Syren by JesseLee - FINISHED - Model Shipways - scale: 1:64

Great job JesseLee! That tie-down hook surely is tiny, well done. Like the pics of your tiller rigging, it shows everything clearly.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

• 3 weeks later...

When fitting the stern davits they didn't fit as good as they should. found that I needed to add a strip under them made them sit at the right height much better. I didn't feel the pegs beneath the kit supplied cleats were deep enough to hold well when rigging is pulling on them so I snipped them off, drilled them out and glued wire pins in that will sit deeper and grab the wood better. Stern davits and cleats on and painted.

Jesse

DSCN2954.JPG

DSCN2962.JPG

DSCN2963.JPG

DSCN2965.JPG

DSCN2970.JPG

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Shaped and added timberheads. Used a strip of paper to space them out evenly.

Jesse

DSCN2966.JPG

DSCN2967.JPG

DSCN2968.JPG

DSCN2969.JPG

DSCN2971.JPG

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Very nice work Jesse. I enjoy seeing the detail you are putting into your Syren. Where did you find the information on tying down the binnacle?

Current Build - U.S. Syren

2nd Build - HMS Bounty Launch

When organizing your thoughts, never use the Dewey Decimal system.

Hello Richard, from your post I discovered your Syren and will be following it. I saw someone else tie the binnacle on their build log. I checked it out doing Google searches and found it was commonly done so I added it to mine for some extra detail.

Jesse

very nice Knight heads Jesse :)    I see the cut out you did at the stem.......bow spirit coming soon!   your moving right along.......glad to see your feeling better :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Just when I started to get some momentum going my father-in-law passed away last night. Everything will be on hold for a little while.

Jesse

So sorry to hear that news Jesse. Sending thoughts of strength your way so you can be the rock your family can lean on. 

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

sorry to hear Jesse.....condolences to you and your family :( 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

So sorry hearing about the sad tidings. Our condolences and prayers to you and the family.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

My condolences, Jesse.  It's tough to lose someone like that especially when you've been ill also.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

• 2 weeks later...

Many things have kept me from my building. Fighting my illness then my father-in-laws passed away. We got invited to the coast for a few days and jumped at the chance. I really wanted to visit the Maritime Museum while there but others weren't as interested as I was and it didn't happen. A little disappointed. We got back and we had a major problem with the air conditioning for the 4th time this year. Hopefully everything will get somewhat back to normal now. 

I have been squeezing in a few min. here and there over a while on the build waiting for things to allow me to start posting again. Trying to remember to take pictures but half the time forgetting to for part of the steps. Jumping around a bit from the order of the instructions.

Constructing the longboat. Glued the pre-cut lifts together per instructions (forgot to take pics of some of the steps. Shaping these boats just right has always been a problem for me. i made templates for the shape changes from the instruction sheets. to guide me. Sanding it down to the proper thinness didn't work out well. I took off too much material in the front and didn't get the shape right in the rudder area. Didn't want to start all over so I built up and puttied areas too thin, did some other re-shaping and patch up work. This didn't look very well and even though the lower areas would be painted on the outside it wouldn't have that planked look so I re-planked it inside and out to hide all the flaws. Using scrap pieces I used darker strips where it will be hidden by the white paint later.

Jesse

DSCN2860.JPG

DSCN2861.JPG

DSCN2883.JPG

DSCN2884.JPG

DSCN2885.JPG

DSCN2886.JPG

Hi Jesse -

Nicely done, so far.  The frames, floor boards, thwarts, and oarlocks etc, will really make the ship's boat stunning.  I do have a recommendation for you.  The instructions on page 74 tell you "With these details completed the boat can be glued on top of the gallows bits".  I waited until after I had completed the running rigging to do this, and was glad that I did.  I believe the boat on the gallows bits would really get in the way and make it more difficult to belay many of the lines during rigging.  But as always, there is more than one "right way" to build a model ship. 

I'm glad to see you back in the shipyard.

<<Gary>>

current build: SYREN

nearly done:  Fair American, Benjamin W. Latham

future builds:  Emma C. Berry

completed builds:  Rattlesnake, Newsboy, Sultana