Landlocked123

Shop music

It's actually amazing how many people listen to blues without even knowing it. A lot of what people call "rock and roll" is really blues. Even bands like Led Zeppelin are blues oriented. 

From opera to Rammstein, over Enya, Led Zepp and DPurple, slide to Dylan Donovan and CSNY, jump to Paganini and JSBach, back to Simon and Garfunkel and Pavaroti, continue with PFloyd Tangerine Drewam,Olfield and JMJar ...

Depends of day, and if I want to research particular author, style type or direction in music

On PC I have about 70GB different mp3 music, select and copy to phone and connect to little speaker in shop

post-4738-0-60597600-1431548928.jpg

Ah yes, I often listen radio drama, and talking program with articles from sociology, philosophy history etc etc

Sometimes good old classical rock is good enough, sometimes Verdy just feet well, but never silence

Edited by Nenad

I just took a look on Wikipedia and Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown died in September 2005, so of the four I mentioned earlier (including BB) only Taj Mahal is still alive. I must have missed it but my wife's favorite, Oscar Peterson is gone - 2005 I think. 

Serious bummer about the"King". I've seen him play a dozen times in the last 20years and he was amazing every single time.

He's left a huge recording library behind but he will be missed.

Best,

John

PS. Eric Clapton has a really nice tribute to BB on RollingStone.com. I would have posted the link, but I have no idea how to do that on my IPad. There are a couple of great videos as well. One is BB King and friends. It's wild. There's BB, Eric Clapton, Etta James, Gladys Knight, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Paul Butterfield, Phil Collins??, and a bunch of others. You have got to check it out!!

Edited by Landlocked123

A tune from my CCR collection I thought appropriate to this forum. A classic!

Edited by GLakie

On 5/5/2015 at 7:16 PM, mtaylor said:

The "finest" concert I ever went to was at the Orange County Fairgrounds in '68...  250,000 people.. Quicksilver, the Dead, Country Joe... I think I recall Janis and Hendrix but for 3 days it was a who's-who of that music. 

Back in 69, if I remember correctly, a concert similar to a Woodstock was held outdoors by the UW Platteville (still a state university at that time) campus (sort of a backwater of Wi.) and was held for one day.  This concert, surprisingly enough, featured: The First Edition,  The Allman Brothers Band, Alice Cooper (complete with his Boa),  Blood, Sweat and Tears, and Mitch Rider with his Detroit Wheels. :o

This was at a time when they were quite popular.  Being a student there, I was somewhat shocked to see that our school was able to put this concert together.  I am sure that they were all probably on country wide college town tours, but just the same the student body and alot of area residents were all thrilled to have such popular groups available! :dancetl6: 

Wow Jim, I remember buying albums, then replacing them with cassettes then replacing  them with CD's.  Most albums I had to buy 3 or 4 times to keep up with technology.  I also went from an LP Player to a "boombox" to a Sony Walkman.  I just kept buying modern technology.  Looks like you embraced the past and hung on to what you had. Nice job. Would love to check out your place just to hear the songs the way they should be played.

40 minutes ago, Worldway said:

Wow Jim, I remember buying albums, then replacing them with cassettes then replacing  them with CD's.  Most albums I had to buy 3 or 4 times to keep up with technology.  I also went from an LP Player to a "boombox" to a Sony Walkman.  I just kept buying modern technology.  Looks like you embraced the past and hung on to what you had. Nice job. Would love to check out your place just to hear the songs the way they should be played.

They are played LOUD.😁😎 My Preamp and Amps are top of the line 70’s Yamaha. 

Uriah Heep...  That brings back a lot of memories.  Some of my first kit builds were Dynaco amp, preamp and tuner.  They were all I could afford delivering pizzas in the evening while attending my first year of medical school during the day.  I still use the amp.  

Still have all my cassettes and still play all have still have the dual player with high speed dubbing, have my original turntable and my 33s have a large collection of blues from late 30s,40s,50s take better care of them than my car. Its hard to do the CD thing unless something new when you have over 1100 cassettes. Early blues, 50,60,70,80, rock, Irish folk, tribal African, Steel drum even a lot of 40s swing. Acker Bilk and his clarinet. A very large collection of Zydeco music Buckwheat Zydeco, Clifton Chenier, Rockin Sidney.

Edited by John Allen
addition

Just about anything from Joe Walsh's Greatest Hits Album.  I'm currently working in the shop to his seven minute version of The Bomber.  Ho Hum, just another guitar wizard.  Hits with the Eagles, James Gang and more solo.  Often referred to as the clown prince of rock, as just about anyone that's seen him live in concert could attest to.