Syren by JesseLee - FINISHED - Model Shipways - scale: 1:64

• 2 weeks later...

Still having trouble adjusting to the much slower pace with the building. With my declining health simple things are not so simple anymore. I have to do the hammock cranes still but have decided to start pre-making and dry-fitting some stuff before I add them. Already made the bowsprit bitts but forgot to post it. Sanding the grove the bowsprit will fit in with sandpaper rolled around a wooden dowel. Began shaping lower bowsprit.

Jesse

DSCN2917.JPG

DSCN2888.JPG

DSCN2918.JPG

Edited by JesseLee

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Working on bees, bowsprit cap, yard sling saddle, jack staff, etc.

Jesse

DSCN2994.JPG

DSCN2997.JPG

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Nice work, Jesse.   Steady as she goes, I think.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Took me a while to catch up with your progress Jesse.  Outstanding longboat mate!

Your Syren is coming along beautifully.  You should be very proud of your fine work.

Dave

Sawdust Dave -

Current build - USS Constitution 1:60th (scratch)....

Visit my blog site - All previous builds.... http://davesmodelships.blogspot.com

Great progress JesseLee - - steady as she goes mate.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Jesse that is an amazing Long Boat. Can I hire you for my Syren? o) 

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

After what seems like forever I finished the Bowsprit. Making the Jibboom: Sanded the eight sides to the heel. Mine turned out to be not as big around as the pictures in the instructions show but close enough to be fine with me. Grooved and shaped the tip. Cut out the sheaves in both ends then realized I cut the sheaves wrong. The tip sheave goes through top/bottom. The heel sheave is supposed to go through sideways and I cut mine both top//bottom. Instead of remaking a whole new Jibboom I sawed off the heel right between where out is rounded and where the eight flat sides are. Drilled both ends out and glued in a 2mm wire pin. Glued it on with the sheave turned the right way. (I had previously left extra length to this end in case of any problems). The seam is almost invisible and this will also be right at a paint line so it wont be noticed. The wire pin made it very strong. Cut this end to length and grooved it out on the end.

Jesse

DSCN3027.JPG

DSCN2998.JPG

DSCN2999.JPG

DSCN3000.JPG

DSCN3001.JPG

DSCN3037.JPG

DSCN3040.JPG

Nice done JesseLee ad a great save.

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

nice work Jesse :) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 5 weeks later...

It has been quite a while since my last update. My illness along with many other things have kept me from the work bench. Seems life keeps dumping more and more on me including another death in the family. I am very thankful though when I see all the devastation happening in so many places. At least I still have a home and a work bench to get back to.

The instruction book has me ready to start permanently adding the bowsprit assembly and rigging it. I am holding off just like I did the Hammock cranes and netting. I like to pre-make all the physical parts from the bowsprit, jibbooms, masts, yards, tops, etc. first. I do this to make sure all parts are made the right size and fit properly ahead of time. I have found in the past that if you don't look ahead sometimes having to alter a later piece might affect how everything fits or spaces with pieces you have already glued in place. This also can apply to how the rigging ends up so I just like to do things this way.

The next series of updates will be me pre-making all these parts, a lot of dry fitting and checking that everything will end up like it is supposed to be. Then I will go back and start gluing things into place in their order so I can get to the rigging stages. Below is the only picture I have ready at the moment of constructing the Dolphin Striker. When there are separate small pieces like tis glued together that will have rigging pulling on them I like to have tiny metal pins between each piece for extra strength. More updates coming soon.

Jesse

DSCN3008.JPG

Dry fitting of the bowsprit, jibboom & flying jibboom.

Jesse

DSCN3042.JPG

DSCN3043.JPG

Started the lower masts. Used poplar dowels I picked up at Lowes. To square the top part I started with a mini plane sent to from Europe. Then finished with emory sticks women use for their nails. Made the cheeks Notched them for bands.

Jesse

DSCN3007.JPG

DSCN3005.JPG

DSCN3009.JPG

DSCN3010.JPG

DSCN3022.JPG

DSCN3023.JPG

The cleats supplied in the kit are cheap metal stuff and I just can't see trying to use them at all. Decided to make my own. Had some scrap pieces of some kin of hard wood cut off the end of something. Cut out into small strips then shaped with mini files. Made all the ones needed on the lower masts and the ones that will be needed in the rigging later. Close ups of both ends of the completed lower masts.

Jesse

DSCN3030.JPG

DSCN3031.JPG

DSCN3032.JPG

DSCN3033.JPG

DSCN3044.JPG

DSCN3045.JPG

DSCN3046.JPG

7 hours ago, JesseLee said:

The cleats supplied in the kit are cheap metal stuff and I just can't see trying to use them at all. Decided to make my own. Had some scrap pieces of some kin of hard wood cut off the end of something. Cut out into small strips then shaped with mini files. Made all the ones needed on the lower masts and the ones that will be needed in the rigging later. Close ups of both ends of the completed lower masts.

I love your self made cleats!! I've got to make them also. The ones with the kit are awful. Nice Job

Jesse - I know it is too late for you but for everyone else in the Syren Club Chuck makes some great Cleats out of boxwood.

Current Builds - 18th Century Longboat, MS Syren

Completed Builds - MS Bluenose, Panart BatteStation Cross section, Endevour J Boat Half Hull, Windego Half Hull, R/C T37 Breezing Along, R/C Victoria 32, SolCat 18

On the shelf - Panart San Felipe, Euromodel Ajax, C.Mamoli America, 

Its a sailor's Life for me! :10_1_10:

Mighty fine work JesseLee. Yup, there's nothing like scratch building your own parts.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Jesse Lee

I have to add my 2 cents re: The made cleats  over the metal is the difference between an ok model or a class 1 build, these are the small things that hits you between the eyes in the appearance of a finished build. I am really surprised they included those nasty looking cleats in the model that was not cheap and would have added little if any to the cost of the kit.

Very nice job you improved the appearance by 100%

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co.