Syren by JesseLee - FINISHED - Model Shipways - scale: 1:64

JesseLee,

Sinc your gunports aren't square you could increase the hight by 1 - 2 mm ... they would b touching the rail. Another additional option is to take some weight from the upper and lower parts of the slides aswell, make them thinner

concerning your other question. Something between mat and brilliant (we call it satin) the gloss would take it to far

Cheers mate

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Jesse,

I had the same problem with the guns being too high.  I removed most of the lower lug, which you can't really see anyway, and added a pin to secure the cannon to the sled.  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/8410-us-brig-syren-by-sald-–-model-shipways/?p=344563 

My cannons still ended up a little high in the ports.  I wouldn't mess around with the ports at this stage of the build. (just my opinion)

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

USCG Harriet Lane - Model Shipways

Complete 

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways

New York Pilot Boat 'Phantom' 1868 - Model Shipways

Hello Jesse,

As soon as you go with slightly "more substantial" barrels than provided in the kit you run into this problem. My solution to this was exactly what Jparsley suggested: not to worry about it  :). Your carronades look good the way they are. 

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Jesse,

Looking back at some of your previous entries I found this pic - I thought it was weird that the plans called for a larger cannonade than the kit provided, but when the proper size was installed the positioning was off.  I read that you experimented with the thickness of the sled; it's hard to tell scale in a photograph... are your sleds really 1/16th of an inch thick as described in the plans in the photo?  That seems really thin... 

I think it may be an academic discussion.... I agree with everyone else's comments. It all looks great as is!

Stubby

post-21893-0-11515700-1467729299.png

"They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters;

These see the works of the Lord, and his wonders in the deep."

- Psalm 107:23-24 (KJV)

Beautiful work on the Cannons Jesse, I really dig it.   

Nicely done, I need to check back in more often - I'm missing too much.

- Bug

Hi Jesse,

I built a home made mini lathe using a electric hand drill. I am having trouble getting decent cuts with the miniature cutting tools that I have. Did you make some  custom cutters to get those fine lines? If so, care to share?

Regards

Thanks everyone for all the input, encouragement & advice.

By the time everyone began telling me to leave them like they are I had already started thinning down about 5 of the sleds so I'm continuing with that. Picture updates will be coming soon.

Michael,  I had a lot of trouble with that too. I don't know if it is my cutting tools or the wood. I got much better results from the mini files. They will give you the finest edges & lines. I used a flat square & a square, & a triangle file to get the shapes I needed. I also used a hobby razor edge to cut the thin line between the 2 raised lips. Hope that helps.

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

to leave 'em or make the adjustments........you can see that there was no real answer.......only the one that you decided on  ;)   personally,  I would have left them too......especially after seeing that picture of the instruction diagram.    your on the right track Jesse.........wonderful progress!  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

JesseLee,

Remember: it's your build, and we can only say what we would do, or what possibilities are open to you ... you are the docyard super/master shipwright in here ;)

Edited by cog

Carl

• 4 weeks later...

I have been slowly working on it while I've been sick. Decided to thin the sleds. Had to pop the metal piece off thinned both wooden components and thinned the wheels down a lot too.

While all this was being worked on I looked over my ship & saw a lot of battle damage. Replaced a broken bumpkin, glued down a lot of copper plate corners, and glued some gun port lids back on.

I also filed the gun port openings slightly, not much but every little bit will help with lowering the carronades. This also gave me a chance to even them up better than I had them before.

post-6826-0-31208400-1470770748.jpg

post-6826-0-24305300-1470770823.jpg

post-6826-0-59949800-1470770857.jpg

post-6826-0-58539400-1470771471.jpg

post-6826-0-89152600-1470771503.jpg

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Very good, Jesse. It looks good to. As you know, slow is good, less chance on mistakes. Glad you are moving on, eventhough you still don't feel good. Hope you feel better soon, you're in my thoughts.

Cheers

Carl

Very nice work on the carronades Jesse, these things always seem to take way longer than they should :-)  Love the detailed close up pics, really nice.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Thanks for the comments, encouragement & the "Likes".

I added a small lip or foot to the brackets. This was very small detail & a lot of extra time but I thought they looked a little better this way. Kept losing the darned little things so I strung them all on a wire loop - lost none after that. Pinned them through the lugs with wire & managed to keep them all movable somehow. (sorry some of the pictures didn't come out focused very well)

post-6826-0-02540600-1470875494.jpg

post-6826-0-97812900-1470875516.jpg

post-6826-0-40766900-1470875535.jpg

post-6826-0-29218500-1470875579.jpg

post-6826-0-00485200-1470875601.jpg

Jesse,

Your killing me. Every time I walk past the Syren box, it feels like something is grabbing me by the throat. As soon as I finish my Endeavour, or probably while I am still rigging which begins in a day or so, I will start my Syren. I hope I enjoy the build because everything I do will have to measure up to your Syren, (not a chance), the Gold Standard  of Syren building.

A joy to watch your ship take shape

By the way, what are you using to take your great photos, especially the close ups?

Regards

It's so good seeing you back at the bench JesseLee.  Good idea on the lowering method of the carronades, that'll work.  Some very nice micro work on the carronade brackets too.  Keep at it my friend, your ship is looking really great.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thanks Michael, Jeff, Piet, Ken and Carl !

Michael, this is the camera I'm using. I don't know a thing about cameras. My wife gave it to me for Christmas last year just so I could do pictures of my build logs. It does pretty good but does not get really close up like I've seen others be able to do. One problem I have is I dropped it last year in the parking lot at a pier when we went to the beach. Now the screen showing what you are seeing is messed up from the drop & I can only see the edge on one side. I can't see if my pics are centered or in focus so I have to guess then take the smart card thing out , put it in the computer & see if it is ok. If not I have to go back & try it again.

Jesse

post-6826-0-80494200-1470936336.png

Jesse, I use the same camera. :) Although I carry it, treating it like it was a baby. :rolleyes:

My last little DSLR got dropped and would never focus properly afterwards. :angry:

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Jesse

I got the same one, but for the colour. It's used for the quick pics. However, it doesn't do close ups very well. I use a Canon EOS 400D for that. An oldy but it does the trick. I try not to drop them ... so far I've managed ... knock on wood. The digital stuff is so much more vulnerable unfortunately. Sometimes a mere sneeze will damage it

Carl

Same here !!

(Except mine is blue)

:cheers:

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Thanks Jeff, I just checked out your build log. looks very good!

Well, I haven't posted anything but I have been working on putting the tiny hooks in the blocks that will be on the carronades. There are so many of them it takes a while, not much to show yet. 

Still pretty sick but going with the admiral to take our daughter to college & get her moved in. It will be very hard on me physically & I'll probably cry like a baby when we leave her. Hope to post some pictures of the progress when we get back this weekend.

Jesse

Eventhough it is a kind of parting, you should find joy in your daughter's next step in life. I know you're proud of her ... I can only guess at the train wreck feeling you'll experience to make the trip. It will probably mean a lot to your daughter. I wish you lots of strength and a safe trip to you and your travel companions

Hope you feel better soon

Cheers

Carl

Hi JesseLee, hang in there babe.  Crying is okay my friend but it's only temporary.  Happens to all who have children, at some day they have to fly the coop.  Please say hi to her from that old crazy Dutch guy she met last year and wish her all the best.

Hugs for your dear wife and daughter.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)