Polarskute Fram by BNoah- Scale 1:100 as she appeared for Rould Amundsen's 1910-1912 South Pole Expedition - Finished

July 24, 2015

LOOSE MAST RIGGING

I have completed the loose rigging of the Fram's three masts.  Progress is slow, as the summer season seems to be full of diversions.  I need to decide if I want to tighten the running rigging before I step the masts or not.  While I ponder this, I'm working on the deadeye lanyards for the masts.  I've adapted my "loom" so that it can be temporarily held in place while the deadeye rigging is rove (is this usage correct?).  I seem to find time only to complete the lanyards for one mast per week as my OA and carpal tunnel seem to act up as I pinch tweezers.  But it feels good to make progress, even if slow.

post-19110-0-97789200-1437778323_thumb.jpg

post-19110-0-17078600-1437778368_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

August 11, 2014

FINISH FOR DISPLAY STAND

Thinking ahead, I'm starting to toy with ideas for a display stand for the Fram build.

About 45 years ago a friend of mine was making split products from the stumps of 2000 year old redwoods near Eureka, California.  He cast many aside because their curley grain were not considered suitable for roof shakes.  I took a few, not because I had a use for them, but because I liked the look of the grain.  About 15 years ago, another friend planed this slab for me so that it is now about a 1/2 inch thick and about 24 x 9 in dimension (13 mm x 23 cm x 61 cm). The slab has oxidized but should lighten up with sanding. 

When properly treated, the curly grain looks like a rolling sea.  My problem is this, once sanded, what treatment do I use to bring out the grain and make it "pop?"  A couple of friends have suggested tongue oil or shellac.  I don't want to over do my labor on this but I only have one change to do this right and so would welcome any suggestion.

Does anyone out there have wood finishing experience and can recommend a treatment that would accomplish my purpose? 

The first photo below is the entire slab and although it is un-sanded, you get a sense from the sheen of the rolling nature of the curley redwood grain.

The second photo is a close-up of the edge.  While redwood is fairly soft, this slab represents a little less than a century of growth, so it has good structural integrity.

post-19110-0-23028400-1439318192_thumb.jpg

post-19110-0-32065600-1439318254_thumb.jpg

You might ask that here:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/forum/21-painting-finishing-and-weathering-products-and-techniques/   so that more eyes get a look at it.    I can't answer as I have no idea.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Bilge Rat,

Thank you.  This is an excellent link.  I've browsed through its earlier posts and tung oil seems to be the winner.  However, none seem to address the redwood issue so I will repost to your suggested link.

BNoah

• 4 weeks later...

STEPPING THE MASTS

September 5, 2015

I've stepped the main and mizzen masts.  There will no problems, but as usual, the shrouds and ratline knots give me fits.  I wonder if I'd started this 40 years ago if I would have been steadier and achieved a better look.  It is hard to see, but I did place the bridge with the mizzen.  Perhaps a subsequent posting will show it better.  I will have to  place the railings on the main deck before placing the foremast.  Otherwise I may not be able to work behind the shrouds.

All-in-all, while not a museum quality model, I'm feeling good about it.  I'll be happy when it is done and feel a sense of accomplishment, but I'll be sad too I think, knowing it will be the last build I'll ever do.  Guess it is time to start looking for a Chapter of the Sons of Norway who may want it.

Progress will slow now through the end of the year.  Nebraska football starts today.  Go Huskers!

post-19110-0-90888200-1441477113_thumb.jpg

Can you retrofit your tools with 'fatter' handles to make holding them easier?

Hi BNoah

Druxey took the words right outta my mouth. I was trying to think of what options you may have, but perhaps an occupational therapist may be able to advise you?

Good luck and all the best!

Cheers

Patrick

Edited by Omega1234

• 2 weeks later...

MORE DETAILS COMPLETED

September 17, 2015

The fore deck railings and the Fram's name plate have been completed and installed.  The bridge is also visible in this view.  The side lights have also been constructed and are visible to the right of the snips next to the foam dry dock. 

post-19110-0-71311100-1442517857_thumb.jpg

Hello BNoah,

your "Fram" is looking very nice, also all those lovely Fitting out Details...

Nils

Edited by Mirabell61

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

• 4 months later...

STEPPED FOREMAST

January 21, 2016

It has been a long hiatus of four months since my last posting.

Late last September I set the Fram aside in my garage workshop and placed a paper dust cover over her as I prepared for a trip to the San Juan Islands in Washington State.  When I returned three weeks later I was dismayed to discover that some vermin had broken fittings on the un-stepped foremast and damaged completed rigging on the model.  It really put me off because it meant I had to undo some hard work to be able to make the repairs.  I just couldn't face it.  It dates me, but I was just bummed out.

I set her aside inside the house and have concentrated on the holidays and grandchildren.

Last week I made the repairs, and have now completed stepping the fore and snow masts & rigging them as shown in the picture below.  Next I'll complete the ship's rigging and mount the ship's four boats.

Tomorrow I'll go see "In the Heart of the Sea."  I've put that off too long too.

post-19110-0-44341900-1453433815_thumb.jpg

An excellent recovery, Noah.  I think "bummed out" wouldn't describe it, though. From my end, there would be more angst.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I just came across your log Noah and really am impressed with what you have done and can sympathize with hand tremors.  Every now then my hands start to cramp up.  The last time I ran the sheer at work my hands cramped on me and it was torture completing the job, 

David B

• 3 weeks later...

COMPLETE but not DONE

February 9, 2016

I've completed the build!  

The standing and running rigging has been completed and the ship's boats have been slung.  The Norwegian flag has been raised so it must be complete.  But she isn't really done until I've prepared the display stand.  I'll turn my attention to that next.

post-19110-0-30078800-1455054354_thumb.jpg

post-19110-0-34849300-1455054382_thumb.jpg

TESTING WOOD TREATMENTS

February 11, 2016

I've taken the redwood blank (see my August 11, 2015 posting and the first photo image below), sanded it (second image) and on the back tested three wood treatments.  From left to right they are:  a satin urethane finish recommended by a wood working specialty shop in Sacramento, Tung oil, and Danish oil.  None of them bring out the "curly" nature of the wood grain as I had hoped.  Unfortunately, the photo images do not give a "real" color. 

I will set this aside for a few days and think about how I am to proceed.

post-19110-0-46610000-1455397501_thumb.jpg

post-19110-0-19947300-1455397527_thumb.jpg

post-19110-0-05687000-1455397553_thumb.jpg

Depending on scale you might want to much grain definition.  That is why I usually do tests on planks that have been cut to length and width.

Edited by dgbot

dgbot,

Thank you for your comment, but I want to understand your suggestion.

I chose a curly redwood because I thought the wood, if treated correctly would result in a sense of a rolling sea.  The plank you see is the back side of the piece I intend on using as the base for the model support.

The "curliness" of the grain seems not to be coming through strongly although the other grain does.  Do you think this much grain overpowers the model?  I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks,

bnoah

If this is going to be your base then my advice would be to experiment and go with you like.  If the wood is going on your model then I think it would stand out to much.

David B

Noah,

Try some sanding sealer first.  Redwood is pretty porous.   I'm finding that Min-Wax's Wipe-on-Poly make the wood pop.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

COMPLETE & DONE

February 15, 2016

I'm finished and she is mounted on her display board.  Done, done, done.

I want to thank all of you who have offered encouragement and suggestions throughout this build.  You buoyed my spirits at some low periods (definitely a plus of belonging to this forum has been the support) and offered key ideas at others.  Nic Damuck of BlueJacket has my particular thanks for going above and beyond in answering parts questions for me.

I know I said that this was my last effort at scratch model ship building, but , , , if I could find a good plan set or even photographs of the interior of Shackleton's James Caird, I just might try again.

post-19110-0-16948400-1455579762_thumb.jpg

Noah,

She looks great on the board.  The board looks darn good.

On the Caird... did you contact the James Caird Society?

There also this:

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10212-the-alexandra-shackleton-at-the-anmm/

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds: