Syren by JesseLee - FINISHED - Model Shipways - scale: 1:64

Great advances since last I saw her! Great work, Jesse!

Thank you CDW, Dave and Vivian.  Good to hear from you again Vivian

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

she looks awesome.......added quite a few lines since I last saw her too!!!  well done !  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Thank you!

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Beautifully done JesseLee!

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thanks Piet! 

There is an awful lot of fine dust and sawdust all over the whole thing. Doing some rigging yesterday and noticed how much of it is on deck and around the guns and their tackle. It has caught the sawdust from other mini projects here and there because this is the on;y spot in the house for anything I work on. Going have to get some of those cans of dusting spray or something.

55 minutes ago, JesseLee said:

There is an awful lot of fine dust and sawdust all over the whole thing. Doing some rigging yesterday and noticed how much of it is on deck and around the guns and their tackle. 

Do you have a small compressor and airbrush? If so, that should blow the dust off. if not, like you said, the aerosol cans used for dusting computer components will work. Just be careful not to blow away and lose small components that may not be securely glued down.

Jesse, it seems to me that I have come across a MSW log that showed a light weight dust cover.  It was just a light weight wood frame with a clear plastic film stretched over it.  It was easily removable, so whenever he was done with his ship for the day, he just put the cover over it.  Of course, the aerosol cans would be simpler and cheaper, so to each his own I guess.  If I can recall where I saw it I'll let you know so you can decide if it's something that would interest you. 

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

Jesse,

I've used this child's balloon blow-up hand pump for years to dust my models. You can pump it strong or gentle with no trouble. I bought it years ago to blow up my kids balloons.

air pump 002.JPG

air pump 001.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Got the royal yards on. Will add some pics soon. Noticed for the 3rd or 4th time I see I still don't have enough blocks and .008 running rigging. Order on the way from Syren Ship Model Co. Everything on hold till it gets here.

Jesse

that happens quite a lot in kits,  especially if your adding extra lines that the instructions and diagrams don't show.   cripe.....one kit I have doesn't show double blocks,  but I know some were used......so I'm adding them in.  of course,  that will also add to the amount of single blocks as well ;)   it's madness I tell you!!!!!.....shear madness!   so glad to hear your still making progress.......I hope you are well :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Wonderful work and attention to detail...

Beautiful model.

Rob(dust-er off)

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Ahh, line in from Chuck. Progress can continue.

Here are the latest pictures. It is odd how the camera shows things distorted like the masts looking out of line. 

Jesse

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

d.jpg

e.jpg

f.jpg

g.jpg

Even though I completed The Syren in Feb. love to watch yours come back to life!

Current:         Emma C. Berry Lobster Smack-Model Shipways-1:32-1866

Back on the shelf:    USS Essex- MS- "Old Yellow Box" Solid Hull  Wall Hanger (Half Hull)                                                                                                                                                                                              

Completed:    18th Century Armed Longboat-MS 1/24

USN Picket Boat-MS 1864 1/24                                  

US Brig Syren by Sea Hoss- Model Shipways-1803

18th Century Carronade/Ship Section

Mayflower-Pilgrims Pride by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways-1620

18th Century Long Boat by Sea Hoss-Model Shipways

USS Constitution by Sea Hoss-Revel-Plastic

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I was ready for the Spritsail Yard but after examining the plans and my model I see I missed a few lines like the Fore Royal Braces.  Did this, added a few more rope coils and did some more dusting. Found that a very soft bristle flat modelers paintbrush works well at dusting the lines, yards and tight places on the deck.  

Here are some pics. Having a hard time showing all this rigging. The black background shows the running rigging well. Sorry for all the clutter, have plans to move my work area to another room for more space but that wont happen till long after this build.

Jesse

rig5.jpg

rig4.jpg

rig3.jpg

rig2.jpg

rig1.jpg

I don't mind the clutter,  makes your workspace more alive. Nice rigging though.

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Thanks everyone! I'm trying post another update but my outdated phone is having a lot of trouble sending pictures. I'll keep trying.

Jesse

fantastic rigging!..........your spiders are very well trained  ;)    a lot of wow factor there!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Thanks guys. 

Well, it seems all I needed to do was complain about the phone and then it starts working.  Added the Spritsail. Rigged the Jib Guys, Spritsail Lifts and Spritsail Braces.  

spr1.jpg

spr2.jpg

spr3.jpg

spr4.jpg

spr5.jpg

Got out the anchors supplied with the kit. They are very pitted, not the same thickness and have spots of missing metal, and this is after some burnishing to see if it was possible to use them. There is no way O can use these.

anc1.jpg

anc2.jpg

anc3.jpg

anc4.jpg

Beautiful work JesseLee, awesome.

Could try some automotive body filler on the anchors Jesse or even an epoxy cement.

Cheers, Piet.

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)