Possible new technique for making sails.

rckdr

While daydreaming some time ago I thought of a possible technique for making sails.  One of the most archival fibers around is linen, but it is difficult to find linen cloth in a fine tight weave.  A company called Light Impressions makes an acid free finely woven linen tape with a water soluble adhesive backing.  The link is:  http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.com/acid-free-linen-tape-white-1-x-20yds/archival-adhesive-tapes/ .

I think it might be possible to cut the tape into strips to match the panels on the real sail and then glue the panels together by the edges using the adhesive backing.  The panels could then be stitched together and the bolt ropes and other details added.  Finally the sail would be soaked in water to remove the adhesive backing, the panels now being held together by the stitching.

I am not planning on building any models with sails in the near future but perhaps someone who is could try this technique and let all of us know if it works.

Try this:  http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.com/acid-free-linen-tape-white-1-x-20yds/archival-adhesive-tapes/

Full URL's never show fully on the page unless you hover over it with your mouse.  The full URL usually shows at the bottom of your browser.

You're link didn't work because of additional characters at the end.. probably  space and period. 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Not sure, why everyone wants stitched sails. The stitching and the thread used are grossly out of scale unless you work in say 1:24 or bigger.

However, glueing the panels together is an option. Not sure the glue on the tape would be strong enough for the narrow seams in the sails. It is meant for full-surface re-enforcement in picture-mounting and book-binding.

Edited by wefalck

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Guest Tim I.

I checked out the link. It sounds like a neat idea for making sails. Ironically, the store not too far away from where I live. I will check them out! 

Thank you!

- Tim

As a photographer I have dealt with Light Impressions many times; their products are excellent and their service is also.

Actually, as the sail would be put together from its panels etc. you don't need any pencil lines and the likes. The seams would show up as on the prototype by the shadow of the edge of the panel or doubling.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

It is right, the stiches on the seams themselves usually are not visible, due to the almost same color as the cloth. What one sees is the different transparency because of the doubling of the material in these area.

Looking forward for the reports on this material !

Cheers, Daniel

Edited by dafi

good idea Tadeusz,

its the same technique as printing flags....,

Thanks for sharing

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

There is a new technique for making sails described in the revised TFFM, Volume IV. (The relevant information is also available as a separate booklet form SeaWatch Books.) The results can be seen on the 'workshops' page of Admiralty Models. You can see for yourself how this looks.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

If we can find out who makes the tape?... Maybe its possable to get the material in sheets without glue.

Also, gluing strips will make your sails stiff n awkward when setup.

Besides archival photo tape glue wont last long before it lets go, i use this tape to hinge mount my photos. I have to retape them every few years.

My original idea was to stitch the seams after gluing and then soak in water to remove the glue completely. The glue is only temporary. Also, I don't think Admiralty Models uses linen in their technique. I believe that linen is the most archival fiber available to us including synthetics.

Edited by rckdr