HM Cutter Cheerful 1806 by Stuntflyer (Mike) - FINISHED - 1:48 scale

Thank you for the comments and "Likes"

Brian - The photo below shows pretty much how I set things up. The wood spacer is 3/32" deep with a tab on each end to help keep it flat on the deck. The pins are about 1/16" long and filed flat and to equal lengths. Once the gun is aligned it's only a matter of creating the indents into the masking tape. When pressing down I found that a rocking motion (side to side) works better than just pressing straight down. The indent will be very shallow yet still visible for drilling. To allow a little wiggle room I made the holes a few thousandths oversize.

Honestly though, It's a time consuming process that one might find unnecessary. Though not shown in the previous post, I have since re-positioned the two guns at the stern that were slightly off center to the port openings. The pins were removed and they were just glued to the deck without any issues.

post-8351-0-84086400-1466193739.jpg

Edited by Stuntflyer

Current build - Sloop Speedwell 1752 (POF)

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Member: Ship Model Society of New Jersey

• 3 weeks later...

I guess I have been slackening off a bit lately, but I have somehow managed to work on a number of different Cheerful projects at the same time. Here is the first update.

The carriages were rigged with the 3mm blocks. I still need to finish off the rope and do the coils. The rudder was scratch built. The straps were made from Chucks kit, using the thinner laser board and not the thicker wood straps. I used 24 gauge wire for the nails. After trying the wire on the rudder, I decided to try and find something that didn't require painting afterwards. Remembering something I had read on one of EdT's build logs, I was able to find black monofilament on Amazon with the suitable thickness. The hull strap nails were done with the mono. I found it much easier to work with, at least for me.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00PA9MRFC/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. In addition, the tiller was completed. I used striping tape (razor cut on glass to 1/16") for the straps around the tiller. This tape was easy to work with, has a flat finish and is hi-tack as well. Both parts will be permanently attached after I finish the carriage rigging

post-8351-0-55520600-1468442524_thumb.jpg

post-8351-0-96845000-1468442766.jpg

post-8351-0-42041300-1468443092.jpg

Edited by Stuntflyer

Completed builds - 18 Century Longboat (POB) , HM Cutter Cheerful  1806 (POB), HMS Winchelsea 1764 (POB)

Thank you all for the comments and "Likes".

To make the mast coat a boxwood disc was centered to the face of a Dremel sanding wheel with a drop of CA, spun at fast speed while filing in the shape. Afterwards, the part was soaked in acetone to release it from the wheel. The mast sits at a 4° angle, as near as I can measure. To allow the mast to tilt, I used a round emery sanding stick grit #2 inserted thru the bottom of the mast coat. Because the stick is tapered, I was able to remove material without damaging the top of the mast coat. http://www.esslinger.com/round-emery-sanding-sticks/ A 13/32" drill was used to check the angle.

post-8351-0-70416200-1468507718.jpg

post-8351-0-36119800-1468506694.jpg

post-8351-0-32586100-1468506705.jpg

Edited by Stuntflyer

Got a few more tasks completed before I move onto completing the gun tackle.

The pumps were made from Chuck's kit and the winch was scratch built. I had a blast while working on the winch. It consists of 12 separate pieces of wood. These parts are shown here in temporary position only and will be removed before I start to work on the gun tackle. I don't trust myself working in tight areas around somewhat fragile parts.

post-8351-0-38985900-1469111485.jpg

post-8351-0-82959300-1469111492.jpg

Edited by Stuntflyer

Moving along. . . Still need to scratch the bowsprit step and then hopefully onto the bowsprit. :)

post-8351-0-98489400-1469644304_thumb.jpg

post-8351-0-66634500-1469644314_thumb.jpg

very nice and clean work Mike,

your "Cheerful" looks top...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Mike, looking super nice.  As Nils said, very clean and crisp.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hello everyone!

Just a small update. The Quoin handles are now on the carriages. They are very small measuring 3/64" wide and 1/8" long. They were turned on the Dremel from 8mm boxwood belaying pins purchased from Model Shipways (also sold by Amati). The bowsprit step is scratched using Chuck's method as a guide. The only difference being that the beam holes in the middle post were drilled oversize 3/32", thus making it easier to file the square holes on the two outer posts. Some red paint, pins and washers will be added to complete the part.

post-8351-0-39191600-1470098317_thumb.jpg

post-8351-0-95216100-1470098323_thumb.jpg

post-8351-0-60200000-1470098573_thumb.jpg

Your craftsmanship is outstanding.  I am really enjoying following your build log.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

• 2 weeks later...

Wunderbar !!!

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Thanks guys! I've been recovering from some back issues, hence the late reply.

Matt, I'm using Winsor & Newton "Crimson" red mixed with their "Burnt Umber" in a ratio of 10 to 1. For the black, I'm using Grumbacher "Mars Black". I started with the same color from W&N before switching to Grumbacher. For some unknown reason It goes on smoother and dries better than the same color from W&N.

Looking at the photos I see why you would think that I'm using Holy for the deck. Nope, the deck is Boxwood with some Wipe-on-Poly applied.

Mike

Edited by Stuntflyer

What's that old adage, "measure twice cut once". That's what I should have done while making the bowsprit. Luckily Jason over at Crown Timberyard had another stick to send me. That's my next project. Meanwhile the bowsprit step is now painted and in temporary position. I still need to weather the windlass gears, while being careful not to get any of the powder on the deck. Should be fun. B)

Matt, if your looking in, This is closer to what the deck color really looks like.

post-8351-0-04763900-1471385838_thumb.jpg

post-8351-0-09742300-1471385844_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stuntflyer

Very good choice in terms of timber and very clean work!

Edited by Captain Poison

Completed.... Charles W. Morgan,Sea Horse,USS Constitution,Virginia 1819,San Fransisco II, AL HMS Bounty 1:48

L'Herminione 1:96

Spanish Frigate,22 cannons 18th C. 1:35 scale.Scratch-built (Hull only)

Cutter Cheefull 1806 1:48 (with modifications)

Current Project: Orca (This is a 35" replica of the Orca boat from the movie Jaws)

Mike, 

Over and over I read the word precise to describe your workmanship.  So true!  To my eye there is nothing that doesn't look perfect.  On most models you can spot slight imperfections here and there if you look closely, but not on your model.  Stunningly beautiful.

I second what Mati said about the red hue you achieved.  Very nice!