Bomb Vessel Granado Cross Section by Rustyj - 1:24 - Finished

Fantastic joinery, Rusty.  Are you finding things easier with the larger scale?  Or just "different"?

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi Ben, Yeah I thought it was kinda neat. I had set the sander next to it while getting more paper

then thought it was a good reference to the size.

Thanks Mark, I guess “different” would be the correct word. The size throws off what we are used to

doing. When doing joints a little flick of a chisel or knife would fix a bad fit. Here a little off requires

the removal of a ½” wide piece of wood!

On the plus side there is a lot more to hang onto so the tips of my fingers have suffered less. :o 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

The inboard hull planking below the motor deck clap has been installed. I still have to drill

it for the treenails and then it’s on to building the home for the cannon balls.

post-43-0-66173100-1383002026_thumb.jpg

Here are the plans showing the assembly and it’s placement.

post-43-0-52221600-1383002030_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-74608600-1383002028_thumb.jpg

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Now that the floor riders are in I’ve started the floor for the shell room. All of the

beams are cut from some white poplar I had kicking around.

post-43-0-68853800-1383174319_thumb.jpg

The beams and posts will be sealed with a natural stain prior to the application of wipe on poly.

Here are the shell room floor beams test fit.

post-43-0-61469400-1383174321_thumb.jpg

And the completed floor with the beams and walkways which are made with boxwood.

post-43-0-25442000-1383174323_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-85654400-1383174324_thumb.jpg

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thanks Bob and Joe,  It's sure different than anything else I've done and a nice change.

It will be interesting to weight it when I'm all done as its getting heavy already. :blink: 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thanks Chris, It's great to hear from you.

The cutting out of the parts and the assembling of the shell room is progressing.

The shelves are made from cherry and the posts from poplar. Each shelf will

have a depression sanded into it for the mortar shell to set in.

post-43-0-74948300-1383408062_thumb.jpg

Here you can see one row set in place for a test fit.

post-43-0-42390600-1383408068_thumb.jpg

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

That looks terrific Rusty. Can you explain a little more about how you achieved the depressions for the mortar bombs please? (You just mentioned that you sanded them in).

Cheers,

Edited by gjdale

Thanks Joe, I'll keep the picture coming, that is when I remember to take them! :huh:

Hi Grant, I am too brief sometimes. Sorry about that. :(  I took a 3/8" (9.5mm) drill and used it to

make a small depression in the center of the shelf. I then used 100 grit sandpaper on the tip of my

finger and just kept turning it in the depression until I had it the way I wanted it. I then finished it

with some 220 to smooth it out.

Kinda like sticking you finger in your ear and twisting back and forth when it itches! :D 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

I’ve assembled the two other rows for the shell room, glued the cannonballs in place

and set all three rows in place. I then added the top beams just like the bottom beams.

post-43-0-63654600-1383699944_thumb.jpg

Here you see the plans for the mortar pit beams and planking as well as the beams cut

out as per the plans.

post-43-0-07397000-1383699933_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-10739900-1383699935_thumb.jpg

The mortar pit beams have been cut and test fit into place on top of the shell room. The

bottom of each beam is notched to fit over the top beams of the room.

post-43-0-93238600-1383699936_thumb.jpg

Here you see the notches cut into the tops of the mortar pit beam and ready to accept

the mortar pit boundary timber.

post-43-0-40562100-1383699938_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-93900400-1383699939_thumb.jpg

Thanks for stopping by! :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

I'm sorry.....that looks better then the real thing.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Oh my :blush:  thank you all. You are too kind.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Hi Rusty Just checking in for the first time, very nice workmanship That is a large cross section.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

Thanks Michael and welcome aboard.

I’ve cut and fit the mortar pit boundary timbers. Between these two timbers will be a first

row of decking. It is cut from boxwood and the calking is simulated using black construction

paper. Doing the pencil on the edges just looked too thin at this scale.

post-43-0-62738000-1383922585_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-54245500-1383922597_thumb.jpg

Here I’ve cut out the plans showing the second layer of planking that will go right over the

top of the first. You will notice that a nice circle is formed in the middle for the mortar.

Seeing I don’t have a drill bit that big it should be interesting getting the hole round.

post-43-0-68062800-1383922590_thumb.jpg

Well this will be the last post for awhile. We are off to the land of oranges, alligators and a

talking mouse with the grand kids. Should be interesting to see how steady my hand is

when we get back. :huh: 

You all be good now while I’m away! No slacking off or rum rations will be cut! :P 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Rusty -  this some very nice work.  I'm glad to see you keeping busy.  About getting that hole to come out round, I imagine it would be easier if you could do the rounding before attaching the planks to the underlying deck - I'm just not sure how that would be done.

I'm curious that the second layer seams line up with the lower layer.  I'd think that offsetting them a bit would add strength to the structure.  Sometimes I wonder why they did things the way they did.

Enjoy your trip - that can be a lot of fun with the grandkids along.  If the food and wine festival is still going on at Epoct, avoid that park on the weekends.  Lots of locals show up to "drink around the world" and it can get ugly - Walt would be rolling over in his grave.

Bob

Current build -- MS Bluenose

Future build - MS Flying Fish

"A ship is safe in harbor, but that's not what ships are for." - William G. T. Shedd

Hi Pete, Glad to hear you are enjoying it.

Hi Bob,

I wondered the same thing about the upper and lower planking but they are different widths

so the majority of the planks overlap. It looks like that all but one plank on each side will be

an overlap. Once I cut the planks and add the construction paper I’ll know for sure. As far as

assembly of the second planking I will do it off model. I plan on using lengths just long enough

to get into the circle and then cut it close with the scroll saw and finish with a drum sander.  

Again that’s the “plan”. ;)

As far as mouse world goes thanks for the hint. We always try to avoid the weekends whenever

possible. Especially this being a holiday weekend. :)

Well the Admiral is waiting so it’s Hi Ho Hi Ho and out the door I must go. :D 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B)