JesseLee

Syren by JesseLee - Model Shipways - scale: 1:64

Thanks Piet! 

There is an awful lot of fine dust and sawdust all over the whole thing. Doing some rigging yesterday and noticed how much of it is on deck and around the guns and their tackle. It has caught the sawdust from other mini projects here and there because this is the on;y spot in the house for anything I work on. Going have to get some of those cans of dusting spray or something.

55 minutes ago, JesseLee said:

There is an awful lot of fine dust and sawdust all over the whole thing. Doing some rigging yesterday and noticed how much of it is on deck and around the guns and their tackle. 

Do you have a small compressor and airbrush? If so, that should blow the dust off. if not, like you said, the aerosol cans used for dusting computer components will work. Just be careful not to blow away and lose small components that may not be securely glued down.

Jesse, it seems to me that I have come across a MSW log that showed a light weight dust cover.  It was just a light weight wood frame with a clear plastic film stretched over it.  It was easily removable, so whenever he was done with his ship for the day, he just put the cover over it.  Of course, the aerosol cans would be simpler and cheaper, so to each his own I guess.  If I can recall where I saw it I'll let you know so you can decide if it's something that would interest you. 

Got the royal yards on. Will add some pics soon. Noticed for the 3rd or 4th time I see I still don't have enough blocks and .008 running rigging. Order on the way from Syren Ship Model Co. Everything on hold till it gets here.

Jesse

that happens quite a lot in kits,  especially if your adding extra lines that the instructions and diagrams don't show.   cripe.....one kit I have doesn't show double blocks,  but I know some were used......so I'm adding them in.  of course,  that will also add to the amount of single blocks as well ;)   it's madness I tell you!!!!!.....shear madness!   so glad to hear your still making progress.......I hope you are well :) 

Thought I was ready for the Spritsail Yard but after examining the plans and my model I see I missed a few lines like the Fore Royal Braces.  Did this, added a few more rope coils and did some more dusting. Found that a very soft bristle flat modelers paintbrush works well at dusting the lines, yards and tight places on the deck.  

Here are some pics. Having a hard time showing all this rigging. The black background shows the running rigging well. Sorry for all the clutter, have plans to move my work area to another room for more space but that wont happen till long after this build.

Jesse

rig5.jpg

rig4.jpg

rig3.jpg

rig2.jpg

rig1.jpg

Goodness, that's a lot of beautiful work represented in one model. It looks totally busy. Makes me appreciate the knowledge and skill the old sailors must have had to work and maintain a ship like that.

Got out the anchors supplied with the kit. They are very pitted, not the same thickness and have spots of missing metal, and this is after some burnishing to see if it was possible to use them. There is no way O can use these.

anc1.jpg

anc2.jpg

anc3.jpg

anc4.jpg