Syren by JesseLee - FINISHED - Model Shipways - scale: 1:64

Jesselee, you might want to check out Chuck's method of making flags from tissue paper, I believe he explains it in his log on the Cheerful but if you do a search you will find that many have used that method, by the way, followed you build from the beginning great job and thanks for all the tips along the way

Best,

Ed

• 3 weeks later...

Got my replacement flags in. They are printed cloth so I have to put glue around the edges so when it is cut out it wont fray. 

Inspected my ship because months have passed since I really got to spend time on it most every day. I see that it is coated with dust and needs a very thorough cleaning. Also saw a place below the bowsprit that I missed rigging.

Jesse

replacement flags.jpg

staff.jpg

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Oops, wrong photo there...

miss rig.jpg

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

always a pleasure to see an update on your fine ship........amazing to see what you've accomplished.  she's a fine lady! :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 3 weeks later...

Man, life just does not want me to get this model finished. I've been getting the flags ready to add on the ship. I have been looking at pictures of waving flags and I also fly flags at my house. I've been studying the different ways flags flap and fold as they fly in different wind strengths and forming the flags. 

Jesse

flag.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got to work on rigging the Jack to the Jackstaff. Got it on. Not positive on just how this is supposed to be tied off but here's what I got. Haven't settled on which direction I'll have it waving, will get the Ensign on and then figure it out.

Jesse

A.jpg

B.jpg

C.jpg

D.jpg

That's looking really good Jesse, love the look of your model and flags are definitely in keeping.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

look'in great Jesse....your almost there!  :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 1 month later...

I finally got the flags on. I guess this means this build is finished. I would like to build a lifeboat to hang on the back but who knows when I'll ever get around to that.  Maybe that could be a mini-build some time in the future.

Now I have to get my Lyme damaged brain to remember how to get this labeled as "Finished"

Jesse

flg1.jpg

flg2.jpg

flg3.jpg

flg4.jpg

flg5.jpg

flg6.jpg

flg7.jpg

Looks great I like the flags.

I think you can go to to the first post of the log and edit it and there is a wya to change the title.

Buddy refusing to be left out of the picture! Will put a few more up of completed ship later

Jesse

Bud.jpg

Congratulations Jesse on finishing this beauty! It was a pleasure following your build log! I am just hoping for some more pictures of your finished model 😉

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Jesse - it has been a real pleasure watching you work through the build: those flags are gorgeous. Nice work all around.  You have given this old guy the urge to get to the shop and resume work on the Syren which has been an idle build for about a year.  

Congratulations!

~john

Congratulations on completing your Syren.  You did an excellent job on building this model.  I have enjoyed following your detailed build log and it will be an excellent resource for future Syren builders.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

17 hours ago, JesseLee said:

Buddy refusing to be left out of the picture! Will put a few more up of completed ship later

Been a long road, flags are the cherry on the cake. Kudos on a wonderful build.

I couldn't put my little buddy next to any of my builds, he's a canine chain saw turn your back and you have toothpicks.

Looking forward to more pics.:cheers:

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Jesse, that's a very nice finalized model. I think Buddy approves too, otherwise he would have put his teeth into it directly.😄

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Beautiful! Wonderful accomplishment. 

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore is a habit, not an act.

~ Aristotle 

I could carry, paddle, walk and sing with any man I ever saw. I have been twenty-four years a canoe man, and forty-one years in service; no portage was ever too long for me, fifty songs could I sing. I have saved the lives of ten voyageurs, have had twelve wives and six running dogs. I spent all of my money in pleasure. Were I young again, I would spend my life the same way over. There is no life so happy as a voyageur's life!

~ The Voyageur, Grace Lee Nute