HM Cutter Cheerful 1806 by Stuntflyer (Mike) - FINISHED - 1:48 scale

Very nice Mike. Wanna make a bunch more?

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thank you all for the comments and "Likes"

Sure, Rusty! I'll make you as many as you want if you will do my rope coils. :)

Mike

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

• 2 weeks later...

All of the remaining rope coils have been completed. I found this to be an exercise in patience and sticktoitiveness. Lines had to be re-tensioned and in some cases the number of belays were reduced to remove unnecessary bulk around the belaying pins. To avoid disturbing the surrounding rigging, I used tweezers, one in each hand, as fingers to re-tensioned and belay. A tiny drop of PVA was used under the pinrail to hold the rope while belaying. With six belaying pins on each side, the coils sometimes overlap slightly. Making seven instead of eight holes in the pinrail would allow for spacing the pins further apart. However, I'm not sure if Chuck would agree. Here are a few photos of the completed work.

_DSC6842.thumb.jpg.022ac8a3f3638d31907026cbecc1cff8.jpg_DSC6843.thumb.jpg.465eae20b91a34e784702884c3754e07.jpg_DSC6844.thumb.jpg.c29de20a5912a0a05be0564dfb147de0.jpg

I'm really enjoying making the anchors from Chuck's kit. The slot in the stocks were first deepened leaving a thickness .045". If you don't do this, the air gap between the two stocks will be too wide. I used some sticky back sandpaper adhered to a 3/32" strip to achieve the required depth. I found that there was better control if I moved the stocks across the sandpaper rather than the other way around.

_DSC6852.thumb.jpg.5abc6822ce58d85aea92155ee26d240c.jpg

I finally had a chance to test out a milling machine that I acquired recently from a fellow member. I had never used one before, so I was anxious to give it a go. It made simple work of making inline holes for the #76 treenails. I used Chuck's method (chapter 1 of the monograph) which uses a pencil to outline each hole along with a neutral toned filler. Next, the rings, bands and then those fiddly buoys. Weathering will be done later after all the parts are completed.

_DSC6854_sfw.thumb.jpg.05e738fec7b1c01499719f3b3cc35418.jpg

Mike

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Thank you so much for the comments and "Likes".

Tom: The tri-state meeting in New London, CT is an event that I should attend. I will look into it and would most likely bring Cheerful along.

Mike

Looking really good, Mike.  I love your rope coils.  Excellent!

Ken

NO PIRACY 4 ME! (SUPPORTING CHUCKS' IDEA)

Current Build:  

Washington 1776 Galley

Pilot Boat Mary of Norfolk

Completed Builds:

Continental Boat Providence   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Continental Ship Independence  (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Rattlesnake   (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build)

Armed Virginia Sloop  (from Completed Gallery)

Fair American (from Completed Gallery)  (from MSW Build Log)

MemberShip Model Society of New Jersey

Nautical Research Guild

Work continues on the anchors and their rigging. I used Grimy Black and Rusty Red powders for weathering. The bands are made from striping tape cut to a width of approx .070. Puddening was done with .008 Dark Brown, close to 80 wraps each. Anchor and buoy rigging are .018 Light Brown. Speaking of buoys, that's next. ;)

_DSC6864.thumb.jpg.ad478799900cdc9a277f083d2225efca.jpg_DSC6866.thumb.jpg.c88b41612069607a51fd52c3aa048956.jpg

DSC_5543_sfw.thumb.jpg.d645209e1cf4761605c93ea694dc52c4.jpg

Mike

Beautiful job, Mike.

Maury

Mike your workmanship is first rate . Also your pictures will be a great reference if I ever get there!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thank you all for your comments and "Likes". I'm off to the United States Naval Academy today in what should be an eye opening experience. Other SMSNJ club members will be there as well. Very excited!

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

I completed the entryway stanchions and the flag over the weekend.

_DSC6968.thumb.jpg.b543acfd04d3d107493e7939aca13fb8.jpg

_DSC6965._sfwjpg.thumb.jpg.db02df828df8ef29a284f7ef6d8b5cbf.jpg

This basically completes the model except for the stand and case. In the end I decided not to do the buoys. I did make them, but wasn't all too happy about how they looked.

It's been a little over two years since the start and I have enjoyed the journey tremendously. I have learned so much and also made new friends along the way. A special thank you to Chuck for the tremendous support that he has given me since I started this project. The many things that I learned from him will surely be useful on future builds.

Speaking of which, stay tuned. .

Mike

Congratulations, Mike, on a very fitting conclusion to constructing your very fine model: you've now hoisted your own flag! And a very nice one it is too. Thanks for sharing your build with us.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Thanks guys for the comments and "Likes".

I should have the new build log up and running fairly soon. I will paste a link here when all is ready. It's gonna be fun!

Mike

Congratulations on the completion of your Cheerful.  Your craftsmanship is top notch.  I have enjoyed following this build log and I look forward to your new build.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

Beautifully done, Mike.   Congratulations on her.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello everyone,

My new build log can now be found here. https://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/16300-the-hayling-hoy-1760-by-stuntflyer-mike-148-scale/

Mike

Mike,

Congratulations!  This looks great!!  You definitely set the bar high for the rest of us Cheerful builders.  Any chance you'll do a photo shoot of the finished build and post more photos? :)

Erik