Bomb Vessel Granado by Rustyj - FINISHED - 1:24 - cross-section

I’m still chugging along with assembling the frames. Slow but steady she goes.

Here are a few more done and test fitted to the keel and framing jig.

post-43-0-51289800-1379537080_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-29914400-1379537086_thumb.jpg

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

What a massive frames!

You might need a crane to rise them and put´em in place...

At that scale the amount of detail you are going to put on her is going to be amazing! I cannot imagine myself working at that scale. There´s something magic when you see a model of that dimensions in a museum.

Best wishes.

Daniel.

Thanks Daniel.

A crane might not be a bad idea. I think I may get a hernia when it come to taking it

out of the framing jig. :huh: Still plugging along here finishing and fitting frames.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Thanks druxey.

When making the double frames the plans show a single treenail on each side of the

joint at the chocks. The size came very close to 3/32”. I used a standard dowel that I

had at that size for the treenail. And no I don’t have a drawplate that size. :P 

post-43-0-11878000-1379970979_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-19008100-1379970983_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-41970700-1379970985_thumb.jpg

Almost done making frames! :36: 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Those frames are massive....  wonderful work Rusty.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hey thanks to all of you for your interest and support. :)

Yeah Ben, Gregs methods were a big help.

Big Frames, Big treenails, Big piles of saw dust! 

Oh yeah and a big pile of frames too!

post-43-0-29488300-1380065571_thumb.jpg

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Rusty, beautiful work as usual, what is that plan behind that big stack o frames?

Yes, inquiring minds want to know.

Bob

Every build is a learning experience.

Current build:  SS_ Mariefred

Completed builds:  US Coast Guard Pequot   Friendship-sloop,  Schooner Lettie-G.-Howard,   Spray,   Grand-Banks-dory

a gaff rigged yawl,  HOGA (YT-146),  Int'l Dragon Class II,   Two Edwardian Launches 

In the Gallery:   Catboat,   International-Dragon-Class,   Spray

Thanks all,

Very observant. Those plans have shown up in many a picture over the years. The plans are

for the OcCre Cazador Xebec which I have been tinkering with on and off over the last three years.

The hull and deck are planked. I figure at the rate I’m going it will be done sometime in 2016! ;)

Hi Chris, Well it’s too early to tell. One thing I know is you don’t have to worry as much about snapping

a frame when they are ½” thick and I swear you could stand on them. Cutting joints and chocks were a

lot easier too but the scroll saw work to cut them out took three times as long and I went through a whole

lot more blades. Another thing is if you make a mistake in a joint it is compounded by the size. What would

be a paper thin gap on the Echo could be very wide on this build.

I can see why people would like the larger scale though. We shall see.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Hi Greg and Grant, thanks for stopping by. Starting to put frames in place! B)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Nice work

Rob

Current build:

Build log: https://modelshipworld.com/topic/25382-glory-of-the-seas-medium-clipper-1869-by-rwiederrich-196

Finished build:

Build log: of 1/128th Great Republic: http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13740-great-republic-by-rwiederrich-four-masted-extreme-clipper-1853/#

Current build(On hold):

Build log: 1/96  Donald McKay:http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/4522-donald-mckay-medium-clipper-by-rwiederrich-1855/

Completed build:  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/gallery/album/475-196-cutty-sark-plastic/

The LORD said, "See, I have set (them) aside...with skills of all kinds, to make artistic designs for work in gold, silver, and bronze, to cut and set stones, to work in wood, and to engage in all kinds of crafts."

Thank you Rob.

Well I’ve installed all of the frames. After fine tuning them so they sat correctly it

was just a matter of gluing one in place, waiting for the glue to set then repeat.

post-43-0-98924800-1380765138_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-80844000-1380765141_thumb.jpg

To strengthen the frames for when I remove the cross section from the framing jig I

glued blocks between the frames at the area of the wales and then at the tops of

the frames.

post-43-0-49290000-1380765136_thumb.jpg

I also thought about installing blocks between the frames at the keel but instead I

drilled through the frames into the keel and glued in a dowel. Now those frames

aren’t going anywhere.

post-43-0-19183600-1380765134_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-04014400-1380765144_thumb.jpg

Next up will be a lot of sanding the frames to fair it up. I’ll start with the inboard while

it’s still in the framing jig and install some of the interior framing and clamps to strengthen

it even more.

Well I’m off on a short vacation so I’ll be away from a computer. Hopefully the withdrawal

pains won’t be too severe! :o 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Have a nice break, come back soon to continue the lovely work

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Fabulous work.  Enjoy your break!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Hi Rusty.

Very nice build. Loads of frames completed and looking very clean.

Will be following this build with interest.

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Well I made it back last night and I popped on for a quick look see and man has

everyone been prolific while I was gone. I'll have to take a couple of days off from

work just to catch up on all the posts.

I want to thank you all for stopping by and for you kind words and interest in this build.

Work, yeah like it’s work ;) , will resume tonight. :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B)