Syren by JesseLee - FINISHED - Model Shipways - scale: 1:64

Thanks so much for the well wishes & encouragement. This is one of the many reasons I love this group of people here at MSW.

As I work on filing & shaping these parts into something useable my mind is thinking of things I could try to do. I've noticed on every body else's Syren builds they say the carronades supplied in the kit are not as thick as they should be. Since I cant buy more I wonder if it is possible to wrap them with thin paper & CA glue to thicken them up Keeping them filed & shaped right as I do this. It would take a lot more time but I think maybe it is possible?????? Anybody ever tried anything like that? Might try making one out of  a wooden dowel just to see how difficult it is. Or... I could just use them as they are knowing they should be thicker barrels.

Also thinking ahead. The plans have the ship rigged with no sails. I'm wondering about furled sails. Haven't seen anyone do this on a Syren model. Problem is I don't have enough rigging knowledge to know how to deviate from prepared instructions & alter the rigging if I were to do this but I would like the way it would look with furled sails.

Any thoughts or input on these ideas???

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Hi Jesse, although I have never tried thickening a cannon I was thinking maybe epoxy glue may work better, letting it partially dry first then apply it. It would dry real hard and stick well would prevent the frayed look you might get from ca and paper.

As for the sails I'm not much help there either my only attempt was a complete failure :)

It is all looking good though, keep it up

Take Care

Hello JesseLee,

I'm not familiar with the plans on the rigging for the Syren, but there is a book: The Mastereing and Rigging of English Ships of War 1625 - 1860 / Lees, which could help you out. I've got my copy second hand and it is quite pristine. Unfortunately I cannot remember the price ... Maybe a library of some sorts could help you out if it is to expensive ... Or if you need specific information, I'm happy to scan some pages so you can see if it will be of any use - send me a PM with your requirements ...

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Jesse- any pictures of the carronades? Curious how 'out' they are/look..

I'm far from the authority on the running rigging but a few books have been helpful to me (especially Lennarth Peterson - Rigging Period Ship Models which has nie simple pictures).  My impression is that the rigging belaying points don't change if you're rigging with sails, its just whether they are bent to a sail or to the end of another line...I'm sure others can expand on my horrible description.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Hi Jesse.... just been thru your log.....What a great!! build.... enjoyed your cat too!! :)

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

I'm not sure on your questions, but I will look through my favorite book for these kind of issues. (The Lore of Ships)

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Jesse 

Regarding the carronade barrels, my inclination is to leave them as is...or invest in the pricey brass alternatives.  I think that if you try to "fatten them up" by any means it would just look worse.  But I do agree with you - those poorly cast cannon barrels detract from the overall model and do not add to it.  But sometimes you have to play the hand you are dealt.

<<Gary>>

current build: SYREN

nearly done:  Fair American, Benjamin W. Latham

future builds:  Emma C. Berry

completed builds:  Rattlesnake, Newsboy, Sultana

Here is a picture. The carronade barrels are not anywhere near as thick as the plans show them.

post-6826-0-49184800-1458777149_thumb.jpg

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

I think turning them out of wood is probably the better of choices. At least when compared to building them up that much!  The real trick is getting them all consistent, but it's doable.  :)

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Wow what a difference, they aren't even close to being what is shown on the plans. Such a nice kit and they send that with it! My feelings are that trying to build those up would be quite an undertaking. I think making new ones, even from wood if need be, would be a much better option. I'm not sure what you have for tools lathe? dremel? drill press? but using anyone of these could do the job and give you a better result than what you have now.

Just my 2(CDN)cents worth(approx. 1.5 US) :)

Hi Jesse, I had thought about doing something similar before I took the easy way out and bought replacement cannonades from Bluejacket.  I had thought about dipping the cannons in thinned black paint a number of times to build up their thickness, sort of like dipping candles in wax.  I never tried it so I'm not sure if it would work.  If you need extra cannonades to experiment on let me know I can send you the ones from the kit I didn't use.

Not sure about the sails.

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

USCG Harriet Lane - Model Shipways

Complete 

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways

New York Pilot Boat 'Phantom' 1868 - Model Shipways

post-14614-0-50009100-1458829204_thumb.jpeg

Here's this. I might be able to send more later.

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Dirk has got a good one there, forgot I've got it too(!) You might as well try the American site from Abe: http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?sts=t&tn=Rigging+Period+Ship+Models

Cheers

Carl

Hi Jesse -

More thoughts after reading comments by recent reviewers.  The carronade barrels from Blue Jacket are $3.49 each times 16 with shipping comes to over $60.  Whether this is a lot or a little depends on the circumstances of individual modelers.  It is about a third of the price I paid for the entire kit.   These are better than the barrels supplied in the kit but are not perfect.  As SalD shows on page 15 of his build log, the part on the back that the elevating screw passes through needs to be added, and the lug on the bottom needs to be re-shaped.  Too bad Chuck Passaro does not offer some nice replacement brass carronade barrels for the SYREN kit at a reasonable price...  Notice that the barrels he shows in the "Instruction Manual" look much nicer than those we got.

Some folks suggested turning the barrels from wood.  Nice idea.  I wish I had the skills and the lathe to do it.  If I did, I might be tempted to machine them from brass or aluminum.  

So here we are.  I will be interested to see which alternative you select.  Good luck.

<<Gary>>

Well, after starting to try wrapping with paper & CA, everyone was right. Way too much thickening required & I gave up on that idea. Thought I'd see how difficult turning Carronade barrels out of wood dowels would be. Held in a drill & using mostly files This is how the first one looks. This is somewhat difficult & time consuming for me but still much less time consuming than the paper & CA would be. I tried to use a pattern for shaping the whole barrel at one time cut into the side of a piece of metal but for some reason it wouldn't cut the wood. So I'm cutting each section with the files & modeling blades. Have actually got a second one turned & got them the same but wondering how difficult it will be to keep them consistent since there has to be 16 of them.

Jesse

post-6826-0-50171300-1458958457_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-08671700-1458958482_thumb.jpg

Great work, Jesse. The new wooden carronade is a vast improvement.

Could you use the metal pattern shape as a template guide to check how much more shaping was required ??

I realize this doesn't reduce the amount of work you will need to do, but will help to maintain consistency across all of the new cannons.

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Jessie are you set up for casting them in resin?  This would be a better alternative than turning each one.

David B

Jesse,

What David said.. is casting an option?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Jesse, looks like a good start, plan to keep an eye on this build..... :bird-vi:

Current build:

A Battleship

Past builds:

The Unicorn - The Lindworm - Malahini -  Shinobi Maru  -  The MaryJane - The Weeligstraal

Good result in shaping a caronnade from a dowel, JesseLee. I would as Steve suggested make a pattern to check the overal shape of the caronnade. Then you'll know how much you need to take off, and where, at certain stages during the process.

Casting with resin may be an option as suggested, although I do not know the costs. You've got your initial form to make the mold ... Kees de Mol did some resin work on his build too (look here: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10339-kw88-pelikaan-by-kees-de-mol-dutch-beamtrawler-1999-scale-175/page-5#entry376627  ) It does have it's merrits ...

Cheers

Edited by cog

Carl

Jesse -

Wow!!! Nicely done.  You clearly found a better solution to the problem.  Keep us posted on your progress.

<<Gary>>

Thanks for all the feedback! No, I'm not set up for casting & have never done any before. Pondering my options. Operating on a shoestring budget & my hobbies usually rate last in priorities since I lost control of the budget after becoming sick. If I do have to turn them all I will be making a better metal template to keep everything the same. Oh, & welcome to my build log Keith!

Jesse

Jesse, your carronades turned out great. Cap'n Steve's template will help keep those consistent.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Great job on the wooden cannonade JesseLee, perfection.  Give Sawdust Dave a PM and ask him for assistance on mold making and casting.  Hobby lobby and any arts and crafts store have these kits in stock and are rather inexpensive.

On the other hand though, making them from wood is a fun thing to do, hmmm, I'm smiling as I say that ;)   After a few you'll get the hang of it and can turn them out in a hurry.  Satisfaction of a job well done is worth it's weight in gold.  Keep plugging at it my friend, you are now in the scratch build world.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Jessie,

nice carronade.  

I am trying to turn the belaying pins and know how difficult that must be.  

Do you intend to paint and if so, what are you planning to use.?

Richard

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

Richard, I have been thinking about that. I'm wondering if they will still look like wood even when painted. If so is there some easy way to make them appear more like metal? Maybe paint them with a metal paint such as silver or brass or copper first? I also have noticed how much better blackened metal looks compared to black painted.. Wondering if there is some paint mixing method of making the black paint look more like blackened metal.

Jesse

JesseLee,

You need to paint them first with a very diluted primer, sand it after drying (you may want to repeat this step), and again with a normal primer and sand it with a very fine sand paper, or nail polisher stick. After that you can paint them in which ever way you want ... maybe a mixture of gunmetal and black ... try it out before you apply it to the carronades

Cheers

Edited by cog

Carl