Syren by JesseLee - FINISHED - Model Shipways - scale: 1:64

Just started following, Jesse!  Beautiful work.  Will be attempting this build in the near future and you are setting the bar very high indeed! 

----------------------------------------------------

“Work like a Captain....Play like a Pirate!” — Every Ship Modeler...everywhere.

• 1 month later...

Lovely stuff Jesse, rigging looks very neat and you did a great job with the line you used.  Glad I didn't miss the end which seems to be approaching soon 🙂

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Yes, life is getting in the way a lot recently, keeping me from the bench. I am working on the anchors now. Just got a new phone that takes much better pictures, just have to learn how to use it. My brain is not up to speed with all this new technology and the brain damage from the Lyme doesn't help either. Hope to get some pictures up soon.

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

• 1 month later...

It's been a while, been pretty sick. 

Well, I worked on those anchors. Filled in the holes and gaps with CA glue and filings from the thicker anchor. Primed them for painting. Made the iron rings and served them. Painted them with flat black enamel. I just couldn't use the metal stocks. Made them out of wood.. Made the iron bands from the black pinstripe tape provided in the kit.  They seemed to turn out pretty good. Shaping the bouys now. Will make them out of wood.

Jesse 

A1.jpg

A2.jpg

A3.jpg

A4.jpg

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

sorry to hear you've been down with your illness..........glad your feeling better!   the anchors look great! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Jesse Lee,

Been out of touch and missed some postings. Your build is par excellence keep on going on. Hope the feel good continues and you continue to recover.

Actually working on your build is the best medicine. In addition to a couple of these:cheers::cheers:

John

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Working on the bouy, it's rigging and the anchor rigging and tackle. I snipped pieces off a broken jewlers saw blade to simulate the iron strop. on the block. The instructions say this rigging is made to look more weathered from being in and out of the water so much. I tried several colors of paint wash but what worked the best was just acrylic black very watered down. Wet the line with this and run it through my pinched finger and thumb.  I had a hard time doing the bouy harness but got through it.  Rigged up the anchor.  Did the tackle and rope coils. The rigging of the bouy was not clearly shown in the instruction book pictures so I looked up what I could in what books I have and kind of guessed on how the rope coils were toed to the shrouds.  This is just on the Starboard side. Still have to do this on the Port.

Jesse

B3.jpg

B2.jpg

B4.jpg

B5.jpg

B6.jpg

B7.jpg

superbly done!   job well done!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Looking good JesseLee, lovely work as usual.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Got the Port side Bouy and Anchor rigging done.

Jesse

Bouy2.jpg

Bouy3.jpg

Bouy4.jpg

huge second on that!!!   you gotta be close to the finish line by now! ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

WOW JesseLee, that's some very fine craftsmanship. 

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

• 2 weeks later...

JesseLee, I've been inactive for quite a while, but I have been occasionally checking in on your work here - it is exquisite. Beautiful work and a fantastic build log! 

"They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters;

These see the works of the Lord, and his wonders in the deep."

- Psalm 107:23-24 (KJV)

Looking very nice Jesse!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

• 1 month later...

I know it's been a while since I posted anything. Just need to rig the two flags and I am done. A bunch of things have been going on in real life that is keeping me from the work bench. Been trying to find out the proper way to rig the flags. I dont want to just glue or tie the flag to the rope. Been pondering on whether to build a lifeboat to hand from the back davits like one of our other Syren builders did. Every time I look at it it looks like something is missing to me. I really hope everything lets up around here and lets me get back to the bench soon!

Jesse

Look forward to the completed model images. Impressive work Jesse! :dancetl6:

Current build project: 

CSS Alabama 1/96

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/20148-css-alabama-by-jonathan11-revell-196-scale-kit-bash-90-historical-accuracy/

Finished build projects 2018:

H.L Hunley 1/24

CSS Arkansas 1/96

• 1 month later...

Life around here has done everything possible to keep me from this build. All I have left is the two flags. I really wanted to make a lifeboat to hang from the back davits but it doesn't look like that will happen anytime in the near future. I made a small cleat by flattening the end of a metal pin. I then filed it down to a very tiny size filing a very sharp point to stick in the staff. Forgot to take pics of this process. Made a very tiny hole with a micro twist drill and pinned it into the bottom of the staff on the bowsprit cap. Dipped the sharp point of the cleat in CA glue before pinning it in. I'm trying to rig up a block and cleat rig for this instead of just tying the (Jack?) flag to the staff. Folded and glued the flags sides together. Getting some folds set in them, I know the shaping will need changing a bit before they are done.

Jesse

staff.jpg

flags.jpg

Looking good Jesse.  The finish line is in sight.  You have built a highly detailed model of the Syren that will be an inspiration for other Syren ship modelers.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

• 2 weeks later...

Having a problem with the blue color coming off in places where I am trying to fold them.. They are worse than the picture shows. I tried touching up with highlighters and markers but nothing matches the color at all. The more I mess with them the worse it gets. I guess I am going to have to replace them somehow. Any suggestions?

Jesse

flag colors.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Well I found replacement flags. They will be cloth instead of paper. Thought I'd be able to one from lots of places for a not much money but only found a few places and they were all over seas. With shipping these 2 little flags cost about as much as a full size 3x5 flag! Coming in from England so I'm just waiting..........

If you have a color printer you can print high quality paper flags that look okay and you can make the ripple effect  you might want to have.