Pelikaan Dutch Beamtrawler 1999 by kees de mol - FINISHED - scale 1/75

Jan,

I thought so too, it would be normal practice. When I saw the site of the SumWing you only see a single apparatus in the videos, but that is logical, considering the clear view in that 'clear' water. However, since I saw Kees build only three, I started wondering ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Yes it is as Carl says. I can write a lot about it but I think there is a YT-video which explains everything. It is made on the OD-1 which is almost the same as the KW88.

https://youtu.be/HXfnHjeiKoI

@Carl. The side with the chains will be facing the inner side of the bulwarks so thats why I made this a little bit scematic. But on the set for my own model there are still chains. No one will ever see them but I will know they are there B)

The bigger chains for lifting the sumwings I will add later

with the caliber of craftsmanship I see you do.........I'll wait and let you surprise me   ;)   nice progress on the sumwings...........garlic?!?!?!.....got anyone willing to hang 'round you while this is going on? :D   :D.    actually,  I found some netting material in a craft store.......good for the larger ships.   for smaller ships I find that they sell bunched up bath sponges {only word I know to describe them} work well.   yea......I know.......we find our supplies in our travels ;)

rest assured that no vampire will be mugg'in you in the next week or two   :D   :D

Edited by popeye the sailor

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I made some pictures of the garlicnets. They have a nice mesh from arround 2 millimeter. Today I robbed the Turkish supermarket so I think I have enough nets now.

59cb569ee3055_Pelikaan(338).thumb.jpg.f61bcd17cdf5ac3d0107b4419e1e9e64.jpg

59cb569b372b9_Pelikaan(337).thumb.jpg.51d4e3940f1169c0ce770e2257dfc9b7.jpg

Edited by kees de mol

Set backs ... which!?!?!?

I made a mistake with the back of the ship but I discovered it just after I had glued everything with superglue :o  And I have some health issues (the reason why I have so much 'buildingtime') I am now awaiting a new treatment but it can take some weeks before they call me. This gives me and my family a lot of uncertainty. After every smile there is a story :(

I hope you qualify for the new treatment, Kees.  After dealing (and continue to deal with) my Admiral's health issues, I understand the uncertainty.  

The ship is looking great, by the way.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Kess,

The err in building can more easily be overcome, although, superglue ...!!! did you test fit, and glue it on without looking ... :stunned: 

I'm sorry to hear about the health problem. Your health is an entire different matter, and I can understand the uncertainty for you and your family. I fervently hope the new treatment will have the desired result, making life easier and enjoyable for you and your family!! You are in my thoughts ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

so true........nothing is more fragile,  than one's health.   you had mentioned being ill a while ago.......is this ongoing?    I wish you well my friend,  and hope there is a good outcome.  the sumwings look great.....I'm sure you'll have no problems dealing with the other thing  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

I went a litlle further with the structure of the back of the ship. It was more work than I expected because i want to make the structure removable because of the electric wiring for the numerous leds in the model.

No more talking... here are the provisional results (times three but I only show one)

59cb56ef22125_Pelikaan(341).thumb.JPG.134b9667a5d7234171584577f106a162.JPG

59cb56ec74f03_Pelikaan(339).thumb.jpg.bd5480ebed0e1accbcabf71fb3932f51.jpg

59cb56e94c6bb_Pelikaan(336).thumb.jpg.e8a726135df5891ffc95679e99de02c3.jpg

59cb56e584ebf_Pelikaan(335).thumb.jpg.69483e5723cfc251859ee50da17227a9.jpg

Now on with all the details. :pirate41:

Edited by kees de mol

Hoi Kees, my thoughts and best wishes for a successful treatment and recovery.  Fantastic work on the build.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Splendid!.........I can't wait to see some color on her!  ;)   top notch work......the detail is fantastic!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Hello Jan and everybody else. Thanks for watching and hitting the like-button.

There is a little interiour in the bridge but I masked the windows for painting. The interiour is scematic because the windows are so small. But when people look trough the windows they will see 'something' like an interiour. When finished the windows will get clearfoil.

IMG_20151217_203211_zpsnxckct2h.jpg

There is a little interiour in the bridge but I masked the windows for painting. The interiour is scematic because the windows are so small. But when people look trough the windows they will see 'something' like an interiour. When finished the windows will get clearfoil.

Super !!   :)   :)

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

very well done Kees......reminds me of  the star trek bridge  ;)    sadly my friend........that's the drawback to small windows.    you can go nutz in there,  and perhaps half of it can be seen.   we as modelers wear it as a thorny crown............"but we know it's there".   thank the model god for the camera  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

I was thinking the Star Trek bridge also.  Nice work on the bridge, Kees.   So much detail in there as it is, I'm not sure what else you could put in.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Yes the wheelhouse of modern fishingships have a lot of modern technology. I think there is more technology than You find on the Enterprise. I called my wheelhouse scematic because I made it based just on photo's made a few bigger 'devices' in stead of all the devices and computers. On the real ship there are also lots of appliances and computers on the ceiling. I make some leds in the wheelhouse and I think this will give a nice effect when you look trough the windows.

And as said.. Maybe nobody will see but i will know B)

Thanks everybody for watching, comments and like's.

Today a dryfit for the parts. I finished the railings and some other details. Now I start with the deck and the front of the ship. Nothing is fit yet and some parts need some finishing.

59cb57ac893dd_Pelikaan(345).thumb.jpg.9abfa4ba3b301f8f7a9a6245d227ac0d.jpg

59cb57a92ca49_Pelikaan(344).thumb.jpg.4edc27f030898545b05b3bc4e955faf1.jpg

59cb57a58f50b_Pelikaan(343).thumb.jpg.4bdb12048379240a23c5ce77f8de9ba6.jpg

59cb57a218f19_Pelikaan(347).thumb.jpg.ff974d8a7b5750cfa0a4f28c2fef2973.jpg

Edited by kees de mol

Unbelievable :huh: I am awestruck by what you have achieved so far.  Magnificent work Kees!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

• 2 weeks later...

most definitely awesome..........even better than the store bought brands!  {models,  that is  :) }

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock: