Waister Posted April 27, 2015 Share #1 Posted April 27, 2015 Hello, my first build and build log..! After looking at lots of logs on here, I have learned loads and picked up some great tips and ideas of how I'm going to build the Sherbourne, and what I would like her to look like when complete on the mantlepiece. I've been building for eight weeks on and off, before deciding to create a log, so there's quite a bit to show before we get to where I'm at now. What I've realized is I like the logs that show the actual techniques of what is built, stage by stage... what I didn't do was exactly that, no action shots. So from now on that's what I'm going to do..!! Knife, file, or sandpaper in action, as well as the result, I promise! Suggestions are more than welcome. John Although the instructions say to attach the sternpost at the beginning, I removed it later to make it easier to plank. Lesson learned was, don't always follow the kit instruction The fit of the Caldercraft kit parts was good, only one bulkhead was adjusted before gluing, and leaving for 24ths to cure. Very little adjustment was needed with my warding file to make the false deck fit. Curves achieved fore and aft, as well as from port to starboard. Bulwark's fitted ok after steaming over the kettle spout and clamping. The last bulkhead was strengthened with some spare ply, decided not to use balsa as in the next pick of the bow. Also decided to attempt to create a bearding line, which at this stage with the stern post in place, was a mistake, I ended up damaging it. - Newbie for you....... I found planking quite straight forward, and experimented with different widths of planks, to see what would work and what wouldn't. Garboard plank was steamed over the kettle and pinned, as it twists in two directions, I left this to dry thoroughly before gluing. Bending the plank with a hairdryer really works, but you need to attach it almost straight away, as the longer I left it the more of its bend it lost. I used a mixture of wood glue and CA and experimented to see what would work for me, and what I was happiest with. I ended up using wood glue all along the edge of the plank I was attaching, then when happy it was where i wanted it, spotted CA where it met the frame. Nearly there, What was i worried about....!! Fun to build, AND the Admiral gave me the time to build it..!! Till the Next catchup John Stockholm tar, VonHoldinghausen, Dimitris71 and 7 others 10 Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.