Bomb Vessel Granado by Rustyj - FINISHED - 1:24 - cross-section

Hello Rusty.

I think we are all looking forward to the next installment of your build :)

Regards Antony.

Best advice ever given to me."If you don't know ..Just ask.

Completed Mayflower

Completed Fun build Tail boat Tailboat

Completed Build Chinese Junk Chinese Pirate Junk

Completed scratch built Korean Turtle ship 1/32 Turtle ship

Completed Santa Lucia Sicilian Cargo Boat 1/30 scale Santa Lucia

On hold. Bounty Occre 1/45

Completed HMS Victory by DeAgostini modelspace. DeAgostini Victory Cross Section

Completed H.M.S. Victory X section by Coral. HMS Victory cross section

Completed The Black Pearl fun build Black Queen

Completed A large scale Victory cross section 1/36 Victory Cross Section

Hi all. I've been looking ahead and they don't show treenails for the inboard planking and my feeble mind is

trying to figure out the correct size a treenail should be at this scale. Now if 1/2 inch = 1foot then would

1/16" treenails be 1 1/2" @  scale?

Then if that's correct would 1 1/2" treenails be the right size?

Help!!!!!!!! :huh: and thanks  :)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: Speedwell

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Rusty,

Not sure if I've understood your question correctly, but your maths is correct. That is, if your "real life" tree nail is 1 1/2", then at your chosen scale of 1:24, this would be 1/16". As to whether 1 1/2" tree nails are correct in the first place, I've no idea!

Hi Grant, Thanks for confirming my math.

Now I have to try and figure out what size treenail to use.

One down and one to go. :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Completed Build Logs:  HMS Winchelsea 1/48   Duchess of Kingston USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Ok I did a little experiment. I took a plank that the plans call for that is 13 scale inches wide.

I pulled a treenail to a size 55 on the Byrnes draw plate and it would equate to a little over

1 scale inch. Visually it looks good to me.

post-43-0-26512400-1381261168_thumb.jpg

I might try it a little smaller. Maybe ¾ of an inch at scale.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thanks Sinan.

OK the test continues.

The treenails on the right are approx 1 1/4 of an inch while the ones on the left are 3/4 of an inch.

post-43-0-17989200-1381277593_thumb.jpg

The colors are different because I used scrap wood. The one on the right are closer to what the color will be.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Hi Rusty,

I'm no expert, but the larger ones look "right" to me.

Grant and Bob thanks for your opinion on the treenails. I too like the larger one.

To me it’s better on the eye. I’ll hold off for a while on making a final decision though.

Here I’ve made the false keel. It calls for the top edges to be beveled and to do this I used

the Byrnes table saw with my new tilting table. Once I figured out the angle it worked great.

No surprise there. :)

post-43-0-47031300-1381360336_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-49126200-1381360337_thumb.jpg

I then glued the false keel in place. I used a second piece clamping the ends to hold it in

place. I also put a ¼” thick piece in the middle between the false keel and the second

piece to put pressure there until the glue dried.

post-43-0-68027700-1381360339_thumb.jpg

Next up will be making the deck clamps and floor riders.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

For a vessel of Granado's size 3/4" treenails are correct. However, it's your decision as you are the one that has to be happy with the result! She's looking very good so far.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

Hi druxey. Thank you for letting me know the correct size! When I get there 3/4" it is! :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thank you Greg. She's fun so far.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Hi Ben,

Thanks for stopping by and yes it is fun to experiment. I believe the smaller ones

are closer to scale so you will be seeing them again.

Onward we go. The mortar deck clamps have been cut and test fit.

post-43-0-25918100-1381965260_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-47601400-1381965262_thumb.jpg

I have also started cutting out the floor riders and will have to shape them to fit the hull.

post-43-0-94441700-1381965255_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-90857100-1381965257_thumb.jpg

So much fun and so little time! ;)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

As I was making the floor riders I looked ahead in the plans at the shell room

as that comes after the floor riders. I measured up the cannon balls, went to the

shot locker and I just couldn’t understand why I didn’t have any cannon balls

big enough. I mean they are only 14mm (.55”).

So I had a not so bright idea. I tip toed into the Admirals craft room, located her

stash of jewelry making supplies and found some 14mm beads. Then with the

saddest face I could make asked permission to use them.

Permission was granted, hole on one end filled, paint administered and tada cannon balls!

post-43-0-01214300-1382116966_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-08776100-1382116968_thumb.jpg

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Nice find  ---- and congrats on the negotiation skills :D  :D

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Great idea for those cannon balls, Rusty.

It's hard to tell from the photo but did you pare back the inside edge of the mortar clamp so that the beam fits properly athwartships?

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Thanks Augie. A mans gotta do what a mans gotta do. ;) 

Hi Greg. The simple answer is yes and no. As the clamp is tacked temporarily in place

for measurements etc I’ve not made the final adjustments to it for the deck beams. Also

the hull is laying on its side which makes it look  even worse. Thanks. :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Hi Ben and thanks. It was good to see you back at the echo cross section but no nothing

from me on the echo right now. That’s a story I’ll have to post there sometime soon.

Here are all of the floor riders constructed. Then I took and numbered each one as they would

be unique as I'm sanding them to fit both the hull frames and the mortar deck clamp.

post-43-0-51551700-1382397736_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-15893200-1382397744_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-79929500-1382397729_thumb.jpg

Once they are finished and in place it will time to put the limited inboard hull planking.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thanks Greg and Grant.

Greg I owe it all to you from when you showed how to use the disk sander and chisels on the Echo Cross Section! :) 

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Thanks Bob, very appreciated.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Hi Ben, Thanks for your continued support. I’ve done a couple of admiralty

style POF’s already and I’m not sure when I will do a full one again.

So many things to build. ;)

Well the floor riders have been shaped and installed along with the motor deck

clamps. I’ve also placed the first of the inboard planking between the keel and

the deck clamps. The channel has been cut for the limber boards too.

post-43-0-49316000-1382746183_thumb.jpg

post-43-0-73715700-1382746185_thumb.jpg

Seeing that the clamps and riders are installed the framing is stable enough to fair

the outer hull now. So I took her outside and seeing she is so big I was able to use a

palm sander I normally use on full size work to rough her in.

post-43-0-68111400-1382746195_thumb.jpg

Here you see one side has been done with 80 grit. I’ll work out to 220 grit for now.

post-43-0-28953700-1382746188_thumb.jpg

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B)