Syren by JesseLee - FINISHED - Model Shipways - scale: 1:64

15 hours ago, BETAQDAVE said:

How did you get that realistic sag in the ratlines and how did you get it to stay put?

I "paint" them with watered down white glue. This holds the hitches and the shape. I sort of shape them with the paintbrush before it dries. They dry pretty quick. If you need to re-shape them just dip the brush in water and go back over it so you can work on the shape of the sag. 

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Clove hitch, clove hitch, clove hitch, clove hitch, clove hitch.............clove hitch, clove hitch, clove hitch, clove hitch, clove hitch.................

Jesse

DSCN3240.JPG

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

But it looks so good

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Boring for sure - - - but look at the results, just outstanding.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Jesse, those ratlines look so real. Seizing the ends to the shrouds to me is the real key here. I always have trouble with some of the ends coming undone if I just use a clove or a luggage hitch on them. Next time, I am going to use your technique for sure. Thank you.

BTW, I used to think that tying the clove hitches was a lot of work, but I think if I counted the number of seizings I have had to do on the Constitution rigging, it would be a lot more than the number of clove hitches in the ratlines.

• 2 weeks later...

I finished the ratlines. Did them on the futtock shrouds too.

On 4/10/2018 at 6:23 PM, BETAQDAVE said:

How did you get that realistic sag in the ratlines and how did you get it to stay put?

I failed to give enough detail. After tying off the lines the watery glue is brushed on and let dry to seal all the line ends where they are tied and hitched. Shape as needed as the glue gets about half-way dry. When the whole thing is done I water brushed them to thin down any areas where the glue may show on the knots and hitches. You want them to look like you just tied them. After all this I usually do another light brushing of water with a drop or two of paint to match the original rope color to mask any glue washed look to them. This is a very light wash. I immediately dry it by lightly pressing front and back sides between my fingers where space allows this. I try to have cut pieces of cloth like handkerchief material around my fingers. You can also use cotton swabs in hard to reach areas. I have chosen dark brown instead of black rope for my standing rigging so I had a drop of black and brown in the wash. This can sometimes slightly tighten it up when the wet ropes dry. I learned this from my flagpole ropes outside. You can also use a stain for this if you want instead of the water/paint wash. I don't like it as well because to me the ropes turn out looking more wet/oily looking from the stain. The water paint wash leaves them flat and dry looking like regular rope. I know some will think this overkill but I love the final resulting look.

Jesse

DSCN3243.JPG

clove hitch.........two words you will never misspell again  :D  {not that you did......just say'in}.    super job on the ratz........they look great!  ;) 

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Those ratlines look magnificent JesseLee, masterfully done.

Cheers,

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

VOC Ship Surabaya

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

• 4 weeks later...

It has been a while again. Health and wife....umm...I mean life, keeping from the workbench.

I have been working on the Main and Fore Topmast Shrouds. Got 2 sets on the fore and while working on the main there were some kids in the house wanting to see trying to climb all over me and they made me accidentally cut the shroud right in the middle. Part of it was served, both deadeyes already tied on and I did not want to have to re-do all this. Very frustrated. 

Jesse

DSCN3253.JPG

The next day before starting all over I thought I would test an idea I've had but never tied. I have read in books how they spliced ropes together sometimes. This would be a good time to see if I can do this at this scale. I untwisted the strands of the other end of the shroud that had a lot extra still on the end that had not been cut off. Untwisted the cut side, spaced these two together to the correct length and re-twisted the rope together. Luckily this line naturally went right back in place very well. I painted it with watered down white glue and CA the spot at each end where the splicing ended. When the glue dried ans everything was trimmed up it was good as new.

Jesse

DSCN3244.JPG

DSCN3245.JPG

DSCN3246.JPG

DSCN3247.JPG

DSCN3249.JPG

DSCN3257.JPG

things happen for a reason.........testing you to see if you can outwit the model  ;)    I'd give anything to have my grand kids climb all over me......I just don't see them enough { I'm sure to get my fill when I do see them though ;) }   nice repair........there is no real rule that all dead eyes are equal in length.  if they are off  a tad,  it's fine.   I feel it makes the model look more life like.   I hope all is better now......your dedication to this model is highly admired  :) 

you've done a superb job on her !

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Beautiful work on the splice JesseLee.  Yeah, stuff happens sometimes but - they say it builds character :)

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

23 hours ago, Piet said:

Beautiful work on the splice JesseLee.  Yeah, stuff happens sometimes but - they say it builds character :)

I guess that I would second that assessment!  Of course that was just another opportunity to use some more of that innovative problem solving that you are so good at.  That is something that we have in common and it's one of my favorite things about modeling. ;)

Dave

“You’ve just got to know your limitations”  Dirty Harry

Current Builds:  Modified MS 1/8” scale Phantom, and modified plastic/wood hybrid of Aurora 1:87 scale whaling bark Wanderer.

Past Builds: (Done & sold) 1/8” scale A.J. Fisher 2 mast schooner Challenge, 1/6” scale scratch built whaler Wanderer w/ plans & fittings from A.J. Fisher, and numerous plastic kits including 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution (twice), Cutty Sark, and Mayflower.

(Done & in dry dock) Modified 1/8” scale Revell U.S.S. Constitution w/ wooden deck and masting [too close encounter w/conc. floor in move]

Hope to get to builds: MS 3/16” scale Pride of Baltimore II,  MS 1/2” scale pinky schooner Glad Tidings,  a scratch build 3/16” scale  Phantom, and a scratch build 3/16" scale Denis Sullivan.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the comments and likes. 

It has been a while. Health condition is slowing me down. The hardest part is getting used to the fact that getting less done is probably going to be the new norm.

I have started working on the topmast shrouds and ratlines. Very slow but plugging along!

Jesse

DSCN3259.JPG

Looking Great Jesse.

Peter.

Current Build:     USF Confederacy 1778 - Model Shipways - 1:64

Completed:         US Brig Syren - Model Shipways - 1:64

San Francisco Cross Section - Artesania Latina - 1:50

Future build:        HM Granado - Caldercraft - 1:64

LeRenard - Artesania Latina - 1:50

Keep on plugg'n JesseLee, we're with you.

Cheers,

VOC Ship Surabaya

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

any progress is good progress Jesse...........there are no rules on speed ;)   amazing work your doing........!  super job my friend!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

• 2 weeks later...

Working on the upper shrouds on the port side.  My work area is way too cluttered, lol

Jesse

DSCN3273.JPG