Le Soleil Royal by jack.aubrey - FINISHED - De Agostini - Scale 1:70

. . continuation, let's turn to the overall views.

Now I'm approaching an less presentable activity: the preparation of all blocks and accessories related to the installation of the guns on the decks. I think it will take me a couple of weeks before I can have something to show you, after which there will be very little to get to the end.

Friendliness, Jack.Aubrey

01 P1090860.jpg[/img][/url]
y4mopblyR5dvuPt_RpwE5TJqX1ybxsiD9YSl15Oe

02 P1090859.jpg[/img][/url]
y4myAXPExMHADLd6fc9hoOnZdzSQY_KmeKNGYLrA

03 P1090856.jpg[/img][/url]
y4mI7_dO93XPJ9xkuy0buM0-eY9cuWebcBYBx1hx

04 P1090857.jpg[/img][/url]
y4mY9o_5K7O1KemvlXWkzVCRmCNJ8LC_AUXz1985

05 P1090858.jpg[/img][/url]
y4m2dqN_gNXlf7KnaFq5Y-R3yvdb3PcKn1iSevSW

Edited by jack.aubrey

many happy returns Jack

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Friday, July 11th, 2014

Having nothing new to show, while I'm preparing the single elements needed to install the guns on the deck, I propose you new images of the model . . be patient.

01 P1090865.jpg
y4mrsw-f84hnF20PZ-3EWx6vdtE0jSKDiTaYv1BN

02 P1090867.jpg
y4mhKrRAK7m-UK8wvM5Pxgk_ZYOIi_6Q2oul_Vqy

03 P1090868.jpg
y4m8Ou4h6CKYaV_7WlhAEmoqUu8bcsSDUZJSlCUR

04 P1090869.jpg
y4m6uPlES27LuI6UvBbIUuB7KSLDwhE1Jw1N8UdK

05 P1090870.jpg
y4mEIGL9SggeEdGKp4e-nTbjV6JQM_2U8BlCkUlX

Regards, Jack

Post Scriptum: thanks to all for the positive comments.

Edited by jack.aubrey

Monday, July 14th, 2014

. . new pictures coming . . included a positioning simulation of some quarterdeck guns . . the spare parts of the guns are 80% ready. Bye, Jack.

01 CAM00253.jpg
y4mCdFBR6vgetp5o42GImVc2T6JlGqqHXbhBE90q

02 CAM00254.jpg
y4me99qUfGEoaJO-xS1cizVxwQrrlCFf9YagPfQb

03 CAM00255.jpg
y4mI-YYuhXBSgxsu75YVMYeNM5qYZa8MEaSwf1vl

03 CAM00256.jpg
y4mvjRgKyO8ej6NfIUzpxljDUvc0kzVeE_Z5xi9Z

Edited by jack.aubrey

Wednesday, July 23th, 2014

Some very small evolutions on my Soleil Royal: during this week I had a lot of stupid but important thing to do and consequently I find difficult concentrate myself on this kind of work, where patience, precision and plenty of time is important.

The first image shows the gun carriages fixed on the deck. There is a brass pivot on the front side of the carriage anche the wheels are glued on the deck.
I used the bi-component epoxy and this operation has to be done in two different days.

01 CAM00272.jpg
y4mJurbhFKnE9ZgsSi9XI9buSjQeX4t3PlonxFoR

The other two images show the 8 quarterdeck guns partially rigged. The barrels are positioned only. I've fixed the termination of each rope with a drop of cyan. I'll prepare separately the "bundles" (?) of rope to be applied, in the proper position, over the rope's end.   

02 CAM00273.jpg
y4mVFcNisImUV1HmDKTedB2dcgQu35-WaMBpxARc

03 CAM00274.jpg
y4mMl8QjGJHW3OHNRUoOCBU8PbJynwJUAwTtGZzx

Kind regards, Jack.

Edited by jack.aubrey

Jack she looks factastic

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Jack she looks factastic

Thanks Kevin for your comment.

A "commodore" appreciation is always very helpful and well-accepted.

I hope to complete this task by the end of this month so that after there will remain very few things to do and I 'll can proceed with the official launching . . . Jack.

do you wish you had continued upwards and gone for the full rigged build

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Sunday, July 27th, 2014

The date of the launch is approaching. . 

I have almost completed the installation of the 12 guns that are presented here below in the classic position ready to be driven out of the gun-ports to shoot. Now only the tackle rope on the gun barrel is missing. This afternoon I have prepared two prototypes of them to determine the correct length and the most practical method for their preparation. 

To change from time to time I have prepared some special deck furnitures that are not present on the "standard" model of De Agostini and maybe even on the true ship . . . the French "sun" King is no longer here to be able to contest my choice. The gratings shown on the first picture is the first "extra" piece since remained some free space on this deck.

01 P1090874.jpg
y4mCztR-BrXDqc2D0kJXtGJUms_ErbkNnTe02RXi

I added these "removable" railings on the gandboards  in the sense that during the battle they were brought into the hold but during normal sailing gave greater security to the transit of people in this area.

02 P1090876.jpg
y4mSDCrES61MGqHO77JIM_qOiVyZVeXo2RWsZzx0

Eight guns on the quarterdeck. . not yet fixed.

03 P1090878.jpg
y4mfzVTOY81fk3Zto24KPARcsNAraCb8_qmV8J1D

Finally, another "extra" gratings in a significantly empty area: I think too much inclined to be able to put other details such as casks, boxes, etc..

04 P1090880.jpg
y4mIkV8HW7iT-wHh6ggfltAiKbWp6YKfzD8iR3ZM

To be continued in the next message. . Best regards, Jack.

Edited by jack.aubrey

i just love the colours you have used 

All the best

KEEP IT REAL!

On the build table

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

Finished     

Saturday, August 2, 2014

I finished the installation of all the guns on the open decks and, in addition, some other small detail such as casks, more pins and coils of rope.
In particular, I secured the four guns of small caliber (2 on the forecastle and 2 on the intermediate quarterdeck) in a different way. This method was often adopted for the smaller gun pieces when the ship was at sea and not ready for military action. In this way they were less bulky than the traditional method, even if less "safe". In fact, their use was almost always limited to the smaller pieces.

01 P1090883.jpg
y4moBHPSBgS9O5UQ5h176mXZmBO9_82QLWXNLyWz

Here you can see the last decoration that remained to be fixed at prow: the sort of caryatid with human head and upper body, which legs transformed into a sort of column, fixed between the cathead and the "serpe". It was glued with epoxy glue having realized that the contact points for the bonding were few and rather small. However, with this glue it is attacked rather robustly.

02 P1090884.jpg
y4mkgg6IpN3Qhf-dwq58lrzAkDZtxQxY_f23qgHA

Here are shown the eight guns on the "lower" quarterdeck.
Unlike those of the forecastle, here the guns are all of the same size. There are also a couple of barrels, for the moment only glued with the need for additional work.

03 P1090885.jpg
y4mea7TG4BWRoEQVmaWJUTawH4RdvG110yK8e4YO

The other two light guns mounted on the "intermediate" quarterdeck. rigged as their two equivalents on the forecastle. In addition, there are two "seats" I think for the exclusive use of the captain/admiral and officers, in this picture you can see only one of them because the second one is hidden by the ladder.
Again, as I have often done in the past, I remember that the color of the blue paintend elements is much altered by the use of the camera flash, in the reality it is much darker than it appears in my photos.

04 P1090886.jpg
y4mZtyiSabFYiPdMcNB6ahMGSt7RmoR3OpClwl_F

The central part of the upper gun deck. Here now there is only to fix the boats: I'm definitely considering to use a pair of pins to secure the support structure of the boats without having to use glue, leaving them removable.

05 P1090889.jpg
y4mZLTwJPYS3w09W5p-wImoKzniB_E-sAiNMr2wF

More pictures and comments are coming soon. That's all for today, Jack.Aubrey

Edited by jack.aubrey

Thanks WackoWolf, you're very kind with your comments . .

Continuation of my previous message . .

Five other new images, from different perspectives, shot the same day of my last message.

01 P1090887.jpg
y4mVpvelOeyx8OcH9xu13XwIbkvFaAoz5faZmD8e

02 P1090888.jpg
y4mSMHFujzlqgJl7Lf67Qs45KLQjKZ4Kf3udrUap

03 P1090890.jpg
y4mwcOpdXBhA7Pmy3VFk_506uYzdjk4eez9sE4mo

04 P1090901.jpg
y4m3WxGXCwwG0KQ5eRB-0d0BhWmO9QbKOiloyEW2

05 P1090893.jpg
y4m9PtX2ieht5AM8Mf4XTLB1eTa5BJ41w0Q4jTT2

Cheers, Jack.Aubrey.

Edited by jack.aubrey

Thursday, August 7th, 2014

I'm installing the anchors, perhaps the last work of a certain commitment that still remains to do. I'm still missing one anchor on the right side and then this task is over.

After several attempts to build a decent cable with the ropewalk machine starting from far, attempts that have probably identified and highlighted the point of maximum useful usage of this machine, I folded up a simple solution: I've used, on the same machine, a traditional lanyard; that is, a larger starting base and it worked. The only drawback: the cloths. I removed this annoying problem by impregnating the cable with the vinyl glue very diluted. Once dry it was a bit stiffer than they should, but gradually I made it suitable.

The color is a bit off but maybe that's okay because if the cable was immersed for a long time certainly did not have to appear as if it were new.

Regards, Jack.

01 CAM00283.jpg
y4mUrUTJkZJUD3HI7v9mXFq1_B5GKtqT-3ctX16Q

02 CAM00284.jpg
y4mOH6oMfTI4vlmIrv6f0xQagFMJff13zk8ZHFJC

03 CAM00290.jpg
y4mVBLllNAvtCRbmG1jblSslA5TC7M9KGFC10W3v

04 CAM00289.jpg
y4mbeYZwZ3H49wiq5q-ESzUNw7aqTpNyGCPMY2hS

05 CAM00282.jpg
y4miNOwDf7x83-m1VN2CtLsKBXUgmZlBGRl0EEmH

Edited by jack.aubrey

Friday, August 8th, 2014 . .

Soleil Royal Launched. .

Today I did the last activities around the Soleil Royal, and towards evening, I realized that I had really finished the model . .

After 1550 days from the yard opening, back in April 18th, 2010, now I can finally say: "I'm done" this model.

Below are some pictures I publish here but I want to limit myself to only five. I proceeded instead to open in the site "Gallery of completed models" the topic "Soleil Royal, Jack.Aubrey, 1:70, De Agostini"

>>>>> http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/gallery/album/885-soleil-royal-170-by-jackaubrey/ <<<<<

where I will publish all the pictures I shot and that I'll shoot of the finished model in the next few days. These images can be downloaded at the original size.

So with this message, I am going to close this endless building log.

However, I'll continue to follow it in case of further comments/messages that will be inserted in the future. Thank you from now on to all who were involved and who have followed me in this long adventure.

Now I will take a couple of months as a "reflection pause" even if I'm already at work from now with my computer and CAD software to design and plan my next model.

A cordial greeting, Jack.Aubrey.

01 P1090926.jpg
y4mDx2BZV8RkrWxo2NaDodWkes91wEsK8n2tONYu

02 P1090909.jpg
y4mSeUQbvvjeABp3fodSspR7gXQwnX182Bt1XHjU

03 P1090908.jpg
y4mD-9UZ27AKN7BhruvJ735otS6D8Z00VCToikAO

04 P1090907.jpg
y4m_kg3l6Fv1hOry373od1Rq0OF7Y1wG8Z8WYkSl

05 P1090906.jpg
y4m3FdGpHO16pEYVSZluznNvRghWMUuDPT48t6mx

Edited by jack.aubrey

I really enjoyed the build log, the colours seem darker (blue) on the last pictures, is this the true colour now? I think I already told it, I like how you exposed the small boats around the ship. The canon rigging is also quite original, I have never seen the small cannons like this before (well I am a beginner...). Your craftsmanship is amazing, have you already got a slight Idea what your next model will be?

. . Your craftsmanship is amazing, have you already got a slight Idea what your next model will be? . .

I'm working on a project of a french "brick de 24" of the Napoleonic wars in 1:48 scale that was captured by the Royal Navy and served as HMS.

The plans come from ANCRE and from Greenwich NMM. There were +/- 20 of these ships (with the same person who signed the projects, Francois Pestel) built by the French between 1800 and 1814 and 18 were captured by the British.

I'm collecting the individual ship histories and data and finally I'll decide the name and the ship to build.

Regards, Jack.

• 2 weeks later...
I've uploaded images of this model on 

and I've created an image gallery with the same pictures on this wonderful forum, more precisely at

Cheers, Jack.Aubrey.

Congratulations.

Le Soleil Royale is one of my dream ships. I have the Heller 1/100 version. I just don't feel like building plastic anymore, but maybe one day, when I retire and have plenty of time in my hands, I might tackle it as a side project.

Question: Does the De Agostini version came without full masts and rigging? Or is that your own version of it?

Congratulations on a superb job!!!

Ulises

There aren't but two options: do it FAST, or do it RIGHT.

Current Project Build Log: Soleil Royal in 1/72. Kit by Artesania Latina.

Last finished projectsRoyal Ship Vasa 1628; French Vessel Royal Louis 1780. 1/90 Scale by Mamoli. 120 Cannons

Future projects already in my stash: Panart: San Felipe 1/75; OcCre: Santísima Trinidad 1/90;

Wish List: 1/64 Amati Victory, HMS Enterprise in 1/48 by CAF models.

So much to build, so little time!

Question: Does the De Agostini version came without full masts and rigging? Or is that your own version of it?

Ulises,

my Soleil Royal is a "personal customisation" of the original De Agostini partswork . . .

The original kit is fully masted and rigged, including sails, although simplified. I decided this kind of presentation to keep at a reasonable size the display case.

Regards, Jack. 

• 3 years later...

Tuesday, September 5th, 2017

Today I finished restoring the images that disappeared thanks to Photobucket . .

Now all the images in this topic are visible as before.
If you discover some problems, please let me know via private message.
Thank you. Jack.Aubrey