Bomb Vessel Granado by Rustyj - FINISHED - 1:24 - cross-section

As good as it looked while you were building it, the finished product looks that much better. A simply beautiful piece of work Rusty. Another proud addition to your collection.

Bob

What a joy it was seeing this lovely cross-section come together.  Thanks for letting us watch.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

I want to thank you all for your kind words. It is very appreciated!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Hello Rustyj.

A most excellent build.

And has all the little finishing touches that shows yours skills and enjoyment of making it.

Well done.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Thanks Antony. Very much appreciated.

Yeah Ben I can just picture trying to stuff it in an over head. Thats not to mention the fun I'd have with the TSA.

Sir what is that you have packed in that box. Why it's a bomb......groans while prone on floor with several persons piled on top.....vessel. :o

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

And "yes those are cann...." <sound of hammers being cocked and running feet of SWAT team>

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

The finished model looks really sharp Rusty, Congratulations on finishing.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Very nice model  :10_1_10:

But any chance you could reinsert the pictures that have gone missing from the build log?

-Hans Christian

Current build

-La Belle 1684 (Scracth build)

-Oseberg (Billing Boats) (On hold)

-Falmouth (Euromodel) (On hold)

Mark, I can still hear the crackle of the tazer in the air!

Thanks Michael and Jeff.

Thank you Nenseth, I didn't realize some of the pictures had gone astray. I will see what I can do to identify and repost them.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Rusty,

I was asking Anja if she see you around somewhere......

She told me that I have to take a look at the dark side section......

And then I found this !

I wish that she gave me a warning what I'm gonna to see.

Unbelievable !!!!!!

It's a shame on me that I didn't see it grow but man, did you do a great job !

Thanks for one hour of pleasant reading.

Me wouldn't be me if I can not make one remark......

There are a few pictures missing at the log.

Is there  any change that you can re-post them ?

This log is it worth to have all the pictures !!!!!!

Make me a happy man and.......please ????????

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Thank you Daniel. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Hi druxey and thank you!

Hi Sjors, Thank you and you never know where you will find me lurking around! :o  ;)

I have gone back and found the missing pictures. I replaced them from page 21 forward.

I hope I got them all.  

Again thank you all for your kind remarks. :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Rusty, I go away for a few days and find - THIS!  Well done - I love that the final display shows so many of the structural elements while still giving a feel for what the completed section would look like.  As always, that's some very clean and precise work!

Bob

Current build -- MS Bluenose

Future build - MS Flying Fish

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

Wow Rusty when you go the dark side you don't do it by halves do you!

Looks like kits have lost you forever.

An amazing build and beautifully constructed. Still can't get over the pics of the workouts you gave the Sherline Lathe. Great stuff.

What's next for the dark side we all wonder?

Alan

Hi Bob, Thank you for your kind words.

Hi Alan, Well you could I say I did do it in halves or in this case about an eighth.   ;) 

Oh scratch building is a lot of fun but I also enjoy a good kit bash here and there too.

Already in progress is the HMS Winchelsea a Chuck Passaro design. :)  

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

• 1 year later...

Thank you aviamator. I'm glad you liked it.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

• 4 years later...

Great job on this build, Rusty!  I've had these plans forever, and I'm just now spending some time looking at them in more detail.  I've got a question, if you don't mind.  In looking at how the frame riders are laid out over the keelson, I noticed that they don't sit exactly over the frames, and their spacing is not symmetrical.  Therefore the same is true for the mortar pit beams.  Any idea why the plans were drawn this way.  Check out post 135 in this thread.  Thanks!

Hi Dave,

I hope I understand your question and this helps. I believe that the plans (page 38) you refer in that post are a representation of how the construction would look from a side angle and not a true scale drawing. The floor riders do sit squarely on top of the keelson and the center of the mortar pit beam does too.

This is page two of the plans and I believe it shows them lined up. If this isn't what you're referring too please let me know.

DSC00016.thumb.JPG.27c80832d7ba51713c70880947965416.JPG

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

I think you misunderstood, Rusty!

I know that the riders straddle the keelson.  My question is their spacing along the keelson, which also determines the location of the mortar pit beams.  They are not symetrical, and they don't line up withe the frames.  Here is what I mean:  The photo is yours.  The measurements are the spaces between the mortar pit beams for a 1:32 scale model plans.  The arrows show that  the beams (and therefore the riders) don't meat up with the underlying frames.  Notice the far left beam?  I6t straddles two frames, while the far right beam overhangs it's corresponding frame.

mortar pit beams.jpg

Ok I'm on the same page as you now. Someone who knows more about this can definitely correct me if I'm wrong here.

I believe that the frames are more stylized than an exact replica of the actual ship. I also do not know if the mortar pit beams would have had to align with the frames as they sat on the mortar deck clamp and directly over the floor riders for support. As far as the different distances between the clamps on the plans I have no clue. Again they could be stylized or actual representations of the original drawings.   

That's the best I can come up with given my limited knowledge and no copies of the original drawing.:)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B)