10th-11th century Byzantine dromon by Louie da fly - FINISHED - 1:50

Steven,

Just catching up -- Such a pleasure following your superb build !! Looks awesome 

Michael

Current buildSovereign of the Seas 1/78 Sergal

Under the table:

Golden Hind - C Mamoli    Oseberg - Billings 720 - Drakkar - Amati

Completed:   

Santa Maria-Mantua --

Vasa-Corel -

Santisima Trinidad cross section OcCre 1/90th

Gallery :    Santa Maria - Vasa

7 hours ago, druxey said:

However, the rowers were not a Broadway chorus line:

Hmm, you're right. Even the best rowers show a certain amount of variation. Look at 3.57 and 11.00 at 

On close inspection, I do see a certain amount of variation; even a suggestion of the occasional crab being caught. 8.19 doesn't count - they're just getting back into their stroke after not rowing on one side, to allow the ship to turn. (I wonder how tightly she could turn if one side backwatered!)

Thanks everybody for all the likes and the encouraging comments.

Steven

I was thinking the same as Druxey and Patrick.   Leave it..  looks great.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Returning for a moment to the discussion of using an anchor chain to weigh down the head of the anchor so it would "bite" better, I'd forgotten I had this:

image.png.cdff71e127abd1dcc78a9b56604c5e7d.png 

It's from the Proceedings of the First Symposium on the Marmaray-Metro (Istanbul) excavations May 2008. Obviously from this the Byzantines were awake to the problem, but had their own solution to it - lead weights inserted into the anchor stock!

Steven 

Very interesting, the weight isn't massive but the 2.2m length would help.

The text claims the rectangular hole is for the rope - that doesn't make sense because of the precise rectangularity of the hole looks to be for a specific fitting such as the anchor flukes part. The small square hole just above the rectangular one, & perpendicular, could then be the cross piece (name?) that makes sure the fluke is pointing down.

5 hours ago, Mark Pearse said:

The text claims the rectangular hole is for the rope - that doesn't make sense because of the precise rectangularity of the hole looks to be for a specific fitting such as the anchor flukes part. The small square hole just above the rectangular one, & perpendicular, could then be the cross piece (name?) that makes sure the fluke is pointing down.

Hmm, dunno. I hadn't thought about it, but certainly a nice rectangular hole like that doesn't seem suited to a round bit of rope.

Next step in construction:

One of the Yenikapi galley finds had slots in the wale to take the ends of the oarbenches.

image.png.06df5c9d1a2ba4f86d73ab46399d0dcd.png

In line with that I'd made similar slots for the upper oarsmen's benches, but as  I'd already discovered the upper wale was too low for them I added a stringer on top of it to take the slots.

While making the oarsmen it was necessary to get the correct relationship between the gunwale (the pivot point of the oars) and the water level (where the oarblades reach to) and the level of the oarsmen's hands; they all have to be in a straight line. Unfortunately, I discovered that even with the new stringer the slots were too low, so either the oarblades would be too low or the oars wouldn't sit on the gunwale or the oarsman's hands would be too high. And anyway as it was the benches would be only about 200mm (10") above the deck - Though an oarbench doesn't need to be as high as a normal chair - and in fact shouldn't be, because it makes the centre of gravity too high - they shouldn't be that low.

So I had to raise the notches so the benches would be higher. I decided to add yet another stringer on top of the first one, smoothed off to look like it's part of it, with new slots to get the benches high enough up for the oarsmen to sit properly. Here's the starboard one under way.

20200222_230154.thumb.jpg.94bf3400a3183b5fd15f5e150ea452c5.jpg

I just carved the slots in the underside of the stringer, as the lower stringer would act as the underside of the slot (the photo below shows the stringer from underneath - the diagonal beams are the oars).

20200224_231042.thumb.jpg.91b22f59d6d3dca4a20cd1e2d11e955f.jpg

Here is the port side stringer with one end glued in place, ready to bend round on top of the lower stringer. And the first two starboard benches in place with an oarsman sitting on one. 'E looks 'armless . . . (I'm still working on the exact configuration of the oarsmen's arms to get everything to line up).

20200224_230718.thumb.jpg.7c0dbfb1f216542a3fab5cc94161d59c.jpg
After I'd added the starboard stringer I found that some of the slots didn't line up with the ones below them, and I was in the process of ungluing the rotten thing and starting again, when I realised the two slots nearest the bow actually did line up, and the ones on the new stringer were actually better located than the lower ones. So I left it. Then I had the problem of what to do with the lower slots. Fill them up so they couldn't be seen? But as it turns out the oarbenches conceal the lower slots so I don't really have to do anything to them at all.

20200224_231258.thumb.jpg.af1463749c47430985d7eb5fe65dffdb.jpg 20200224_231308.thumb.jpg.9ae219507de9efb830b19b73ecc5bcd3.jpg

My next step is to get all the starboard benches in place, then I can draw lines across the breadth of the ship at each bench to make sure the port benches line up with the starboard ones - something I hadn't thought of when I started putting the benches in place last time.

Steven

Back up and running with my new PC (after being hacked :( ) - looks great Steven, nice recovery on the lower bank of oars, and I agree, they look very realistic.

cheers

Pat

If at first you do not suceed, try, and then try again!
Current build: HMCSS Victoria (Scratch)

Next build: HMAS Vampire (3D printed resin, scratch 1:350)

Built:          Battle Station (Scratch) and HM Bark Endeavour 1768 (kit 1:64)

Thanks everybody for all the likes.

I've added all the benches for the starboard side

20200229_103546.thumb.jpg.c05b7019318e59b2a3da5b34541a53b0.jpg 20200229_103708.thumb.jpg.369d773479268633d026c9614aea9137.jpg

and lined up the slots for the benches in the port stringer and glued it on

20200227_213522.thumb.jpg.f2db75d5393bab08395a7f912f7d5c90.jpg

20200229_103442.thumb.jpg.649bb5d01fb6dc491dd48e9e3c38983e.jpg

20200229_103458.thumb.jpg.f4ed4f7a5a0144e6071ff420a587dd96.jpg  

Here are the benches for the port side ready for gluing into place.

20200229_103909.thumb.jpg.0be03fe4833248edfbce7fb6fcd47abf.jpg

And I've scarphed on the "tail" extensions for the stringers. Once the glue is dry I'll start curving them to fit the curve of the tail.

20200229_193423.thumb.jpg.2b1ea6d995106682d244b3ee55e81ae5.jpg 20200229_193450.thumb.jpg.cd5b68633b3f53d8cdf5d06e43c8fa8c.jpg 20200229_193606.thumb.jpg.53e82e7ba5bf6de8faa77742d914472e.jpg

Quiet awhile ago I did a lot of experimenting on how best to make the shields for the pavesade - the row of shields along the side of the ship to protect the upper oarsmen, bearing in mind that real shields were pretty darned thin (usually between 7 and 10mm = about quarter to half an inch), which scales at 1/7 to 1/5 of a millimeter (= about 6 to 10 thousandths of an inch if my maths is correct)

Turns out tissues (as in blowing your nose!) are the best material for this job. I made a mould out of builder's bog, put in layers of tissue glued together with (quite a lot of) PVA (white) glue and squoze (is that a word?) the resultant paper/glue gunge between the male and female halves of the mould. Once dry I had to trim each shield to shape, then sand to get a reasonably smooth surface for painting. I've done about 5 so far - another 45 or so to go.

20200229_194722.thumb.jpg.98e87636959c6400aa4b6bf606974e3f.jpg

I've put a lot of research into the shield "devices" (decoration) used by the Byzantines, and once I've made the rest of the shields I'll be able to paint them with accurate designs, though I'm mixing and matching the colours to a certain extent (within the colour palette I know the Byzantines to have used). 

Steven 

Edited by Louie da fly

'Squoze'? I like the past perfect form! And that is a neat form you've made for shield production as well, Steven.

Reminds me of:

Forth from his den to steal he stole.
His bag of chink he chunk;
And many a wicked smile he smole
And many a wink he wunk.

But we digress!

Edited by druxey

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

9 hours ago, druxey said:

Forth from his den to steal he stole.
His bag of chink he chunk;
And many a wicked smile he smole
And many a wink he wunk.

But we digress!

Never heard this one - I love it! English is so full of irregular words that don't follow the rules you'd expect them to. I'd hate to have to learn it as a second language. 

And if we say "I write, I wrote, I have written" - shouldn't we say "I bite, I bote, I have bitten"?

And we have "one horse, two horses" and "one duck, two ducks" but "goose" becomes "geese" and the plural of "sheep" and "fish" is "sheep" and "fish

But even among native English speakers there are regional variations. It still pulls me up sharply to see someone from the US (I don't know if this applies to Canada as well) write "If I would have thought ahead I would have done a better job" - where I come from it's  "If I had thought ahead I would have done a better job". English is such a mish-mash of other languages it's full of confusion and special cases.

Digression welcome!

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

I've finished the "tail" stringer.

20200302_084256.thumb.jpg.4aa3f915d2e08b6afc084fffd37acc3a.jpg 20200302_084402.thumb.jpg.b63ecfb45f3a7bd6d493c431e62f37af.jpg 

20200304_184635.thumb.jpg.d8d478dda7b9c5a5b6cc40285d8dceea.jpg

And started on the oarbenches on the port side (note the cunning weight I'm using to hold them down).

20200303_192753.thumb.jpg.c2a85e33a7152ae9f00af0e9e35b347c.jpg 20200303_192812.thumb.jpg.efc794a3a9a08cac68a8158066a2bed0.jpg

Just a little outline of how I make the shields from facial tissue.

I first smear the inside of the mould with something greasy (I've been using butter - it's cheap and easily available) so the paper doesn't get stuck  to the mould.

I use a square piece cut from the tissue a little larger than the shield so it overlaps the mould, then put in a blob of PVA glue, then another square of tissue, another blob of PVA, until there are four layers in there (note each tissue is usually "4-ply" i.e. 4 layers of very thin paper, so I end up with probably 16 layers in all). One final blob of PVA, then I push it all down with a fingertip and smooth it around the inside of the mould. The more glue I have on my finger the less likely the paper is to follow my fingertip when I remove it.

20200302_084441.thumb.jpg.3e0da404fa1a096015e9064eda1e60a6.jpg 20200303_180754.thumb.jpg.45d2c3fc3a2a5a08031c5fe6fc2eb553.jpg

Leave it for several hours till the glue is almost set, the push down again with a fingertip, pushing the paper/glue matrix into all the corners of the mould so it takes up as much detail as possible. 

Leave to dry and then lift it carefully from the mould, then cut around the outside to get rid of the excess. Smear another blob of PVA onto the face of the completed shield - I find this improves the surface and gets rid of some of the smaller faults. Sand smooth with fine paper. 

20200303_180932.thumb.jpg.ee14a91f8b8083e8c10ffb04cfb791a3.jpg 20200303_180955.thumb.jpg.c74e3ae947cbbccc74c6a76647c43fcf.jpg 20200303_181028.thumb.jpg.58a854d6bebc4a6485370242c379fffe.jpg 20200303_181120.thumb.jpg.a8bba7d5b0ee45dffddc38bc83cfcfb8.jpg

Repeat 49 times.

I use matt enamel paint (Revell or Humbrol) - I find it gives better results than acrylic - and a very fine watercolour brush.

Steven 

Edited by Louie da fly

A really good approach. 👍

Your build log ist full of smart ideas like this.

Greetings, Götz

Current build: Hanseatic ship 1:50   https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/16089-hanseatic-ship-c-1500-by-goetzi73-150-first-scratch-build/

Completed builds: Nina (Amati), HM Cutter Sherbourne (Caldercraft). Golden Hind (Mamoli)

Next on List: Fifie 1:32 (Amati Victory Models)

Doing even gooder now, Steven! A neat result with your papier mache technique. ( I apologise to French speakers, but can't seem to conjure up the appropriate accents.)

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Thanks for the likes and the comments.

Mark, I started out with a "blank" (you know the original thing the mould is cast from -don't know the technical term) made of plasticiene (modeller's clay to those of you who led sheltered lives), then cast it in a little box filled with builder's bog (car filler) - brand name Plasti-bond. When it had set I coated the inside with something greasy so it wouldn't stick and cast the "male" part into it with more of the same stuff. I found you have to be careful to make sure you don't get little bubbles in the mould - though it can be repaired.

Now I'm making the shields I find that smoothing with a finger is better than using the male half - it's more reliable and gets the detail better. 

I've always had a bit of a thing about the thickness of shields in model ships, having (in a previous life as a mediaeval re-enactor, prior to ship modelling) used a shield myself. Too thick and they get very heavy after a while - not a good thing when you're "fighting for your life". So I spent a lot of time and research trying to figure out how to make them really thin for the model. I tried wood, tinfoil pushed into the mould with a resin backing etc etc. The tissue/PVA technique seems to work best.

Steven

More kudos on the thwarts, stinger and shield production line Steven.  look forward to seeing this beauty again real soon.

cheers

Pat

Do you remove the butter somehow?  I'd hate to hear that it went ransid and drew bugs to it.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mark, I don't think there's likely to be a problem. The film of butter is very thin (has to be to get accurate detail), then after removing the shield from the mould I smear PVA over the face of the shield (i.e. the only surface that is in contact with the butter) which should seal it in pretty much, then I paint over the whole outside face with enamel paint. If bugs can get through THAT, they're a better man than I, Gunga Din.

Steven

Yes, the bugs would be better than any of us.  I guess I just panicked a bit as I'd hate to see the great work you're doing get eaten.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

23 hours ago, druxey said:

A neat result with your papier mache technique. ( I apologise to French speakers, but can't seem to conjure up the appropriate accents.)

I've always had trouble with this myself, until I had the epiphany that I could go to google translate, type in the word in the English section, and the French translation would supply the accents. Then copy and paste into the text of my MSW post (i.e papier maché) . It even works with the Greek alphabet! (I haven't tried it with Chinese).

Steven

Chinese?  Google Translate will do it.   它將使用中文。("It will work".):rolleyes:

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Here are the shields at the current state of production. The two on the right-hand end were painted from memory and though they're similar to shield decoration common in Byzantium, they aren't based on any particular shield in the contemporary pictures. The rest in the top line are copied from shields in contemporary iconography. The two on the bottom line aren't quite finished yet - one shield formed and cut to shape, the other still in the mould.

20200307_111440.thumb.jpg.34b10db5c3d4ce26124c1e7232de648c.jpg

And here are the originals:

294157434_Byzantine-Octateuch-Vat_Gr_746-357vdetail1.JPG.4bbc6c48e33190370147b3d729d56d92.JPG 1828676174_Byzantine-Octateuch-Vat_Gr_746-480vdetail4.JPG.4ce2f2588cfe4fba13f5a5a5da65e9ea.JPG 2047700326_Byzantine-Octateuch-Vat_Gr_746-455r-rightdetail.JPG.f67ed6bab18f33022df986787110219c.JPG 1408823006_Skylitzesf.26vdetail1.jpg.14b5bd96aab6e78ac9cc180dddaba4c9.jpg image.png.4a5ef47c9ed3ae70dff65367767bc227.png  Byzantine-Menologion_of_Basil-Vat_gr_1613-p215-dt.jpg.a6be9c9e656cb0ed63a334bf03704167.jpg

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly

beautifully made shields. 

Congrats!

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Steven had his model on display at the Geelong Wooden Boat Festival held this past weekend; looks even better to the naked eye.  He earned some very well deserved praise and kudos for his efforts from the public.

cheers

Pat

Thanks for the comment, Pat, and thanks to you and Alan of the Ship Modelling Society of Victoria for the opportunity to show the dromon off to the public. It's all very well to be pretty sure you're building a good model, but let's face it, I think we're all closet show-offs, and admiration for your 'baby' is never unwelcome. 

Steven

Edited by Louie da fly