Gaff-Rigged Sloop by DocBlake - 1/4 Scale (3" = 1')

A few years ago, I built a 19', shoal draft, gaff-rigged sloop for my wife and I to sail.  We've enjoyed "Molly" immensely.  I decided to build a large model of her (1/4 scale, not 1/4" scale!) to display in a large dormer window in our house that faces the street.  Construction is similar to how the real boat was built.  I started with the keel, then the cabin floor was added.  Bulkheads were placed and the deck installed.  The cabin trunk was next, followed by rafters and the cabin top.  The project has been sitting, untouched for about 2 years, but I decided to get her completed.  Here are some photos of the model, and my wife and I sailing the original boat.

Dave

post-3900-0-05815000-1429996471_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-20788400-1429996504_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-33414600-1429996530_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-26936900-1429996560_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-87759400-1429996588_thumb.jpg

post-3900-0-46679300-1429996662_thumb.jpg

Very Nice Dave, Oh I do like these large models of small boats.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Hi Dave

What a beauty! What makes this build even more special is the personal connection that the boat has for you and your wife. The fact that she's a real looker (Molly) is even better.

I also especially love cut away models and yours is no exception.

Well done and pls keep the updates coming!

Cheers

Patrick

• 7 years later...

We've done some remodeling in our home, and we have a space to fill.  There is a large, second floor dormer alcove overlooking the entry hall with nothing in it!  I decided to finally finish the gaff-rigged sloop and display it up there!  The first addition was adding the rubbing rails (like wales) made of mahogany.  The photos show some of the parts which are already completed, sitting in place (not yet glued).  The wood is mahogany and birch plywood.  The hull will be flag blue and the topsides will be white.  More to come!

IMG_1005.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.JPG

8.JPG

9.JPG

10.JPG

Edited by DocBlake

Thanks John!
The companionway door hatch on our boat has a functional louver (British spelling = louvre) panel made of mahogany. It allows nice ventilation of the cabin when the forward hatch is open. I wanted to duplicate it, but a functioning louver was just too fussy to attempt, so I simulated it! I cut some slats at an angle and glued them to some 1/32" plywood, then framed the "louver" in mahogany. The final photo is the finished product.

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.JPG

Edited by DocBlake

• 4 weeks later...

Nice looking louver and I do like the large scale.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

• 5 months later...

• 2 weeks later...

I wiped a couple coats of poly on all the mahogany parts and painted the hull below the rub rail.   The color is "Marine Blue", just a bit lighter in color than the "Flag Blue" Interlux Brightside Polyurethane paint I used on the real boat.

The short mahogany "spacers" along the outboard port side of the cockpit are stanchions for toerails on both sides of the boat.  They are just sitting in place, not glued yet.

IMG_2788.JPG

IMG_2793.JPG

IMG_0010.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

IMG_0007.jpg

IMG_0008.jpg