Syren by JesseLee - FINISHED - Model Shipways - scale: 1:64

Jesse, glad everything worked out for you and that's a very impressive clamp arrangement you have there in the last picture. 

Sal

Nautical Research Guild

Current

USCG Harriet Lane - Model Shipways

Complete 

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways

New York Pilot Boat 'Phantom' 1868 - Model Shipways

Added the gun port sides. Got my thumb cut because before I sanded I used a blade to remove more wood quicker & of course I can never do this without catching the blade at least once with a finger or thumb. Added pieces for the sweep port tops. Measured sweep ports & added the sides. This finishes the gun port & sweep port framing & completes chapter 3 of the instruction manual.

post-6826-0-66162000-1432343193_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-26101500-1432343212_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-60275300-1432343230_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-84296200-1432343253_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-81014000-1432343272_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-72922000-1432343294_thumb.jpg

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

The gun-ports look good Jesse!  Here's what I do before starting to work with sharp objects. Since I know in advance I'll be cut anyway, I just put band-aids on all of the vulnerable areas first, so when I start to bleed, it doesn't get all over my project.  :D  :D

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Ah yes, every project must have some blood on it.  Good thing is that we have a build in self fix system, ships don't  ;)

Great progress JesseLee, gun ports look good.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Looking good.  We leave a little DNA in every ship!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Looking excellent, Jesse.  What the others have said about "there will be blood".. and DNA apply.  I think that's actually the first rule of model ship building.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Everything seems to be trying to keep me away from the shipyard but I have been able to start the stern framing. Glued the filler & frame pieces in place. Started gluing in the port sills, checking the height with the cannon cut-out.

post-6826-0-54886400-1432592334_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-10599000-1432592354_thumb.jpg

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

super nice progress Jesse  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Been through another bout with my health keeping me from getting much done. Feeling a little better now. Decided to fill in more where the curving is the greatest at the bow & stern. It helps me see better if I have the fairing right. Continuing work on the stern framing & gun ports. The only problem I'm having is determining if I have the right curve/shaping from the last bulkhead up to the bottom of the stern framing.

post-6826-0-43673700-1433023411_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-63660800-1433023429_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-33075600-1433023452_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-14078400-1433023470_thumb.jpg

Hope your recovery continues.  As George said, running a plank through there should tell you if the fairing is ok.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

I have on the sides. I'm not sure about the bottom side of it.

Should it bend up this sharp as in the 1st photo? Or, should I sand some of the corner down & make the plank bend at more of a slope like the last 2 photos?

post-6826-0-10003800-1433032282_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-65941500-1433032309_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-00996100-1433032328_thumb.jpg

I couldn't tell, speaking for myself Jesse, just by looking at the pics without a frame of reference, like the plans or a picture of the finished product. But there in is maybe the answer you need. Maybe check a couple other builds, and check your plans for the right shape. I know the bend at the stern of my ship is pretty abrupt right there. 

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Hi Jessie,

Check the 1st page of Augie's Syren build. There's a some pics that show that area before and after planking. The one of the planking before Augie painted the area really shows the sweep of those planks nicely.

You are doing great and I'm glad you are feeling better!

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...

Here's the link if you haven't already found it Jesse.  Some really good pics.   http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/46-us-brig-syren-by-augie-ms-kit-164-completed/page-1#entry338

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Thanks for the link. From those pics & the plan sheet it looks like maybe the curve up should start just past the bulkhead a little more instead of farther up where mine starts at now? Maybe not? I'm having a hard time seeing the same thing on a flat sheet of paper & on the 3D wood hull in a spot like this. Going to try to copy the outline from the plan & cut out a pattern I can hold closer to the hull to see if I can eyeball it better that way.

post-6826-0-00876400-1433036495_thumb.jpg

This area is a little tricky Jesse.  Those planks that rise up to meet the counter both bend and twist at the same time.  If you follow Chuck's method, you'll be laying the wales and several planks below the wales before you get there.  Once you do, the shape of the wales will guide you somewhat.  And you may need some stealers.

The good news is that your fairing looks good.  If you look closely at my log, you'll see a slight bump in the area where the planks pass the last bulkhead.  I was able to correct it later with sanding but only because of the copper and black paint on the hull.  Looks like you won't have that problem.

Take your time here my friend.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Jesse, a great question to which I also devoted a lot of time and energy on my 'Jason', but could never prove definitively.  Looking at a variety of pictures as best I could, I came to the conclusion that there should be a smooth inflection at the transition from the planking of the hull to the lower counter on the 'faster' single decked ships - I'd lean more to the angle in the last picture than the first.  The more vertical transition in your first picture seems to be more appropriate for ships of the line.  Just my opinion from looking at lots of pictures and having to work through the same problem...I could be completely wrong!

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Hi Jesse,

Build looks great and if you don't mind I'll also follow along. There still seems to be some room at the back!

Most importantly, I am very glad to hear you are feeling better...long may it continue!

Cheers,

Nigel.

Current Build Logs: H.M.S. Triton Cross SectionUSF Confederacy Model Shipways

Completed Log: Red Dragon Artesania Latina

Gallery: Red Dragon: Artesania Latina

Member:  Nautical Research Guild

Thanks for the input everyone. After cutting out a pattern from the plan sheet I came to the same conclusion that Jason did & re-shaped it to slope up more gradually from the last bulkhead so the planks will end up being shaped more like the last pic.

Didn't get much done today. Someone showed up unexpectedly & kept me from my much planned work day in the shipyard. I did get the gun ports painted in preparation for the next step.

post-6826-0-06691700-1433209754_thumb.jpg

any step forward is a step in the right direction  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Made a plank bending jig with wood pegs for the wales & planks. As I was about to glue on the upper wale I stopped & thought about how can I be absolutely sure I have it in all the right places the whole length of the ship?

I looked at the instruction manual showing 7 planks above the upper wale & where they are at each gun port. I made a jig out of plank ends to measure at each gun port to make sure everything would line up where it is supposed to. I realized something was way off - my plank jig didn't line up the way the pictures in the manual did. I couldn't squeeze 7 planks in that space. Figured out that I was using 5/32" pieces for my jig. Only the wale is 5/32". The planks are 1/8". Correcting this I made a new jig with the 1/8" pieces. Now It all fit right. This jig helped me get the correct marking for the upper wale correct. Good thing too as it showed I would have been off a little bit in the middle sections.

Glued & clamed upper wales on each side.

post-6826-0-22313300-1433279385_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-28448200-1433279416_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-91420300-1433279440_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-59475100-1433279457_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-48389900-1433279477_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-91838000-1433279496_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-71990200-1433279513_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-08698300-1433279533_thumb.jpg

Well done.  The old adage 'measure twice, cut once' holds true.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

It doent look that bad at all.  I would take a bit more off so the bend isnt as sharp where the plank tuck up into the lower counter..

See these pics if it helps.  Couldnt find any of the stern unpainted.

Chuck

DSC01632.gif

sterndone1.gif

sterndone2.gif