Syren by JesseLee - FINISHED - Model Shipways - scale: 1:64

Started working on the coamings and gratings. The wood provided with the kit splits and cracks too easily and doesn't sand very smoothly. I see the benefit of using better wood like I've seen others do in their builds. These are just dry fitted for now.

Jesse

post-6826-0-61282900-1475004629_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-35967500-1475004649_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-62311000-1475004667_thumb.jpg

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Jesse,

Your gratings are beautiful. How did you get the metal corners on the rope locker grating to come out so realistic? This is probably an item that I would have never considered modeling. Way beyond my skill level.

Regards

It's just paper painted gun metal black with wires snipped off in them to simulate metal rivets.

Jesse

Edited by JesseLee

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Those are some fantastic looking gratings! I look forward to more!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

It's just paper painted gun metal black with wires snipped off in them to simulate metal rivets.

Jesse

Great idea, Jesse ... That one is going straight in the Ideas Folder !!!

Edited by CaptainSteve

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Great little tutorial on your mast hole jig JesseLee.  That'll make life a lot easier for you later on.  And a wow on the gratings, great job.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Snipped off wires. Wow! Some things are really complicated.

Thanks Jesse

These are some very nice looking gratings! Just check on the positions of the openings for the anker cables. I think they need to point towards the bow.

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Its not glued down yet. Didn't pay attention which way I laid it for the picture.

• 2 weeks later...

Made the Capstan. Used the kit supplied parts. The drum head was a simple layering of precut parts together. Getting the whelps spaced right wasn't working out well for me so I marked out the spacing on the bottom. My memory tells me I took more pictures of the assembly but my camera memory card tells me I didn't so I took pics of the finished piece. Sorry some of the pictures didn't focus correctly.

Jesse

post-6826-0-39164400-1475791471_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-76315200-1475791491_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-66108100-1475791505_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-54167100-1475791522_thumb.jpg

Jesse,

With these small parts we tend to get to closewith the camera, which makes it hard to focus. Try to keep your distance and zoom in.

Your capstan looks the part to me. Marking the position on it is a good trick. Need to remember that somehow ... thanks for sharing

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Nice job with that capstan! I like the color!

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

Haven't got a lot done on the ship since Hurricane Matthew came through. Things are still bad here in North Carolina. People have drowned. Farms are lost. Livestock lost. Many homes flooded. Been letting some family over to get showers. But I have been working a little.

Started constructing the 2 cannon. Tried to figure out how to sand the laser cut wheels provided all the same. Played with a few ideas & came up with this. Found an old piece of guitar string left behind by our son a few years ago. The wheels screwed snug on the wrapped wire & held just enough to get them all uniform. I achieved this by rolling them all on sandpaper with my fingers. it rounded them up without taking too much off. Painted them while they were still on the wire (didn't pain the sides). Test fitting them on the partially built carriages.

Jesse 

post-6826-0-23815000-1476484377_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-45702400-1476484402_thumb.jpg

Nice solution Jesse,

I wouldn't have thought of it (don't have guitar string, but could have use the cable for a bicyle's handbrakes come to think of it).

And another person helped out ... you are an amazing person, with such an open heart, I feel privileged to get to know you for as far that is possible on a forum

Carl

Good technique, Jesse. Glad to hear you're OK after the Hurricane.

I was up in the Hampton/Norfolk area last week and the local news shows were reporting on the flooding and devastation in eastern NC. The Tar Heel State took a massive hit.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

DR, I'd give you a New York minute to get moving. ;)  May not use the Chrome Horn, but I'll be flying close formation. :o Enjoy the trip.

Jesse, sorry about hijacking your thread. :(

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Hi Jesse. Your Syren is really looking sweet after all the excellent work you have done to get it there. I am a newcomer to the site, but I have read  your log from the beginning and I really appreciate all the great photos you took and your explanations of the ongoing work. Invaluable to a beginner like myself and also just fun to see.  :)

Mike,

an American living in Norway

Current build:  Galley Washington - 1:48 - Scratch POF - NRG plans

Thanks so much guys, your input is always welcome.

No problem Ken!

Welcome to my build Mike, glad to have you.

Well I must have not fit something right when I assembled the carriages. I saw that the axles did not stick out past the trucks.  I sanded a toothpick to the same diameter as the axle, drilled out the existing axles a little and glued the toothpick in and trimmed off to the right length. Used a very small twist drill to make holes for cotter pins. Because of the small scale I just used splinters of wood for the cotter pins. Looking at other builds and the diagrams of these guns in Ship Modeling from Stem to Stern by Milton Roth I made some effort to add some more small details like bolts, ring cotters, etc. to make them look a little better. Mine don't look as nice and smooth as the others who have done this but at this scale it looks ok until you blow up the pictures. There is still some minor clean-up to be done and there was a lot of very fine sawdust clinging to these in the pictures from the surfaces they were sitting on.

Jesse

post-6826-0-85029700-1477097360_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-09246500-1477097381_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-05789500-1477097414_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-60376400-1477097468_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the encouraging comments and "Likes".

Made the Binnacle. Pretty standard, assembled kit supplied laser cut pieces. Added a grooved trim on the sides and back. Rather than try to make tiny knobbed handles I glued snips of wire flat to the drawers to simulate flat pull handles. Added tiny wire pins to hold it to the deck better when it is added latter

Tried soldering 2 wires to make the bell holder. Don't have the best soldering iron or solder so this was very stressful. After many ties they kept breaking back apart. Was giving up on soldering and trying to glue with just as bad results. Then I remembered something from my years as a bench jeweler. I remember sometimes holding a small clipped piece of solder with CA glue on the joint. The CA held the solder in place but also acted as flux when heated. One last try this way and it finally worked.

Tried to solder the bell to this but the bell melted some and warped a little bit. This turned out to be a good thing because the kit supplied bell was a bit large. After filing down and reshaping the bell it was much smaller and shorter which worked better. I drilled a hole through the top. Inserted a wire through bell to double as the ringer below and the means to attach it to the holder at the top Will finish it up later when all this is actually added onto the deck.

Jesse

post-6826-0-09086100-1477528920_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-21297300-1477528945_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-29271600-1477528988_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-71741300-1477529037_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-35665200-1477529114_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-04008500-1477529187_thumb.jpg

Interesting concept, the CA with the solder, must remember it. Saved by the bell ... as it was to large ... You are doing some fiddly work. I see some more small items stowed in the background. Looks good, Jesse. Don't stress, so far you have come up with solutions to everything. It looks like you practise our royalties motto: "Je maintiendrai"

Carl