Syren by JesseLee - FINISHED - Model Shipways - scale: 1:64

Thank you everyone for all the kind comments & for all the likes!

I changed tree nailing methods. Instead of using toothpicks like I did on the outer hull I went with using a filed syringe needle. I didn't want the tree nails to stand out & look darker on the deck. It worked pretty well, got the results I wanted. I did have a problem with it actually pulling the plug out sometimes & I had to go back over it & fill in where that happened.

post-6826-0-86035300-1442674296_thumb.jpg

Current build: Syren : Kit- Model Shipways

Side project: HMS Bounty - Revel -(plastic)

On hold: Pre-owned, unfinished Mayflower (wood)

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

That method made for a real nice result Jesse!  Well done! Gonna have to log that one in the old memory-banks.  :)

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Fantastic job you did on the deck JesseLee, bravo.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Soaked & curved wood strips for the waterways.

post-6826-0-47077700-1443063317_thumb.jpg

Past builds: Scottish Maid - AL- 1:50, USS North Carolina Battleship -1/350  (plastic),   Andromede - Dikar (wood),   Yatch Atlantic - 14" (wood),   Pirate Ship - 1:72 (plastic),   Custom built wood Brig from scratch - ?(3/4" =1'),   4 small scratch builds (wood),   Vietnamese fishing boat (wood)   & a Ship in a bottle

Made jig for sanding waterway strips triangle shaped.

post-6826-0-06134400-1443063419_thumb.jpg

Sanded waterways to the right shape.

post-6826-0-24337600-1443063526_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-44255000-1443063545_thumb.jpg

Got all those nicks in the sides filled in & re-painted. Glued waterways in place. The deck got 2 thin coats of golden oak stain.

post-6826-0-14334500-1443063870_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-17314700-1443063912_thumb.jpg

That's a nice looking deck Jesse!  Good job on those waterways.  I like the sanding jig you made for that.  :dancetl6:

Cheers

GEORGE

MgrHa7Z.gif

Don't be bound by the limits of what you already know, be unlimited by what you are willing to learn.

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Jesse, what did you use to cut the sanding jig, a router bit?

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Thanks George & Sal.

Ken, I actually just used a small triangle needle file. Did it by hand.

Very innovative on the sanding jig JesseLee.  Deck and waterways look marvy.

Cheers,

Piet, The Flying Dutchman.

"Your greatest asset is not the quantity of your friends , rather the quality of your friends."  (old Chinese proverb)

Current Builds: Hr. Ms. Java 1925-1942

VOC Ship Surabaya

Planned Builds: Young America Diorama - scale 1:3000

Future Builds: KPM ship "MS Musi."  Zuiderzee Botter - scale 1:25. VOC Jacht in a 6" lamp,  Buginese fishing Prauw.  Hr. Ms. Java - Royal Navy Netherlands Cruiser.

Completed Builds:   Hr. Ms. O16 Submarine

Hr. Ms. O19 - Submarine Royal Navy Netherlands

Ship Yard Diorama with Topsail schooner -

Friendship Sloop Gwenfra

Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack    

Golden Hind - Cutte Sark (both not in this forum)

Thanks Piet!

Beginning to build jig for stamping the copper plates...

post-6826-0-87308800-1443454361_thumb.jpg

Edited by JesseLee

After making the jig somehow glue flowed in & filled one of the small openings that the copper strips slide through. Didn't want to tear it apart & rebuild it so I tried to figure out a way to cut out the opening again. I found this old underwire from a bra I saved out of the dryer a long time ago ( you never know what use you might come up for stuff later on). I filed one end to a very sharp chisel edge. Jabbed it in over & over till it cut through. Worked pretty good!

I've noticed that a large majority of my pics have a pinkish hue to them. I've got to do something different with my lighting. I'm using an old aquarium light over my work bench. The old bulb must be emitting more of the red light spectrum. It isn't as noticeable to the eye but the camera picks it up too much.

post-6826-0-82167900-1443832973_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-21405300-1443833009_thumb.jpg

Making the stamps for the copper plates....

post-6826-0-95026000-1443833350_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-68955900-1443833369_thumb.jpg

wonderful progress Jesse........deck looks superb!   you've done some very nice work  ;)   looking forward in seeing how the plate jig works  :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Great looking build so far! 

I will be following along as I have one of these in the queue to be built eventually, so it will be nice to take some notes as you go through the process and file them away with the ships binder I have going.

Current build: MS Sultana; Corel Endeavour

Previous builds: MS Phantom

Under the bench: MS Syren; MS Bluenose II

Started stamping out some of the copper plates

post-6826-0-73131300-1444520490_thumb.jpg

Looking good Jesse. Great jig/fixture for the copper plates.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Just checking out your build - the Syren is one of my favorites. Nice, precise work on the deck.

- Bug

Thanks Ken & Bug!

While working on the copper plating I have finally put the cap rails on. I wanted to test the limits some so instead of piecing them or cutting them out to shape I tried soaking & bending 1/4" strips. Not the usual way to try to do that but I just wanted to see if it could be done. It can, took more than one soak & bending.  The strips still wanted to straighten out some so I drilled holes & held the rail down in place with wood pegs & glue. Even though I did make this work, I wouldn't recommend it. It did make the wood buckle & it took some wood filler & sanding to make it flat. Then added the smaller molding strip & grooved it using a small triangle file & a folded piece of fine sandpaper.

post-6826-0-32003600-1445131026_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-75210000-1445131041_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-55889300-1445131058_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-39089000-1445131079_thumb.jpg

post-6826-0-29320500-1445131101_thumb.jpg

Hi Jesse

I was just thinking, have you ever thought about using Flexible Beech.

You can bend that wood any shape you like ( well almost ).

Denis.

Denis, I would love to try it along with some various other wood types but currently don't have the funds for ordering much of anything so I'm stuck with left over scraps from previous builds & whatever I can pick up at the local Hobby Lobby store which is nothing but Basswood which is what I used here. I have heard so many sing the praises of Pear, Holly, etc. & now the Flexible Beech. Ahhh, maybe some day, till then I can dream!

Hi Jessie!

You can make wood strips bend to almost any shape with water and heat. Although probably not the safest (or smartest!) thing to do, I have bent damp wood with a bare light bulb. You need to constantly move the wood slightly in the area to be bent to avoid scorching, and it will become pliable and require very little force to bend in any direction. A safer way is to put a bare bulb inside a thin wall pipe and bend the wood over the pipe. I know folks that have bent acoustic guitar sides this way. It's low tech and works well. If you do the bare bulb, definitely wear eye protection. I've never had a bulb explode, but it could happen. The wood should be damp enough to sizzle and should be re wetted with a spray bottle if it stops sizzling to prevent scorching. The walnut planking on my whaleboat was actually bent that way.

Keep up the great work!

-Buck

Current build: AL Morgan's Whaleboat (1st build)

Kits in the ships locker: I cannot confirm nor deny that there may be a few kits in there...