Syren by JesseLee - FINISHED - Model Shipways - scale: 1:64

Thank you all for your comments, likes & encouragement. Thanks mrangus, the Scottish Maid was a special build for me.

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

good you were able to repair the problem  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Fastened the temporary batten to line up the gun port sills. Got it lined up good & marked the line. Cut out pieces of wood & fitted them making sure they all flow in a smooth line the whole way. Had to re-cut a few of them but once I had them all right I glued them in both port & starboard. Used a metal ruler to check that they were equally level on each side.

post-6826-0-72228200-1431462813_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-04541000-1431462844_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-06046900-1431462866_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-81245200-1431462885_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-30037500-1431462930_thumb.jpg

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Shaved the extra wood sides down with a small carving blade. Started sanding. Was having trouble sanding the inside corners so I made a homemade sanding stick with pointed wedge on one end by gluing sandpaper to a stick with contact cement. This got down in those corners better. Have them all sanded to shape on port & starboard sides. Ready to start the gun port lintels.

post-6826-0-97863700-1431464744_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-47464900-1431464765_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-37808600-1431464791_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-47545000-1431464823_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-28516400-1431464865_thumb.jpg

Great progress JesseLee.  So glad you got the warp fixed.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Cut out & dry fitted all the pieces for the top of the gun ports. Glued them all in place- ready to sand the sides down.

post-6826-0-83308300-1431743808_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-80356200-1431743837_thumb.jpg

Looking good Jesse! This is one of four of Chuck's ships I intend to stockpile starting sometime after the first of the year. I've gone over some of his practicums of them and I really like the detail he goes over for them. 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Where are these practicums at?

Well for the Syren I was talking about the instruction manual. It's way more detailed than the book I got with the Constitution. But there's the ones for his Cheerful, specifically, Chapter 3, that goes into detail about hull planking. Applicable to about any ship. Those are downloadable right on his site. He just goes into much more detail, or explains things better, for Confederacy, Cheerful, Syren, and the Winchelsea which is also on my list when he gets it done. 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Oh, ok. I pre-read over each section ahead of time several times over because he does go into a lot of detail. It looks like a lot when you first see it but it is actually very awesome. Other kit instructions I've had were very vague & left me wondering about a lot of things. Chuck covers everything. It takes some time but it is very, very helpful!

JesseLee,

Looks real good. This will certainly make it easy on you for planking ... I like Chucks explanations/instructions ... his build logs are very much worth while reading to

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

The next step is to use the template to mark where the gun port sides will be. Checking this out ahead of time I see that the one on the starboard side doesn't end up as far as the one on the port side. After scratching my head a bit on this one I recall how I broke almost every bulwark during the last steps. Looking this over I see that in gluing these back on over & over I failed to notice they didn't all end up the exact same angle as they ha started out. Some a little bit too far in & some a little bit too far out. More out on the starboard side. I will be attempting to right all this using the overhead template as a guide. I counting on most of them being able to be bent after brushing them with water & being held in place as they dry. I figure some may have to be re-glued. This I hope will make up for the very slight difference on each side. We'll see how it goes!

Looks like this build is going to be like my last one. Over half the time being used for problem solving. That's ok- it builds patience! (along with anger some times- lol) 

post-6826-0-17420700-1431902078_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-28062900-1431902095_thumb.jpg

Edited by JesseLee

I hear that Jesse. Just don't let it frustrate you too much. If it's wood, it can be repaired or replaced fairly easily. 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

I'm noticing that many of the re-glued bulwarks are not hard & stiff like they should be. I glued them with PVA(carpenters) but they feel spongy? They are more flexible than the others. I know you can harden wood with CA glue. I'm wondering if I do this will PVA bond to the CA wood surface when I get to the planking?

Or maybe the rest of the gun port framing will take care of this anyway....

Edited by JesseLee

Not sure about that one Jesse. I know there's a thread about glues, but I don't know if any of it covers your question specifically. 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

PVA probably won't stick to CA.. unless you sand down to wood where it hasn't soaked.  Which probably defeats the stiffening.   Test it on some scrap.  Also make a 50/50 mix of PVA and water and brush it onto scrap and test that.  It should soak in a harden things up a bit.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Mark, I like that idea better.

she's looking good Jesse........:)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

The watered down PVA worked very well- thanks for the tip Mark!

I got the overhead template to check to see if all the lintels are equal lengths on both sides. There were three on the starboard side that were a hair longer. I cut through them with a fine saw then re-glued & clamped them. The very first one fore was a little bit longer. These adjustments along with evening out the bulwarks as I was doing before fixed it all. Now the templates line up the same on both sides. It all looks better overhead too.

post-6826-0-89147000-1432069347_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-37712000-1432069377_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-57994600-1432069405_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-72732000-1432069425_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-37753000-1432069445_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-52571400-1432069533_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-99718800-1432069564_thumb.jpg

Hi Jesse--I just found this build log. I'll pull up a seat too if you don't mind. You're making really quick progress!

Steve

completed models:

Shenandoah (Corel)

waiting on the shelf:

La Sirene (Corel)

Half Moon (Corel)

Puritan (Mamoli)

Patsy (derisively): "It's only a model."

Arthur: "Sshhh."

George, yes that's always nice isn't it?

Hey Steve, glad to have you with me here!

Edited by JesseLee

Jesse,

I'm glad the PVA and water worked for you.  Everything is looking shipshape and Bristol fashion.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)