Syren by JesseLee - FINISHED - Model Shipways - scale: 1:64

Got the lathe in today. Already started playing with it. This is going to make things so much easier & faster than the way I was having to do it before! 

Jesse

post-6826-0-35952900-1462648746_thumb.jpg

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

I went looking for info on this tool and did find a manual:  http://vintagemachinery.org/files/PDF/Dremel/700.pdf

It looks like you could turn small diameter brass rod but you'd have to use files instead of cutters.   Nice bit of machinery there.  I'm glad someone helped you out.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

That is doing great jesse.  And instead of files you can use engravers like watchmakers do.  Many years ago at an NRG Conference a member gave a demo on using engravers and how to make them.  Basically you can make them from blank drill rod and 1/4 tool steel.  Using a moto tool nd a sanding disk or grinder put and angle on the tip about 45 deg. I think and then on an oil stone.  with practice you can do many things with them.

My apologies but these were taken years ago and this was the best shots I could get.

post-227-0-58048000-1462665544.jpg

I turned down some wood and made handles for them and I have used them many times.

post-227-0-84008400-1462665562.jpg

post-227-0-56907600-1462665580.jpg

I wish the photos were better but these were taken aon an old camera that was dying on me.

I hope things get better soon.

David B

That brings back memories David. I used to use them when I was a bench jeweler before I got sick. Will have to try to make some

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Sorry for my absence JesseLee, have been too busy with very needed work around the house.  Your new toy looks really nice and well help in making all kinds of things.  Like dead eyes and spindles, wheel axles for the cannon carriages and their wheels.

Keep battling that lyme thing my friend.

Cheers, 

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Jesse,

I also made one of the youtube homemade electric drill lathes. I am very interested in how you made the cutter for the carronades. Could you share how you made this and what it was made of. I never did any metal shop classes,  only wood and plastics.

Tjhanks

Michael

Jack, the max distance is about 6 inches.

Michael, do you mean the metal template I'm using to keep them all uniform?

tuning in a bit late myself.....sorry to hear that your illness has kept you side lined :(    it's great to see folks give of themselves to others.......to me,  this world has turned much too complacent {I'd go into it more,  but it's nothing more than a huge debate ;)......trust me}.   kudos to the friend that sent you the new tool........quite an addition to the workshop.   I would have to learn all about turning.......haven't done it since school.   I do hope you feel better my friend,  it would be so good to see you making sawdust again  :)

BTW.........any news on Keith?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Popeye, the news is sad. I'm afraid Keith is gone from MSW for good. Lyme disease is a nasty thing . It infects every part of the body including the brain. His had gone to his brain & changed his personality. He has smashed his ship models & no longer builds. He is not the same person we all knew. He is very hostile & suspicious of the administrators & argues with anyone now. He has isolated himself & is in a very dark place now. It is difficult to talk to him & honestly I have stopped trying. I keep him in my prayers & hope & pray this disease doesn't do the same thing to me. He was the first friend I had here at MSW & we had many personal conversations about our shared illness. I miss my friend. :(

Jesse

JesseLee,

I'm truely sorry to hear this about Keith, and can imagine the loss it means to/for you ... I do hope you won't follow in his footsteps with the Lyme disease ... I do hope he finds some peace of mind and quiet for his sake ...

you're in my thoughts, be as well as can be!

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

I cannot even put a like to that bit of news my friend..........then I have lost a friend as well :(   Keith and I got to know one another .....PM chat every once in a while.   out of the blue,  he sends me a Popeye lunch box..........but not long after   :(    it explains why I'd send cards and never get a reply.    I hope he gets better,  or finds relief......and I wish the same for you as well.  thanks for the update.........grim news to be sure.  positive thinking my friend  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I hit "like" to acknowledge that, Jesse.  I don't like the news.   This saddens me terribly.   Keith had a lot of insights not only into ship building but life.  I've been hoping he'd come back as I missed his builds and his PM's.

I'm hoping there's a better prognosis for yours and I wish the medical types had better treatments.   I'll keep you and Keith in my thoughts and prayers.   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Likewise from me also Jesse - sad to hear the news about Keith - I really enjoyed his banter and his modeling - All the best for you - hope the doctors can keep your disease at bay at least - both of you are in my thoughts and prayers also.

Jesse, that's a sad bit of news. Both of you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Jesse,

Yes, the template for the cannon profiles. The only thing I am not happy with on my drill press is the tool rest. I have always been under the impression that the tool rest should be very close to the work piece to prevent chatter. Is this correct? I will take some photos of the lathe and post them.

I know a little about Lyme's Disease. It is a very insidious condition. I wish you and Keith all the best and hope you do well.

Regards

That is very sad :(. I hope he gets better, and that you don't go there as well.

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

This a sad piece of new.  I remember when I was in Iowa City Keith would get my spirits up and learned many things from him as well.   I have tried contacting him but never succeeded.  I think I speak for many that he will be missed.  May the Lord grant him peace from his torment.

David B 

Michael, I used metal strips I found when cleaning out our burn barrel. I have strained my brain trying to figure out what they were in. I just don't know.  They are about 4 inches x 7/8 inch. They were blackened and can be bent fairly easily (but that might be because the fire annealed them). I drew/traced the side shape of the carronade on the side of the metal & used a cutting disc on the Dremel to cut the shape out. It took several attempts to get one right. I pinned the piece onto the end of another one of these mystery metal strips. I dilled 2 holes through the pieces. Used cheap small silver colored nails to brad them together. After putting nails through the holes I cut them off about 2/16" on the back side & cut a split/notch in the cut off nail ends with the same cutting disc on the Dremel. Then wedged those splits open with a screwdriver end & hammered them flat. It's kind of crude but it does what I need it to do.

Jesse

post-6826-0-78624300-1463158072_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-65994100-1463158089_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-62157800-1463158123_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-99810900-1463158142_thumb.jpg

Jesse,

Thanks for showing me how you did this. It's on the list of to do's. My other question is did you use this as a cutter or just a profile checker? And if a profile cutter did you use any special cutting tools or just small lathe cutters?

Thanks

I wanted to use it as the cutter- would have made it all faster & easier but it does not cut well. I have been using chisel end exacto blades & mini files to do the cutting. Look on page 26 of this log. The cutting tools are all in the pic there.

Jesse

Hi JesseLee, I'm so very sorry about Keith's condition and pray that the Almighty will spare you that fate.

Stay strong and good courage.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Love the lathe Jesse, I'm completely jealous. I'm still using a modified Dremel - inconsistent and sketchy stability at best. I'll keep a close watch on your experimenting and an eye out for a mini lathe.

-Bug

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jessie,

I am at the point of making carronades.  As you found out, the metal template doesn't really shave the form to specs.  I found that I can use it to shave in a rough shape and then finish by hand.  This gets me uniformity of shape along its length but still have some problem getting the various diameters to be uniform.  Its probably and issue of practice.

As I put together the prototype, mounted on the sled, I am starting to think about how to finish off the fittings on the rear of the carronade, i.e., lug, breech line ring, threaded piece for the elevator screw. etc.  I need to decide if I want to use wood or brass. 

Have you thought about it or come to any decision?

Richard

Richard
Member: The Nautical Research Guild
                Atlanta Model Shipwrights

Current build: Syren

Been thinking about that Richard. With my limited resources I will try wood first. Everything has been put on hold for me. We are getting our house refinanced to get our payment lowered. The appraiser is coming Tues. morning,  I'm having to get the house inside & outside ready which means no bench time at all. I'm dying to get back to it! :(

Jesse