www.kolderstok.com for an overview of the model kits available   

Thank you Mark, Carl, Sjors Hans and Jan for the kudos and thanks to all who clicked the like button.

@ Carl: Yes indeed the paddie workers wore them kind of hats but also other folks and kids.  Rather then using a fez or their traditional black fez like hats I chose something unusual.  It's different alright, I wanted something other then the usual knechten you'd see on VOC ships, like Moors as Hans shows.

@ Sjors: No my friend, I usually smile and these have a mean looking face ;)  I would be angry too of I had to be perched on top of a post  :rolleyes:    Actually, one looks like the gardener that came around once a week, with one of those pointy hats too  :)

@ Hans:  Ah yes, that looks terrific!  I love that carving on the Batavia, well done.  Hmmm, you need 100 of them and in 5 mm?  Better get stated man - - - - - you can make one and make molds so you cast the rest, do like Sawdust Dave does it ;):rolleyes::o

@ Jan: Yes, that was a concern to make sure that the ropes don't rub against the hats.  I think I measured it out but one never knows - - - my measurements may be off.  In that case we'll have to go to version 3.0.  Just remove the hats and give them a full head of hair.

Talking about hair, I did not carve hair on their heads and had to add some, which I did today.  I was thinking of cutting a few pieces from Gwen's head :o  So when i asked for some she told me that if  tried "to be afraid, to be VERY afraid."  So whit that ominous warning I resorted to using cotton from a swab.  Worked okay.  A little glue and dabbing some cotton on, a little trimming and it actually looks kinda like the real thing B)  It even feels soft like hair, no kidding  ^_^

Next will have to be painting the faces a light brown with - hopefully - red lips.  Can't give hem rosy cheeks though.  Hey, I'm having fun.

I finished version 2.0 of the surabuaya carving this afternoon.  I think it really came out pretty good, even Gwen said it looks great.  I even put teeth in the crock's mouth.  A few bamboo slivers, poked a few tapered holes on the jaw, some CA and shoved the bamboo slivers into the holes.  Then trimmed them to size and carefully shaped them into pointy teeth with my trusted #11 blade.

I stained it rather lightly with cherry, just enough to offset it from the darker counter.  I can now cement the carving to the counter and will use two pins as extra security and strength.  Don't know yet what kind of glue or cement, I'll think about it some.

Hey, I kinda like this carving thing, challenging but rewarding when things work out good.  This small stuff is a strain on the eyes though but it's a good thing to exerciser the eye muscles.

Next are the carvings for the head-railings up front and the lion!  I'm rather apprehensive about tackling that one but sooner or later I have to do it.

Okay, here are a few pics of the work we have done, hope yuns approve.

post-1399-0-71684800-1456284025_thumb.jpg

Here I have placed the unstained version 2.0 carving on the counter with version 1.0 next to it for comparison.  When you click on the picture to enlarge it you may see the teeth.  h yeah, I even added the crock's tail.

post-1399-0-63975600-1456284048_thumb.jpg

A close-up showing the crock's teeth.  This was before I played dentist and cut the teeth a little shorter and shaped them into more crock style teeth.  Sharpened my #11 blade and lucked out again not damaging any teeth.

post-1399-0-40823300-1456284098_thumb.jpg

Here I am holding the carving on the palm of my hand to reduce the glare and also as a indicator to it's size.

post-1399-0-78621800-1456284121_thumb.jpg

The completed carving on the counter about where i think it should go.  There'll be carvings all around including the name plate.

post-1399-0-17151700-1456284142_thumb.jpg

Both knechten have hair now.  Ready for some suntan ;)

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Wow Piet!! They turned out amazing! A croc with teeth! Next you'll be doing carvings for the Royal William, Wasa, and all those other heavily ornamented ships.  :P

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

WoW !!! Your Surabuaya carving looks incredible, Piet.

Fantastic job.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

very nice, Piet, Looking good, nice work on the carvings 

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/