Bomb Vessel Granado by Rustyj - FINISHED - 1:24 - cross-section

Hi Pete. There were several different heights and a lot of blade adjustments!

Also a little fine tuning was done with a file.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

More nice "set up" Rusty. By the time you get to actually start this project, you'll be so well "set up", that the build will seem to take no time at all! ;)

Rusty - grant is right that if this setup work continues at this pace there won't be much actual work to be done.

Nice work on the keel with the saw, I just ordered some Byrnes toys, can't wait until they arrive and I get to play with them on my Echo.

Ben

So what did you end up ordering Ben? As I recall you had a bonus cheque to spend (with the Admiral's blessing).

Yes do tell!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Ok seeing that the pieces for the keel had all been cut to size I figured it wouldn't to start assembling it.

Here is the hog, keel, false keel (upper) and false keel (lower).

post-43-0-12841100-1367069594_thumb.jpg

Hog and keel clamped together and drying,

post-43-0-21068900-1367069601_thumb.jpg

False keel drying too.

post-43-0-09394400-1367069602_thumb.jpg

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Hi Ben,

That’s great you’ll love it! The wood is swiss pear and the false keel

is ebony. I have a little left and figured it was a good place to use it.

After gluing the two sections together I cut out the pattern that shows the

rabbet location, transferred it to the keel and then cut it out using a V grove chisel.

post-43-0-67058100-1367455602_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-83577400-1367455603_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-36223000-1367455605_thumb.jpg

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Rusty, you are getting seriously accomplished with cutting the rabbit with a chisel, when I get setup I'm going to make my keel and rising wood for the Echo again using the JimSaw to see the difference between it and markI hand tool version.

Ben

• 1 month later...

wow at last - i have found my first scratch build - 

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Thanks Grant and Ben.

Joe, I'm here, there and everywhere. I flit from place to place. Probably because it harder to

hit a moving target. Work has slowed here with the limited summertime availability of shop time.

Kevin, you’ll love it and it is huge! After getting the plans I went and had 3 copies of the frames

made and one extra copy of everything else and kept the masters to double check everything.

Did I mention it’s huge? Now get back to work on the Victory so you can join me! :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Hi Rusty,

Nice to know you are getting at least sometime in the workshop, I just finished painting the Confed cannons last night! 20 coats and I'm finally happy with them. I'm going to try blacking the Echo cannons but really want to think about the best product to use, sooooo many conflicting points of view on MSW to consider.

Hope to see some updates on the Bomb soon.

Ben

Hi Ben, 20 coats is impressive. Ten is about my max. As you've said there are

so many ways to do cannon barrels but I find I like painting them the best.

Can't wait to see them mounted. :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

• 1 month later...

Hi Rusty,

Am really enjoying your build. Terrific work. Am awestruck at the physical size of the section. A museum piece fore sure!!!

Wish you well as you move along!

Cheers,

Hopeful aka David

"Standards set are standards met".

• 1 month later...

Hi David and E&T, Thanks for looking in. Sorry for the delay but I missed your posts.

Well I’ve finished the Triton cross section and she’s safely tucked away in her case.

Now it’s time to get back to the “set up”. Now where was I had left off? Oh yes I had

completed the keel and now it is time to cut out the pieces for the frames. There are a

total 17 frames 5 of which are doubles so that’s 22 frames to make. I will take and cut

up the frame plans and use temporary paper glue to adhere them to the cherry billets.

post-43-0-94169900-1378657043_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-75757600-1378657042_thumb.jpg

Then I will use the scroll saw to cut them out, over lay them on the plans and then glue

them up using wood glue. It doesn't show but remember the wood for the frames is

1/2" (12.7mm) thick.

post-43-0-79847800-1378657044_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-80862200-1378657045.jpg

And here is a single and double frame all glue together and the chocks added.

post-43-0-79851800-1378657046_thumb.jpg

Two down and a whole bunch more to go.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thank you Pete, Bob and E&T for your interest! :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thanks Grant.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Hi Rusty,

It's time I join the cheering section and follow your 1/24 scale build. I happen to have the Bomb Section plans in my inventory but every time I look at the size on that beauty in 1/24 I shy away. Maybe watching you put your skills to work and learning will encourage me to change my mind. Need to start thinking about a future project after the Triton Cross Section. :)

The jig and your startup frames are looking good.

Edited by Paddy

1st Year Apprentice :mellow:

A new member of the NRG as of 8/28/13

Work in Progress -

Triton 28 Gun Frigate Cross Section 

Thanks Paddy,

You know you can always have the plans reduced to the Triton scale. It would

save a lot on the wood costs and completed size. If I had to purchase the wood

in 1/2" billets I don't think I would have done it at this scale either. :huh: 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Working on the frames here and there is an interesting way they designed the sweep and gun port openings. As you can see from the plans they are all cut out prior to installing the frames. I used the

Byrnes table saw and disk sander to make the cuts. 

post-43-0-67874300-1378857086_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-09013700-1378857071_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-20843500-1378857073_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-33345100-1378857078_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-65591300-1378857080_thumb.jpg

The nice thing is that if they are off a bit I can adjust them as the upper hull

is planked inside and out. :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Moving on making frames here and I forgot to mention that when I added

the chocks to the frames I left them a little proud. After that I used a spindle

sander to clean them up.

post-43-0-42343500-1379196581_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-76671500-1379196574_thumb.jpg

Here I’ve placed the bracing around the keel on the building board to hold it

in place while I test fit the first of the frames.

post-43-0-60519400-1379196586_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-03135900-1379196592_thumb.jpg

Here are the first two frames set temporarily on the keel in the jig.

post-43-0-25380400-1379196597_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-77103400-1379196602_thumb.jpg

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

WOW Rusty, nice progress there, everything looks nice and sharp, and really well done on cutting in the gun port placements.

Great to see yet another of your builds progressing.

Ben

Hi Ben,

Thanks and it's great to hear you are back from your vacation. :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B)