Surabaya by Piet - 1/80 - Mid 17th-Century VOC ship

nice job on the carvings........very intricate work  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thanks to all for visiting, your comments and likes, it's all much appreciated.

I finished the two "knechten" yesterday.  I first thought of carving a few simple Dutch woolen hats for these two guys but then I went back and decided to make the jester's hats.  But from wood?  I pondered that idea for a few minutes and figured to give this Skulpi stuff a try.  After fussing with it for some time, feeling like having two sticky left hands and all thumbs I finally produced two passable hats.  At least they are not too bad for a first try with clay modeling.

After I cemented these hats back on the knight's heads I added beards and hair, painted that black with India ink.  I may have to trim the beards a little but that can come later.

Instead of painting the hats in a checkerboard pattern, as is custom, I just split the colors in the middle of the hats, green and red as used on the ship.  Doing it checkerboard was getting to be too challenging.  

So, today I mounted both of the knechten to the heavy pulley posts on the forecastle deck and now the ropes run freely behind and in front of them.  That'll make them happy  ;)   It does liven up the forecastle a lot, I'm happy with the result.

This'll be the end of the knight head saga and go on to something else.  Don't know yet what.  In the meantime I am still working on that little experiment and am coming close for the reveal  :)  :rolleyes:

Well then, here are the pics of the knight heads, proudly scowling at the crew.

post-1399-0-12992700-1457577516_thumb.jpg

Both knight heads pinned on a small board for a glue and paint drying fixture.  I used cotton for the hair and beard again and also did some touching up on the hats and the beards before cementing them onto the pulley posts.  I may still trim the beards some, if possible.

post-1399-0-14526300-1457577536_thumb.jpg

Here they are, proudly supervising the forecastle crew. 

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

It is always a special treat to come and play catch-up on your Surabaya Piet. You are clearly having fun at this art far beyond most modelers. I also enjoy your dialogue almost as much as I your work. It may mean more to me personally, having had the pleasure of spending time with you and coming to understand what an amazingly deep character you are. Love ya mate.

Edited by SawdustDave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Impressive Piet, Those look incredible, Beautiful job my friend

Best Regards,

Pete

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

Thank to everyone visiting and liking my endeavors, special thanks to all who added a comment, it's all very much appreciated.

@ Dave: Thank you and you made me blush :blush:  The pleasure was all mine - meeting you.  The dialog?  Well, if I can encourage others in trying their hand at doing things they have never done before then they'll make my day.  As you and Remco know from personal experience - I am a gabber :)  ;) 

@ Remco: Thanks buddy, it works for me :)  The whole model is a figment of my imagination and these knechten may not be the way as used in them there olden days, but they should have  ;) 

@ Patrick:  Thank you and Gwen likes them too :)  A big plus.

@ Carl:  Thank you.  Funny thing is that "knecht" doesn't even translate into "knight."  According to Gwen's very old  Dutch - English High School dictionary a knecht is a servant or indentured, slave, or man in bondage.  Sorry for the added info but it's directed to the non Dutch speakers - a little trivia never hurts, right?   Yes, the traditional checkerboard pattern on these hats would test my abilities to the max.  Don't think that it didn't cross my mind though :rolleyes:

@ Pete:  Thank you my friend.

Didn't do diddly squat on the Surabaya today.  Had to do yard work.  Bought 200 + square feet of St. Augustine sod for the front yard and several patches for the back yard. 

I did manage to make some changes to my other project, improved it a little, I think.

Tomorrow is more yard work, removing weeds where the sod pieces are to go, add some edging material to keep that pesky ground  cover from getting into the grass and then laying the sod.  This'll be a multi day project and could use some help ;)

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

I've done landscaping work in the past, and there's nothing easy about it Piet! Lots of "bullwork" involved! If I was closer, I'd give you a hand, but since I can't, I would hope you can find some down there. Just don't "over-do" it, because we don't want to hear of a hospital visit OK?  :)

Cheers :cheers:

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Funny thing is that "knecht" doesn't even translate into "knight."

Hmmm, now you've shed a light on the dark recesses of the Dutch language ... (sigh) ... it's not as Double Dutch as most think it is ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Thanks fellows for the encouragements and the laughs :)

Hey George, I know my limits and i have a ;awn chair nearby with fresh water, in the shade.  No problem with my ooooold bod ;)

Yeah Carl, that Dutch language is um - - - a little cornfusing at times - - when compared with other languages.  Talking about double Dutch, we have a booklet about that, hilarious.  The problem for non Dutch speakers it makes absolutely no sense. 

Who you calling old Dave?  My father used to say, the devil is old and his mother is even older.  Next month the 15th will be 82, that's all :)

I have too may things to do yet and need an extra lifetime for all them things ;)   Okay fellers, I'll take it easy on my delicate bod, not to worry but thanks for your concern.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Talking about double Dutch,

Hi Piet, I am thinking Dubbelzoute drop ( It's been years since I had them, It makes my mouth water just thinking about them) 

Best Regards,

Pete

post-7445-0-68706700-1457919272_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pete48

"may your sails be full of wind and the sun on your back"

Current Builds :

Future Builds :

N.G Herreshoff 12 1/2 Scratch Build 3/4" = 1' - 0" Scale

Completed Builds :

Volvo 65 Farr Yacht Design

Herreshoff Alerion

Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14

Volvo Open 70

Member : 

The Herreshoff Registry                                  Montgomery Sailboat Owners Group       Peter Kunst Sailboat Models 
http://www.herreshoffregistry.org/                       http://www.msog.org/                      http://www.facebook.com/Peter-Kunst-Sailboat-Models-1524464774524480/ 

as I browse through these pages,  looking for ideas........your perhaps the first name that comes to mind.   super work on the carvings.......enjoyed the process you took to make them.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Thank you Greg and Popeye Dennis for your kind words.  And thanks to all who clicked on the like button.

Not much done on the Surabaya I'm afraid.  Am still very busy with yard work.  A few more days and then I can relax a little in the shipyard.

I am doing a few things in between on my other project though.  A few minutes here and there.  There is still a lot of trying a few things to see if they work well enough to get started on the real thing.

As far as the Surabaya is concerned, it's a toss-up among several jobs.  Right now am not sure whether to start carving the bow lion, the railing carvings, the counter carvings or getting the mizzenmast ready for the shrouds.  I'm not at a loss of things to do.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Lawrence for dropping in and your very kind words.  I have not abandoned the build but am still very busy with other kinds of work.  Yes, the yard work seems to be taking more time then anticipated.  Am also helping my dear neighbor with her driveway and a water leak in her lawn sprinkler system.  The town took a 4 X 4 foot piece of concrete out of her driveway to fix the sewer drain pipe but are not replacing the cement.  So, I offered to do that for her.  I bought nine 80 pound bags of quick-crete to make the patch. There is of course a lot of additional prep work to do before mixing and pouring the concrete..

So, for the next few days I'll be busy with that.

Gwen had to drive up north last week to assist our daughter who is recuperating from a lower back injury but will be driving home this coming Wednesday.  Needles to say, I had to do house work, laundry, etc and am cooking a few dinners for her so she can recoup from that long drive - 900 miles!

I'll be back at the bench soon, I hope ;)

Cheers to all,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Piet,

I think you'll need to recoup from the concrete work in addition to all the other chores you have going on.  My back is hurting just thinking about the concrete work....

Edited by mtaylor

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Piet,

I think you'll need to recoup from the concrete work in addition to all the other chores you have going on. My back is hurting just thinking about the concrete work....

Piet - my back's hurting as well! Take it easy. Remember, retirement is supposed to be fun and relaxing, isn't it.

Cheers

Patrick

You are a good neighbor Piet.

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

your a very diversified guy Piet!   take care of the world around you.........the ship will still be there......waiting  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Still going strong despite the absence of Gwen ... thst's good to hear ... She'll be thrilled to be back ... to see you with a platter of Indonesian food in your hands !!! and the big smile on your face, a tidy house and yard and all the other things done she normally does...

Keep it up, time for modelling is near ...

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

• 2 weeks later...

My heartfelt thanks to Mark, Patrick, JesseLee, Popeye Denis, Carl and Lawrence for you kind words and concern about my back.  Back is doing fine as is the rest of the body.  It's a great feeling being still in good enough shape to do it and be helpful to a nice neighbor.

I did fix her broken lawn sprinkler pipe though this morning and cut groves in all the cracks in her driveway.  Next is to show her how to fill them with crack sealer compound.

I'm still too busy with chores around the house and yard that makes it difficult spending some quality time in the shipyard.  Oh, I sneak in a few minutes working on my special project, trying different things and materials to realize what I see in my mind.  I'm not ready yet to reveal it and start a build log.  Some more experimenting is in order.

I'm still not sure what to tackle next on the VOC ship Surabaya but that block of castello has moved to the breakfast table.  Reason being, to draw the bow lion on it so I can start carving that puppy.

Okay, all y'all be good and stay in good health.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Hey Piet

Good to hear about your back.   I'd hate to lose my mobility, even for a short while; so I can just imagine how you feel.

However, keeping all of us in suspense about your new project, is grossly unfair!!!   ;)   Didn't your mother teach you never to keep secrets?????   :)  :)  :)

Cheers and all the very best!

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

glad to hear your up and about  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Happy Birthday my friend! May you have many more. Sounds like you're keeping busy...

John & Diane

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com