Syren by JesseLee - FINISHED - Model Shipways - scale: 1:64

You made it! an update even a small one is worth the waiting Jesse. Good to see her with the carronades secured.

Very sorry you didn't get any better, but the contrary. As ever, you and your family are in my thoughts. Try to keep your spirits up

Looking forward to a future update.

Cheers

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Hang in there with your build, Jesse. You have a lot of friends with you in their thoughts and prayers.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Hi Jesse, I am really sorry to hear about your declining health! But in spite of this your carronades look really good! And as I am currently also in the process of rigging the guns on my Syren model I can tell you that your progress seems to be quite a bit faster than mine :)

All the best!

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Jesse Lee,

I have found that there will be one or more bulkhead extensions that break more than once. After the first break, I soak the extension with extra thin CA glue on both the free and fixed piece while holding them together. This produces a "weld" that is indestructable. The only down side, it takes extra elbow grease to fair this piece as it get extremely hard.

Regards

love those shots of your deck!   lots of character shows there ;)    sorry to hear your not recovering as you would have hoped.   take care and do what you can.......there is no speed limit here.   may your good days outweigh the bad......we are all thinking and pray'in for your improvement.  

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Not much to report. Running thread through blocks for the carronade rigging. Seems it will take forever. I'm usually a Bible quoter but ran across this online the other day

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop" - Confucious

Jesse

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

A Chinese proverb ... nice one and very apt. Keep it up, I enjoy your log, small or large updates

I've a soft spot for this one:

"Life is very simple, but we forcefully make it complicated"

Carl

On 3/29/2017 at 7:24 PM, JesseLee said:

One of our pets keeping close by for some comfort.

It's amazing what pets know about our health, the Boss is just recovering from a major health issue knocked her down now for approx 14 months. The cat had not left her side except to eat. They do help with recovery,  and you have to keep the right ATTITUDE, ATTITUDE, ATTITUDE. Our prays go with you.

Syren is top notch!

John Allen

Current builds HMS Victory-Mamoli

On deck

USS Tecumseh, CSS Hunley scratch build, Double hull Polynesian canoe (Holakea) scratch build

Finished

Waka Taua Maori War Canoe, Armed Launch-Panart, Diligence English Revenue Cutter-Marine  Model Co. 

Got all the blocks pre-rigged. Will start adding them to the carronades soon. Wondering about making the rope coils for each one. Seems simple enough but I know it will be harder for me than it used to be.

Jesse

DSCN2940.JPG

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

that's quite a jungle you've got there :)    there are many ways to make Flemish coils......some are very easy.   one was a home made tool.........two small round plastic disc,  pinned together with a push pin.   the thread was wet down with diluted white glue and wound between the disc.    looked like a winner to me ;)   I'm sure the fellow whose process I described,  will chime in and give you more info.   I've done close to the same thing......I used clear cello,  so I can see how big I made them.

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

Jesse. There's a version of the method Popeye is describing in Kit-Basher's. I first learned it from Jay (modeller12).

CaptainSteve
Current Build:  HM Granado Bomb Vessel (Caldercraft)

My BathTub:    Queen Anne Barge (Syren Ship Models)       Log:  Queen Anne Barge (an build log)

Bounty Launch (Model Shipways)                 Log:  Bounty Launch by CaptainSteve
                        Apostol Felipe (OcCre)
                        HMS Victory (Constructo)
Check It Out:   The Kit-Basher's Guide to The Galaxy

Jesse, glad to see you back at it. Guess you're feeling a bit better. Lots of good looking gun tackle there.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

I saw that somewhere recently. Not sure if I will do them that neatly or just a simple coil like Chucks instructions show. The nicely round rolled ones look impressive.

I still feel pretty rotten but I am forcing myself back into it. Been working on those block tackles for weeks now.

Buck, He serves as a warning to anyone who might want to pillage my workbench! I should make one of those cages they used to hang dead Pirates in for it.

Jesse

22 minutes ago, JesseLee said:

Buck, He serves as a warning to anyone who might want to pillage my workbench! I should make one of those cages they used to hang dead Pirates in for it.

Ha, you should put a stiff in it too!!, makes it really repellant :)

Carl

Very nice work on the tackle JesseLee. Hang in my friend.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Prerigging all those blocks and tackles is quite some work! I am in the midst of it myself and know what I am talking about :) Great job!

Thomas

Current Built:   Model Shipways  Syren  (US Brig 1803)

Last Built:        Anfora (kit bashed)  Ictineo II  (1st steam powered submarine 1864)

Still slowly plugging away at it. On top of everything else I have had some other health issues lately. Thought there might be some colon cancer but everything came out clear. Been difficult to get much work done in the shipyard.

Got the tackle rigging for the sleds all hooked on. Found it difficult to do this. Found that a tiny bit of CA glue on each hook kept things in place (they kept on unhooking themselves when I would try to hook the one beside it on).  I pulled the slack out of each line and painted them with watered down white glue to prevent the lines from loosening up.

As for the coils I decided to go with the basic ones like Chuck shows in the instruction book because the other way is to complicated for me now with my limitations due to my health condition. I used a plastic bracelet that the kids like that glows when they first use them. The plastic tube that connects it is taken off so it straightens out. I wrap the line around it and brush watered down glue. It is just the right size for shaping the coils. (My wife fusses at me for saving every piece of junk like this but I always find a use for it!) None of them are glued in place on the deck yet.

Jesse

DSCN2942.JPG

DSCN2944.JPG

DSCN2945.JPG

Nice work Jesse! Those carronades look ready for action! :pirate41:

-Elijah

Current build(s):

Continental Gunboat Philadelphia by Model Shipways

https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/15753-continental-gunboat-philadelphia-by-elijah-model-shipways-124-scale/

Completed build(s):

Model Shipways Phantom

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?showtopic=12376

Member of:

The Nautical Research Guild

N.R.M.S.S. (Nautical Research and Model Ship Society)

The tackle rigging looks very good. Very nicely done those coils, Jesse. You are still making progress, which is the important bit, not the time you need to achieve that. Hope your health improves ...

You are in my thoughts, as always ...

Cheers

Carl

Wow, JesseLee, those carronades and tackle looks magnificent - as the rope coils.  ice progress.

Congrats with the negative cancer report.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

get out!   those coils are neat!!  ....and you can see what your doing to boot! :)    they are REALLY neat........and you did all the cannons.   that's some great progress Jesse ;)   I wish you well my friend and hope you get better soon!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

Gun tackle completed.

Jesse

DSCN2950.JPG

DSCN2947.JPG

DSCN2951.JPG