Louie da fly

10th-11th century Byzantine dromon by Louie da fly - 1:50

And it's done as a "round"  - so one group starts singing "Row, row, row your boat" and when they begin the second line the next group start with "Row, row, row your boat", and then the third group come in, followed by the fourth. Sounds more complicated than it is in practice. Known in "proper" music as a fugue.:P

Another 4 oarsmen complete and another 4 started, which brings us to just past halfway.

20200722_115155.thumb.jpg.95ca329ba008fc72a413a43ac8b91670.jpg   

20200722_115211.thumb.jpg.6b8b7751058a9a538ab34a18dce32c55.jpg 

I've found that getting to halfway has a positive effect on morale. From there on there are more items complete than there are left to do, and with every new item complete the balance shifts further and further that way. So rather than being overwhelmed by how many are left to do, it becomes "only so many left". I found this with making the oarsmen, the oars,and various other things where there were a lot of identical items to do.

Also, when I mix the paint for the tunics (and the flesh colours as well), inevitably I mix far more than I need for just one figure. But as I'm doing four at a time, each one at the extreme end of the row it's in, I can paint the tunics all the same colour without it looking obvious.

Its turning out wonderful! Its becoming colourful... it remains to make it cinemascope Steven....

Wonderful, its getting every day nicer. So... row your boat my friend.

Christos 

Well, it wasn't obvious - until you pointed it out, Steven!  Your observations about 'halfway through' and now going downhill are right on. The ensemble effect of thr mass of rowers now looks great.

Good to hear you are seeing the light.

The rower's hairdresser isn't very creative ... ;)

Oops! Made a mistake. The oars are notionally kept in place by a rope wrapped around the oar and the thole, but in fact are glued in place and held with a little brass pin next to the thole, glued into the gunwale and a hole in the oar:

20200728_170901.thumb.jpg.60389ba1d5fd1785f077174ae4dd2990.jpg  20200728_170933.thumb.jpg.cf520bb49f394ea68a15804e101ce7e2.jpg    

The tall one on the right is the thole.

Which is all very well, except when I put the hole in the oar over the thole. :default_wallbash:

Doesn't sound like much of a mistake, but it moves the oar about a millimetre and a half (about two to three inches at full scale) towards the oarsman, which affects the length of his arms (they're already as short as I can in conscience make them).

So I had to remove two of the most recent batch of oars (which meant the wooden tholes broke off, of course), make new tholes and re-drill the holes for them and put the new ones in place. And then put the oars back, but this time in the correct position. The glue is a bit messy, but that is mostly invisible when it's dry and covered with the rope around the thole, and it adds to the firmness of the joint.

20200728_171730.thumb.jpg.2e8507c3814bbfa1ee0e8b9f97ca59d7.jpg

Oh well, relatively easy to fix, and I'm glad I spotted it now rather than later :blush:  . 

Did you have to do much thole-thearching before correcting things? (Sorry, Steven, but I can never resist!) Well done for revising them. 

You could have carved some smaller rowers. Now they are all from the same size (more or less ... less is more)

Nice fix Steven, you would have regretted not doing them. In the vein of Druxey's comments - a thight for thore eyes!

cheers

Pat

14 hours ago, druxey said:

Did you have to do much thole-thearching before correcting things?

Aha! As Terry Pratchett would say "A pune, or play on words". (And a particularly dreadful one - I love it!)

16 hours ago, Matrim said:

it would have driven you mad if you had left it without correcting though

I'm afraid so. I'm just glad I noticed it when I did.

Thanks everyone for all the likes - I haven't acknowledged them for awhile.

16 hours ago, druxey said:

Did you have to do much thole-thearching before correcting things? (Sorry, Steven, but I can never resist!) Well done for revising them. 

facepalm_48.jpg.6c44cef11e3aede8d9776ba6ef7a2ef2.jpg