Pelikaan Dutch Beamtrawler 1999 by kees de mol - FINISHED - scale 1/75

Today I did the last things to the polyester mold. I cut all the edges sanded and everything. Then it was time to find out if both halves of the mold wanted to separate. First I very carefully put a chisel between the halves and into the gap I tapped wooden wedges. It took some time and effort but suddenly The first halve separated from the wooden hull and after some tapping the other half released.

I am very happy because it was quite a lot of work and it was very exciting if everything would work the way I wanted.

Here some pictures from begin till now

DSCF0095_zpsqh3miaae.jpg

DSCF0096_zpskw7ydivt.jpg

DSCF0104_zpsabogya2i.jpg

DSCF0494_zpsjzehv05y.jpg

DSCF0495_zpsfzxwx5g1.jpg

IMG_20151201_172554_zpsnill98ob.jpg

IMG_20151202_105008_zpsilmrbtxt.jpg

IMG_20151202_180525_zpsevje0enp.jpg

P1030229_zpsz0s9s2vn.jpg

IMG_20160206_211833_zpsg7ao7ucp.jpg

IMG_20160208_161649_zpsgkyrivss.jpg

Released parts

IMG_20160208_172234_zpsyblxjnry.jpg

IMG_20160208_172248_zpsocdwe9dj.jpg

IMG_20160208_172310_zpsng532sdp.jpg

IMG_20160208_172327_zpsmume1lmw.jpg

Kees,

a beautiful made negative mould

thanks for showing the procedure, very inspirative !   ;)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Speaking of massproduction:)

Jan

Yes this is massproduction and it only takes five minutes to do :cheers: . I hear a lot about 'printing' in the world of modelbuilders so I wanted to try it myself. But now I wonder what's the 3D they are all talking about. No 3D for me.

Superb work on the hull mould - a lesson for all of us. :stunned:  :im Not Worthy: :im Not Worthy:   And the other pieces are looking pretty good too - your moulding and casting came out beautifully and I look forward to all the pieces coming together. 

Greg

Edited by SailorGreg

Thank you all for the motivations

Today I finished the Self Inflatable Liferafts. I remeber my father (who was a fisherman) called them dinkys. It has two plastic shells which are bond together and in between is the liferaft. The liferaft is stored in a steel cage which can be tilted over to release the raft in the sea. In the water the  raft inflates and a rope keeps the raft close to the ship.

59ca75fd87791_Pelikaan(175).thumb.jpg.ac3df924b54a5235315258a9962f58c7.jpg59ca75fa36171_Pelikaan(172).thumb.jpg.d8021dfc70c497c2a99c52df24979fbf.jpg59ca75f70aacf_Pelikaan(160).thumb.jpg.cf2ee5950e7b0dabb6f8e87b4e870d37.jpg59ca75f3cec7e_Pelikaan(158).thumb.jpg.f9f5b715baa47f7830dce43dbdfdb102.jpg59ca75f078e6b_Pelikaan(157).thumb.jpg.d7766fb4464e25c37558a43584e120f2.jpg59ca75ec98572_Pelikaan(177).thumb.jpg.d229142a13decea31a7396b92eea67a2.jpg
Kind Regards, Kees

Edited by kees de mol

the hull mold is fabulous Kees!     great job on the life rafts and racks  :)   super detail all around! 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

It just keeps getting better.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Superb work Kees.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Very, very nice work Kees

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

• 2 weeks later...

In the molds I created earlier I laminated a new shiphull. 300 grams of polyester and 450-grams glasfiber. It went oke but unfortunately there is a little damage. Luckily I was able to fix this and now I have a nice light weight hull. Now there are to more hulls to laminate so I can go on building

Edited by kees de mol

Beautiful work Kees.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

what are they.......shallow spots?   hope they don't impose on the outer hull surface.   they look great though.......quite an operation you've done there.  the I.D. on the hull though does tend to limit the hulls you can produce........unless you have a way to change them,  when making a different hull of the same configuration.  it's a great process though........something to think about.

I was in Hobby Lobby yesterday.......and I looked at a kit for resin mold / part making.  I never knew there was such a thing.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

The spots are spots where the gelcoat "fish eyed" I dont know how to solve that but they form no problem. The glassfibre has a good thicknes everywhere.

The ID-number I did on purpose because I made these moulds for me, not for someone else who might be interested. I want to make at least 3 models with the same registration number so for me it reduces the work. Removing the reg. number will take some good abbrasive paper en some 30 miniutes of your live. Not a big problem I think?

At the moment I am laminating a second hull so I hope that one will be better.

Thank you all for the motivation.

Today I finished the mold for the spraydeck. I applyed lots of layers of moldwax and the part is now shining like carpaint. Tomorrow I will get the new gellcoat I ordered. I got a hint from a experienced moldbuilder to use other gellcaot to prevent the mold sticking to the laminated part. So next time hopefully a product without damage.

IMG_20160225_210835_zpsgei2vecf.jpg

The first hulls sticked to the mould a little bit and ther was some damage. I repaired the damage but I got a hint to use other gelcoat. The gelcoat is the first layer applied to the mold. The outher layer of the hull when de-moulded.

Now I used transparant gelcoat with pigmentpaste for colour. Everythin went oke now and I could demould the hull without any problems.

59ca764e9611e_Pelikaan(185).thumb.jpg.47bb85d973cfd9c34457e653f68d2462.jpg59ca764a55574_Pelikaan(184).thumb.jpg.36371e6b7c418526901bdb1d1015f0e8.jpg
Tot de volgende update

Edited by kees de mol

looks really sweet there,  Kees!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

This model is getting better and better. The molds and the way you do it is new to me and I love what you create with that.

Also, I like the coin you used as size comparison. One Gulden? (WOW, cool beans) For the modelers that don't know what that coin looks like it is roughly the same size as a quarter.

Marc

Current Built: Zeehaen 1639, Dutch Fluit from Dutch explorer Abel J. Tasman

Unofficial motto of the VOC: "God is good, but trade is better"

Many people believe that Captain J. Cook discovered Australia in 1770. They tend to forget that Dutch mariner Willem Janszoon landed on Australia’s northern coast in 1606. Cook never even sighted the coast of Western Australia).

Thanks for the encouragments folks. The coin is indeed a guilder(gulden), app. one inch in size  from the days money had some value here in this country. Now we have the euro :( The only thing I know sure of this euro is that we export hundreds of millions (or billions) every year to Greece and in the future Eastern Europe.

I have done a lot of work to the model so I will update soon to show the results.

Kind regards, Kees

The colour is RAL3003 and was the closest to the final colour. The final colour is a bit of a problem because nor the produces nor the owners of the ship give me any help. I am tired of asking so I will try to mix the colour myself.

well,  if you know your close to the color,  you'll know whether it needs to be lightened or darkened.  you'll do just fine!   wicked sharp hull  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

The only thing I know is that the owner uses Jotun 473 paint (thats what he says) The had no RAL number for me.  After lots of surching on the internet I found out dat 473 is a number of the Brittish Standard (BS473)

This is the colour the say is the right one

Gulf%20Red_zps2tqhzrjk.jpg

This colour looks a little brown(ish) and I think it's more the colour of the antifouling

This is the colour I want. I think there is some purple in it. But on every photo the colour looks different so I am trying some different combinations

DSCF0381_zps2kkxtyob.jpg

I am also building the nozzles and props but that will follow soon