Will Everard by Izzy Madd - Billing Boats

Looks good izzy- strange seeing "will" in a planked finish :)

Keith

I suppose it must be odd for those of you who have only seen it done as per the original. But I like the look and the line between the two works well I think. As they are only butted.

Ongoing builds,

SCutty Sark Revell 1/350 (Mini Nannie)

Cutty Sark Airfix 1/130 (Big Sis)

Will (Everard) Billings 1/65 but with wooden bottom, because I can

To me it seems that wood and you recognize each other as old friends

Go on

In progress:

CUTTY SARK - Tehnodidakta => scratch => Campbell plans

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-1#entry64653

Content of log :

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/2501-cutty-sark-by-nenad-tehnodidakta-scratched-campbells-plans/page-62#entry217381

Past build:

Stella, Heller kit, plastic, Santa Maria, Tehnodidakta kit, wood, Jolly Roger Heller kit, plastic

To me it seems that wood and you recognize each other as old friends

Go on

Hi Nenad,

Yes since the age of 11 when I was first given a piece of wood to make a pencil sharpener with. Which I've still got unused. We've been inseparable. I think that if it wasn't for the fact that when I cut myself and it's still red. I would swear I had sawdust instead of blood. But as we are often called I've a heart of oak and a brain to match. When ever I see wood being painted for the sake of it I think. "Why make it from wood" if it's a mix same as Will should have been then fine your covering the mix. But if I can get away with the changes I will. Have you seen the new stand for Mini Nannie. And waiting in the wings is the massive 1.2 metre long Billings CS. Should be fun. As well as the 1.1 metre Heller Victory and th billings Santa Maria and the billings Marie-Jeanne. That me sorted til Christmas . Just don't know which century . Hope all well for you and yours. As much fun and thought changing yours is don't neglect your feelings. That's what family and friends are for. Best wishes

Ongoing builds,

looking good Izzy.  yea......you might have a little repair work to do,  but what stayed looks pretty darn good!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Repairs all done and dusted and works started on the other hull now. Just reached the point where I need to loose a planks width so might take a couple more minutes. :-) as I'll have to strop the knife... The n it's the base which once the plank nearest the centre is done as it curves inward violently at the bow. But then they are all straight so things move very fast. Especially using deck planks as the are so thin and supple. So by the weekend hopefully I should be ready to bring the game of two halves together at last. And get some pics up on her. So excitement building. All I need then is a 1/65 sized bottle of bubbly to crack on the hull. I thought I'd get Naniie over from the CS to do the honours as she's about the right scale.

Ongoing builds,

just tell her to leave the tail at home  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400

just tell her to leave the tail at home ;)

As she's had a slight memory loss and forgotten where she's put her prosthetic hand. As the moulding was short by one hand. She'll be leaving it at home

I did have one thought though I hope don't end being remembered as the one with the "planked Willy" or the one with the "wooden Willy" just my warpped mind

It all right for the likes of Nenad at least he can blame Google translate . But English is my only language and I still can't spell right. That the gods for dyslexia. That and the insanity of having brought up three kids is my excuse for my lack of ability to spell words. And the occasional tot of course. Nothing to excess though just a bottle or two...

Edited by Izzy Madd

Ongoing builds,

note to self........ :ph34r:

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:

note to self........ :ph34r:

Don't know quite what you are hinting at there Popeye.‽ but I still like it

Ongoing builds,

Question for you.

If you could buy a fully working teak and copper block with becket with a pulley diameter how much would you pay?

Obviously the quality would affect prices but as a ball park figure for one 4mm x 2.5mm x 2mm single working pulley with copper pulley steel or copper pin and tied becket?

This is purely out of interest as the idea is only just out of the concept stage and it's no point going further if it cost say £2 to make but you would only pay 50p. Any courency will do also prices for double and triple blocks please

Or prices without becket as well

Edited by Izzy Madd

Ongoing builds,

• 2 weeks later...

Ahoy Me Harties,

A warm welcome from captain screwy squirrel.

As we've had naked ladies over on the other blog. Not for the faint hearted. I thought it was about time for the gentlemen to put in an appearance. Although it's a slightly sticky point if that's possible as all boats are female how can we have a male‽...

Still here he is Wooden Willy. Sporting the latest fashion in wooden bottoms and brand new never been seen before straight out of the test lab black pinstripes. And not forgetting the magic elixir. Still under high security that one. But if you want the recipie for the caulking just send me your name and address written on the back of a signed blank cheque, in pencil and don't press down to hard. And I might just remember to send you the ingredients.

So here he/she is... Drum roll please

During the operation

post-18378-0-25122900-1433804874_thumb.jpg

Post op

post-18378-0-11376700-1433804903_thumb.jpg

And after a full recovery and new coat

post-18378-0-59428600-1433804976_thumb.jpg

Please don't beg too much one can only cope with two or three hours at a time.

Signed photos will be sent in a plain brown wrapper. If you pay me enough otherwise they'll be in a clear plastic bag...

And the orientation of photos is curtsy of Apple inc. and design for those in the Southern Hemisphere

Edited by Izzy Madd

Ongoing builds,

post-18378-0-20747900-1433882984_thumb.jpg

Valar dohaeris

For a friend...

Edited by Izzy Madd

Ongoing builds,

Has anyone any suggestions as to what I can use to replace these hideous life belts Billing give you?

And by suggestions I mean ones you tell the vicar. Please.

Ongoing builds,

If doing a small model at a large scale then a couple of quid a pop would be o.k.- however if buying them to rig a full rigged ship then the price would be prohibitive.

So say 25p each would be about right then...

Only there only costing me 2.75p to make.

Ongoing builds,

That would be a good price as working blocks are normally a bit more expensive if memory serves me right.

Keith

Thanks as I say it's just a concept at the moment but as I would need so many for my other builds I'll be able to see if it's viable in bulk.

Ongoing builds,

Quick question

Has anyone one on here ever tried using a "tatting" shuttle for rigging?

Ongoing builds,

Haven't ever used a tatting shuttle for rigging, but I have used a crochet hook. Meeanwhile your thread caught my eye as I just litterally inherited the Billings Will Everard from a freind who passed away. He was in the airforce and spent 9 years stationed in England and married English also. The Will was in his collection of kits and his widow asked if I would build it in trade for some model train kits. I also agreed to build a Mamoli Halifax which I am now working on. Anyways Looks like I'll have to do some research on the ship and see why he was worthy of a Billings kit. Know he was steel I think I'll overplate the hull with plastic card to simulate the steel. Might be a fun project. Bill.

Edited by reklein

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

Haven't ever used a tatting shuttle for rigging, but I have used a crochet hook. Meeanwhile your thread caught my eye as I just litterally inherited the Billings Will Everard from a freind who passed away. He was in the airforce and spent 9 years stationed in England and married English also. The Will was in his collection of kits and his widow asked if I would build it in trade for some model train kits. I also agreed to build a Mamoli Halifax which I am now working on. Anyways Looks like I'll have to do some research on the ship and see why he was worthy of a Billings kit. Know he was steel I think I'll overplate the hull with plastic card to simulate the steel. Might be a fun project. Bill.

I think the main reason for "Will" being used is the fact that it was one of the last four made for Everads transport. All named after members of the family. Sadly Enid ends up stuck on the sands a Dunkirk. While Will made it back. But also in the late seventies it was bought by OCL which was then taken over by P&O. But also had what was called the most beatuiful barge captain a young lady who still part owns it in her own right now. An if you go online you can have a virtual tour. It's a lot different to when OCL first bought it as that's when we first met as it were a friend who worked for OCL obtained two new family members that day so that me and my mother could spend the day on one of the few still remaining. And it was a typical British summers day. Cold wet and raining. And all they had for seating was long HARD benches and not enough of them.

One feature may not discover as I'm one of the few left to know but OCL wanted to rename it along with three others it intended to get. They were all going to be named along the lines of Luggit, Tuggit, Haulit and I've never been able to remember the fourth. But Lady Luck stepped in and it stayed renamed "Will" as part of the last sale agreement.great little boats and right on the cutting edge of there technology. So much so that the captains would wrap chains around the outside of the hull so as to stop loose cargoes shifting and splitting them wide open as they only had one skin on them so as they could carry more. And the deck level would be lower than the sea level. Hence the raised cargo hatches.

Ongoing builds,

Ahoy there,

It's the weekend again and what would it be without a whacky weekend quiz. No I don't means what is a tatting shuttle. I mean look at the anti quainter image below. It's in B&W on purpose you'll see why next time.

post-18378-0-96237000-1434139300_thumb.jpg

On the left is the improved version. On the right is the horrible Billing version.

So the question is which looks better and anyone who says they look the same will end up like Cap'n Flint. Oven ready...

And to save you suffering as what the difference is...

post-18378-0-92823300-1434139626_thumb.jpg

And in case your wondering that at the top is a tasting shuttle. And yes the one right is the left one and the rope is real not plastic. The turnaround is curtesy of Apple.

And unless you want to end up like Bonney here I suggest you don't give me any snide remarks either

post-18378-0-65470200-1434139806_thumb.jpg

Edited by Izzy Madd

Ongoing builds,

No snideness from me Mr. Madd. I thank you for filling me in on Wills history.  He is an honored veteran.  Bill in Idaho, where its getting hot and the fire season is upon us. Although no big fires yet.

Bill, in Idaho

Completed Mamoli Halifax and Billings Viking ship in 2015

Next  Model Shipways Syren

No snideness from me Mr. Madd. I thank you for filling me in on Wills history.  He is an honored veteran.  Bill in Idaho, where its getting hot and the fire season is upon us. Although no big fires yet.

No problem as regards Wills past any thing else I can tell you just ask. It's my first wood build but as a veteran woodchuck I'm loving it. I'm also doing the Cutty sark 1/350, in plastic, for a bit of fun. And Cutty Sark in 1/130 in plastic at the same time. It makes it more interesting...

That's as well as developing a new caulking medium. And re inventing a lost varnish. That I was assured could only be made using liquid nitrogen and or the assorted concoctions. Up to now I've made enough to make four litres when mixed. It's a dry powder. And the only chemical I've used is elbow grease. That's what education does for you.

Oh and if you want the sails the correct red shade as they always were. It used to be done with fish oil, red oxide and urine...

Nowadays they use red oxide and linseed oil. But if you don't mind taking the p**s by all means use the original recipe.

And here's hopeing you only get the sort of fires you put a nice big juicy steak on.

Ongoing builds,

I know this isn't about "Wooden Willy" but it is about vintage wood kits.

Now I know way back when kits were a little more basic than today and you had to guess or discover a lot about what and how things should be but these pictures below are taking the Mickey. And these represent the entire contents...

post-18378-0-10110000-1434655433_thumb.jpg

post-18378-0-90015500-1434655446_thumb.jpg

post-18378-0-89440600-1434655465_thumb.jpg

post-18378-0-12316300-1434655478_thumb.jpg

post-18378-0-35350300-1434655492_thumb.jpg

It makes billing look positively generous and molly coddling.

What's the next one down a log and a penknife.

And the one below that an acorn...

Ongoing builds,

As a few of the most astute of may have noticed I have a liking for the vintage kits. And as such there is always the odd missing bit or two.

Which is fine as Billing put a very handy list of ALL the bits. And an photo that has more in common with Elvis than the actual look of the bits.

So my plea is does anyone know where I can get a decent image cross referenced to the part numbers for billing. As all the ones I've found up to now seem to have been taken with a box brownie from about five miles away. And are either fuzzy or tiny or both.

So any one help please.

Oh and I've tried writing to billing no answer as usual.

Ongoing builds,

Ahoy there Cap'n Steve.

Here's another two for the price of one use of the un thought of.

Struggling to turn your brass black? Or just run out of liver of sulphur and the shops are shut?

Well fear not the nutter is here.

All you need to do is a little home cooking...

Get two or three eggs from the fridge, and boil them for at least ten minutes. Yes that's a rolling boil for ten mins. Then place the edges in a lunch box or air tight plastic bag. And trust me you want it air tight then add you nice shines brass. Probably best if you place the brass in a shallow bowl in the container of choice. Then seal the container and crush your eggs preferably as small as possible without releasing any of the gases. This is why you boil them so long to increase the hydrogen sulphide. Bad egg smell. Then leave. You may need to agitate the brass to ensure an even coverage from time to time. It should not take long for the reaction to begin. But it's up to you how long you leave them. You can if you like just mix the brass in with crushed eggs and wash them off after it depends on the size of the brass. And then take them outside to separate the smelly eggs from your nice black brass. And dispose of the eggs somewhere very safe. Like your nex doors bin.... Back in a moment with part two so don't go too far now..

Ongoing builds,

Hi, folks I'm back again. Just had to nip and get a few props for this next one.

Perhaps you are building in a bigger scale than map pins will work for or you need lots of lights. Well fear not its nutty time again.

Nip out to your. Neighbours shed and have a rummage through his tool box. You are looking for one of these.

post-18378-0-57026600-1435349560_thumb.jpg

Yes a cheap plastic screwdriver. Don't worry about him next door he'll never notice and your doing him a favour removing the cheap and nasty ACRYLIC handled tools.

I assume you can fill in the rest for your selves if not put down that nice sharp scalpel and go and have a long lie down. As all you need do is put the screwdriver in your lathe blade inside the chuck. And turn the handle down to what ever size you like and the just sand it nice and slow. Same goes for turning not to fast as the acrylic will explode. Then when you've got rid of those big scratches take out you bottle of T-cut and polish that nice new lamp to a beautiful shine.

And yes that's three tips Cap'n

Enjoy safely and remember all tips are covered by the IMO clause so don't blame me

Ongoing builds,

And seeing as it's been a while since you've heard from me here's another tip daft tip.

This is for the strong of stomach and those who can't smell.

But used to be the best way to blacken ANY MEATAL And when done this way it stays black. No amount of sanding short of an angle grinder and the only just.

In the past as now rust was an age old problem when it came to tools as was brass looking to new. Yes faking aged brass is not new either.

And before there was so much access all these fancy treatments you had two choices as regards rust oil daily. Brass wait til is tarnished.

But there was on old country method that still works today.

This is for all those feline lovers out there.

Yes cat urine. Guaranteed to Sen: anything blak as pitch. Usually done via the litter tray. But feel free to try milking a cat for it wee wee. Best way is to put you items in a mesh bag if small if not just throw them in. And wait. Within a few hours of the first contact the effects will begin but leave it as long as possible for best results.

Only real down side apart from having to retrieve the items... Smell yes even metal stinks after this so give it a good coating of some sort of varnish. The smell does go but slowly.

IMO

Ongoing builds,

Ahoy,

For those that perhaps tried it yet or don't believe it here is the result of 24 hours soaking in citric acid on 7 brand new HSS silver drill bits.

post-18378-0-69271800-1435435268_thumb.jpg

I've done this not to show but to prevent rust. As all they need is a wipe with a dry paper towel and they are done and perhaps a little soak when the coating wears off in the mean time a light covering of mineral oil if you are in a really humid place.

Ongoing builds,