pete48

VOLVO 65 FARR YACHT DESIGN By Pete48 Scale : 1/4" = 1' - 0" Completed

I started the day ( very early ) by cutting the Frames for the Cockpit Floor. ( there is a gradual slope from the Bow to the Transom ) I then cut the Frames, and installed the Cockpit Floor. I then turned my attention to getting the camber set for the Deck. Next I installed the Deck starting at the Bow and working my way back toward the Transom. I then added the scarf to the sides of the Deck ( both Starboard and Port ) Next I made sure that the Bowsprit slot would work accordingly and then installed the bow section of the Deck. I then installed the Cockpit sides up to where the Cabin Bulkhead starts . I then faired the Deck in with the Hull. Then did the same with the Cockpit. Next will be to lay out the Cabin . Here are the results

post-7445-0-77430500-1431472976_thumb.jpg

post-7445-0-96130800-1431472988_thumb.jpg

post-7445-0-40184000-1431473003_thumb.jpg

I am glad to come across your new build Pete.  It is refreshing to see a modern racing ship every now and then.  Your hull looks like a sleek thoroughbred ready to run a couple of laps.  Okay if I joint the rest in looking in on your build I should learn plenty from it.

David B

Thanks David B. , I think it would be great to see more people building Modern Sail Boats. She is definitely sleek and built for speed , and you are more than welcome to join in on the fun.

Thanks Cap'n'Bob, I noticed that as well ( 30's speedboat) and they are fast boats

Best Regards,

Pete 

post-7445-0-93227400-1431539340_thumb.jpg

I will start by saying this is the most difficult Boat I have ever built. It took 3 days to get the Cabin figured out ( lots of angles and curves all converging on one spot ) it worked out and will be a lot easier on the next one. ( there will be a next one probably a free sail version maybe Team Brunel graphics I am not sure yet ) the deck and cabin have been painted a Flat White ,and more sanding will be required . I made the cradle, she almost ready for the Keel and Rudders. Here are the results

post-7445-0-32342100-1431814959_thumb.jpg

post-7445-0-40297300-1431814978_thumb.jpg

post-7445-0-12450400-1431814997_thumb.jpg

Nice work on the hull and cabin, Pete!

You know, after looking at the last two photos... if you put four wheels on the hull and painted it jet black, I'm sure it'd be like something out of a Hollywood movie! Batman's car, perhaps?

What do you think?

Cheers

Patrick

Thanks Patrick, I can see what you are talking about , it looks like it could be in a Marvel Comics movie . esp with wheels 

Thanks Michael, I am pleased with how she is turning out , I think she is very sleek 

Best Regards,

Pete

Today, I decided to get back to work on the Volvo 65, I started by sanding the Deck up to 600 grit ( starting with 220 ) then prepped her for another coat of paint. I then turned my attention to making the bowsprit . I then sprayed a coat of flat white . once dried I checked the bowsprit for a good fit . Next will be to get started on the Hull graphics. Here are the results

post-7445-0-74362400-1432855127_thumb.jpg

post-7445-0-75511900-1432855151_thumb.jpg

post-7445-0-19547800-1432855171_thumb.jpg

post-7445-0-51618600-1432855189_thumb.jpg

Hi Pete

Even standing still, the hull looks fast! All that's missing is the sails and a strong breeze and she's off.

Nice work.

Cheers

Patrick

Thanks Patrick, We are almost there , I bet she sails great. I am thinking I have to do a free sail version just to see what she can do

Best Regards,

Pete

Thank you Christian, If I am not mistaken Herreshoff designed more America's cup winners than any other designer, and some of the most beautiful pleasure Boats that I have ever seen 

Best Regards,

Pete

I had not worked on this one for a while, so I thought I would set up to do the Hull graphics, and realized that I had some small gaps primarily where the Hull and Deck come together and mostly where the planks converge at the Transom. So I made up some filler, using sawdust and titebond 3, I then applied it on the gaps, Sandedup to 600 grit (once dried) and applied another coat of Flat white , Now I can set up for the Hull graphics . Here are the results

post-7445-0-19209400-1433893177_thumb.jpg

post-7445-0-32755000-1433893217_thumb.jpg

post-7445-0-05105700-1433893241_thumb.jpg

Thanks David B., I have been taking my time with this one, and I have been happy with how she is turning out

Best Regards,

Pete

Thank you Gibbs, This has been a challenging build ( I always like a good challenge ) pull up a chair there is always room 

Thank you Cap'n'Bob, Sharp edges and clean lines are key to this build , I am happy with how she is turning out . 

Best Regards,

Pete

Thank you Marc, I think these Volvo 65's are amazing. an incredible design ( very sleek and fast) and with the completion of the Alerion, I can now focus on getting this Volvo Finished

Best Regards,

Pete

Today, I started by getting the Hull prepped for the graphics, The first step was to lay out the angles ,to establish a starting point. I then took masking tape cut the appropriate angles and widths ( to match what is shown on the plans ) I then applied the strips to the Hull , I then masked off the deck and shot 2 coats of flat black . And after waiting 2 hours I unmasked the Hull to reveal the desired graphics. The next step will be to apply the logo's to the hull, and to make the Keel and rudder blades . Here are the results

post-7445-0-83209700-1434848386_thumb.jpg

post-7445-0-23933500-1434848424_thumb.jpg

post-7445-0-07262000-1434848453_thumb.jpg

post-7445-0-70921400-1434848562_thumb.jpg

Thank you Mark, I am pleased with how the graphics turned out , there was a lot of masking ( very time consuming ) 

Thank you Patrick , Crisp clean lines are key to this build , so far so good

Thank you Cap'n'Bob, She looks fast just sitting in her cradle , I was surprised at what a difference the graphics made 

Thank you Jay, I appreciate it . She's coming along rather nicely

Best Regards,

Pete